Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona Accommodation - Some advice please?
Quote | Reply
Greetings!
Could I get some recommendations on accommodation for IM world champs in Kona?
Would be great to hear the communities’ thoughts and previous experiences.
I’m taking my partner and parents so will need two rooms. We like the idea of a condo with a kitchen so we can prepare our own food although open to ideas.
Part of the problem here is it looks like I have a lot of choice and want to make sure I get the best I can.
I guess ideally we would be within walking distance of all the activity but also just far enough away to be able to 'escape'.
Additionally, being close (walking distance) to the sea is advantageous.
If it matters I’m looking to arrive on the 1st and leave on the 12th.
Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Accommodation - Some advice please? [JimbobTheGreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The basic choices at the macro level are in town or out of town - at one of the resort areas north of the Airport, the most popular one being Waikoloa.

If it's in town, the next more micro-choice is within walking distance or not, and how far are you will be willing to walk. Beyond that, you can still be in-town, but then far enough away that you will need a car.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go onto VRBO and search for 2BR condos in Kailua-Kona. There are a zillion condos along Alii Drive; it really gets down to your price range (VRBO has condos in all price ranges). My personal preference is to find a condo no more than a mile from Dig Me Beach. That way everything is easy walking distance. You escape the crowds by sitting on your condo's lanai and watching the waves roll in. Only one caution: a lot of the condos were built a long time ago, and the salty, humid air is not kind. I've stayed in several that had seen better days. Still extremely serviceable and comfortable; just dated. If you're looking for true luxury, stay at a resort.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Accommodation - Some advice please? [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely agree with everything Eileen said!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've stayed at the Kona Maki twice and really liked it. It's about 1.5 miles from the pier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona Reef , within a mile of dig-me and on ALII Drive .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my timeshare which is a massive 2 bedroom, at the Kona Coast Resort booked from Oct.2-9, 2016. Extra days can be added on either end to accomodate your stay. I have 3 kids, and they love it there. Two nice big pools, hot tubs, tennis courts, shuffle board, workout room. Really nice place, and you can check out the blowholes at sunset. It sits on a golf course, about 6 miles from the pier. I am just looking to recoup my maintenance fee of $1250 US for the week. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Accommodation - Some advice please? [irondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aloha IronDave,

I did a search on the forum to see if by any chance someone cancelled out of their accommodations. I know this post is well over a year old but I thought I'd reach out and see if by any chance your condo was available from October 12th (Thursday) through October 16th (Monday).

Thank you in advance.
Mahalo.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Accommodation - Some advice please? [skiingsk8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I already have it booked. Let me know earlier for next year, and I can book you in.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone is still looking for Accommodations in Kona for the IRONMAN World Championships in a couple of weeks, I may have some possible options for you. Please send me a PM.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Accommodation - Some advice please? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As another FYI (in addition to Fleck's post) for anyone still looking for 2017 lodging, Ken Glah/Endurance Sports Travel has some options.
Quote Reply