Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to stop my P2 (2015) seatpost from slipping?
Quote | Reply
I did a search. Seems there's no lack of folks with seatposts slipping on Cervelos, but I didn't see a thread that addressed the new(est) clamping method they're utilizing.

My LBS has put the gritty grease (I have no idea what it actually is) on the seatpost. I mark it with electrical tape (even tried building it up with a layer of tape) and it does no good. It'll be back to a lower position in a ride or two.

I'm battling runner's knee..............and this seatpost is a PITA (and knee). What can I do about it?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop my P2 (2015) seatpost from slipping? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had this issue with my 2012 cervelo p3. mechanic put some loctite in the screw. problem solved.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop my P2 (2015) seatpost from slipping? [ghostrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Semi related story... I went to a local lbs and told them I had a problem with the seat post slipping. The mechanic said he usually wiped his hand on the shop floor to pick up some dirt and would rub it on the seat post. I watched him very closely while he worked on my bike that day and never went back.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar situation on my Venge, no amount of fiber grip helped, even exceeded torque spec after a talk with my specialized rep and it still slipped. They finally said it was a known issue and replaced the post with a later edition. Try contacting customer service and see what they say.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take the seatpost out. Get a can of Aqua Net super hold hair spray. Spray that sucker down GOOD, and re-install it before it dries.

Bam, no slip.

Another thing I've heard of doing is creating shims out of an aluminum can or foil, and stuffing down there. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop my P2 (2015) seatpost from slipping? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if doing thr shim method with aluminum can scrap, make sure you use fiber grip on both sides od the can to avoid corrosion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there play between the post and tube? I used a small amount of epoxy on a friends tube to build up a little from he insertion point down. Then sanded and used carbon paste and it never slipped again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try putting loctite on the seat-post itself. I use this method when I build a prosthesis that uses a carbon pylon in a tube clamp, slippage problems disappear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sell it. I'm on my second seat post in 4 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you buy the bike new from an authorized Cervelo dealer? Did you register the bike? If so, I've found Cervelo customer service to be very responsive. I'd call them directly instead of emailing for faster service to get a recommended solution. They provided me with a new seat post for my four year old P4 recently. Maybe just a simple warranty issue.
Last edited by: gphin305: Aug 30, 16 9:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
I did a search. Seems there's no lack of folks with seatposts slipping on Cervelos, but I didn't see a thread that addressed the new(est) clamping method they're utilizing.

My LBS has put the gritty grease (I have no idea what it actually is) on the seatpost. I mark it with electrical tape (even tried building it up with a layer of tape) and it does no good. It'll be back to a lower position in a ride or two.

I'm battling runner's knee..............and this seatpost is a PITA (and knee). What can I do about it?

Thanks.

I'm assuming that everything is being tightened to a torque spec (8nm, which is higher than most think), grease is being applied to the wedge bolt and mechanism, and the assembly paste is being used....?

If not that, time to get to race weight! (just kidding, but the above represents my recommendations)
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop my P2 (2015) seatpost from slipping? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8Nm? yeah, no clue it was that high, I do 4 without issue

and why are we responding to t thread from Feb??
Last edited by: jeffp: Aug 30, 16 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop my P2 (2015) seatpost from slipping? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one of the only useful things in the cervelo owner's manuals is the torque specs. pretty sure it's 8. also, didn't realize thread was old. now i feel like a lemming

:(
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop my P2 (2015) seatpost from slipping? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
one of the only useful things in the cervelo owner's manuals is the torque specs. pretty sure it's 8. also, didn't realize thread was old. now i feel like a lemming

x2....never noticed. But, torque spec on mine is 10 yet it cracked at 8.7 using my new topeak digital.....after 4 years of tightening by hand with no issues. Go figure.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop my P2 (2015) seatpost from slipping? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Take the seatpost out. Get a can of Aqua Net super hold hair spray. Spray that sucker down GOOD, and re-install it before it dries.

Does it help to play some Whitesnake or Dokken in the background at the same time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although it's a different mechanism, I had issues with this on my 2012 P3. I actually stripped the socket by over-tightening and had to have my LBS drill it out and install a new, slightly wider "stint" of sorts. Needless to say I am very careful tightening down this bolt now. The solution I've found is to cut two squares of aluminum out of a coke can or something and use them as shims on the side of my seat post. I have electrical tape on my seat post where it enters the frame that doubles to mark my correct saddle height and holds the two pieces of aluminum in place. It's not elegant, and I'm annoyed that I have to do it, but it's simple and it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

On my 2012 P2, it says "max 4nm" on the seatpost clamp. I always tighten it to 4 and have never had a slip issue since the bike was new.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stop my P2 (2015) seatpost from slipping? [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you have a different seatpost clamp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my 2010 P2 the solution that worked for me was folded up aluminum baking foil around the very front of the post together with Tacx carbon assembly compound on the seat post.
Quote Reply