Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Survival of the Shawangunks - Shoe recommendation
Quote | Reply
Doing my first SOS race this year and I'm turning to the "experts" of triathloning to get some gear advice. My road shoes are the Hoka Huaka and Saucony Kinvara, so I like the 4mm drop and flexibility of the soles. I normally run trails in the Hoka Rapa Nui 2, but these seem a little bulky to shove down my shorts for the swims at SOS. What lightweight, moderate cushioning, 4mm-ish drop, shoveable-down-shorts trail shoes do you think are appropriate?

I'm currently leaning towards the Saucony Peregrine or the Altra Superior, although I'm a little concerned about the 0mm drop on the Altra.

Taking recommendations for shoes or any general advice you may have for the race. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Shawangunks - Shoe recommendation [MSUtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trials are carriage roads. Nothing technical at all. I just wore normal running shoes and swam with them on my feet instead of shoving them down my shorts. However, with that said, I did it in 2006 when there were fewer good trail running shoe options, I sprained my ankle during one of the runs, and I came in pretty close to last place. I have a pair of Peregrines - I think they would be the perfect choice. Altras and Hokas would be pretty bulky whether you shove them down your shorts or swim with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the last swim with my shoes still on, and felt like a slug, so personally I wouldn't do that again. That said, by the time I got to the last swim I was cramping pretty badly so I certainly wasn't maintaining good form.

As for the shoes, I would start by practicing putting your first choice shoes in your shorts and see how it compares to a lighter pair. You may not notice too much of a difference. One tip is to wear two pairs of lycra shorts to make sure any grit from the shoes is kept off your skin. The outer pair of shorts should be less tight to allow for the shoes. I put one shoe on each hamstring, heel towards my knee, and that worked well. Some go with the one shoe front and one back option. Just experiment in the pool and ignore the weird looks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my 2010 race report:
"Most of the runs are on carriage trails. I ran in Zoot Ultras. They were perfect. Lubed’em up with vaseline and nary a blister at the finish."

IIRC you race AmZof as well. Although both are in the Gunks, the SOS trails, for the most part, are much less technical. You definitely don't need trail shoes just something light with good drainage.

I would suggest running a bit with no socks to build up some callouses. Unfortunately, it may cost you a pair of sneakers cuz they will stink, but it's the price you pay for doing the best race on the planet.

Good luck and enjoy.

ps. hopefully Baliman chimes in - he's the man to listen to (other than swimming w/o goggles -I still don't know how he does that!)
Last edited by: stillrollin: Jan 27, 16 7:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite a bit has been written on this subject before. Let me try to summarize ... the fast kids who have done this race at least 5x will try to minimize everything you can think of. As an example ... and so that stillrolling can get a kick out of it :-) ... I don't bring goggles ... and swear that I swim the shortest distance in Awosting because of it. As you mention Kinvaras, I tried that a few years ago b/c I had convinced myself that I am frigging old (true) and may actually run faster (downhills anyway) with the ample Kinvara cushioning ... nope, the following year I was back in my racing flats and had a much better time overall. While the overall run distance is nothing to laugh about ... the leg with the most downhill running (relative) is only 5 miles. What else can I say ... other than you will love the race (because it's the best on this planet) ... and that even though you might do really well ... chances that you are going to nail it the first time are rather slim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also went with zoot ultras and am in again for 2016 and will use the zoots. I took them off in the water and just shoved them between my legs like a pull buoy, at the exit put them on in the water and "ran" out. As noted it's mostly carriage trails but there are a few slightly technical sections. Nothing that needs trail shoes though.

Also sockless
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Shawangunks - Shoe recommendation [baliman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree completely, you won't nail everything your first try (or more) but racing flats all the way. I have used Saucony A5/6 and put silicone in the drain holes in the bottoms to prevent rocks to come though (do the same at AmZof) and it works perfectly. The runs at SoS are not technical and very fast for "trail" runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Shawangunks - Shoe recommendation [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
IIRC you race AmZof as well. Although both are in the Gunks, the SOS trails, for the most part, are much less technical. You definitely don't need trail shoes just something light with good drainage.

Yea, I've done AmZof for the past 4 years. Not this year though. That was my concern was how technical the trails are. But if it's just carriage roads then I don't need anything with a rock-plate or anything like I use at Zofingen. I might just go with the Kinvara or spend some cash on the Saucony A5 or A6 like others suggested.

Thanks for the tips! I'm just excited to do the race. I don't anticipate everything will go perfectly. But I love this crazy shit, so either way it'll be fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x3 on Zoot Ultra TT. I stuffed them down the front of a one-piece tri suit during the swims. Ended up with some chafing on my chest, but I thought it was better than sticking them in my shorts. Put the shoes on while you're still in the water--will keep 99% of the sand and gravel out of your shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wetsuit would seem antithetical to the minimalist approach...but what about that cold water? Should I worry? First time SOSer.
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Shawangunks - Shoe recommendation [jeremiahfm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True ... the lakes will be colder than in the last couple of years ... when they were exceptionally warm. If this concerns you, you can:

1. Use a neoprene vest. Extremely easy to put on and take off ... and to carry. I did this twice many years ago
2. Use a shortie and don't take it off on the runs. Just roll it down to the hips. Works well. I have never done this at SOS but at a Run-Swim race last year.
3. Bring a long john and take it off every time you exit the water. I wouldn't do it but this is exactly what the winner did a couple of years ago.
4. HTFU :-)

See ya on Sun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much Baliman!! Good luck on Sunday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran it in Nike Frees. They were light weight and the heel collapsed easily so I tucked them into my trisuit for the swims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baliman wrote:
3. Bring a long john and take it off every time you exit the water. I wouldn't do it but this is exactly what the winner did a couple of years ago.

I did the race last year and would not have guessed this could be a winning strategy. I suppose there is always the question of whether he won because of it or in spite of it.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Shawangunks - Shoe recommendation [jeremiahfm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a DNS this year :(''''''', but did it 2014 and 2016. Both years water was pretty nice, low 70s although there was one guy wore a shorty and then pulled it to his waist to run. looked like a PITA to me.

I've seen posts on the FB page that water temp is 70 this year [ETA just checked, Awosting at 64, Minnewaska at 69]? Last time I checked high was 71 for air, so overall a bit of a colder year. I suppose the new(ish) breed of swim/run wetsuits changes the landscape here and makes a wetsuit a bit more palatable.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Sep 8, 17 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Survival of the Shawangunks - Shoe recommendation [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha .... yes. Maybe it didn't work for you because you are not an ex Xterra Pro :-)
ericlambi wrote:
baliman wrote:

I did the race last year and would not have guessed this could be a winning strategy. I suppose there is always the question of whether he won because of it or in spite of it.
Quote Reply