Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Quarq and Left / Right Balance [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
..., then both legs report 30W more during one downstroke than during the other.

Right. And if both legs are providing a 30W difference in power in one position vs. the other, that might be worthy of investigation. Generally speaking, the pedal stroke should be reasonably symmetrical, excepting the well known swings in L-R power so popular to bring up in Stages threads. I guess it would depend on when and how the difference is occurring. But 5% is a reasonable threshold for raising an eyebrow. In my opinion.

Quote:
It requires at minimum an independent measurement of the forces applied to each crank arm or pedal in order to answer the question

Right....in my first post in this thread I think I said, "Get some Vector pedals to verify" with the unspoken intent being to get independent L/R measurement.

Quote:
But the premise that one needs to apply extra power to lift a leg while pedalling isn't correct, since the energy to do that is provided by the other descending leg.

And that premise is based upon the premise of perfect unweighting of the rising leg. If some assymetry in timing, etc, is resulting in the rising leg actually exerting some sort of resisting force against the pedal, that would be *one* explanation for both legs providing 30W more power in one orientation vs. the other. And might be worth looking into.

Or you you could just shrug and say, "5%, whatever" and move on with life, and stop trying to explain data with no obvious answer. Which, odds are, is probably just fine in the grand scheme of things.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq and Left / Right Balance [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dual-sided measurements + WKO4 FTW.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq and Left / Right Balance [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
And that premise is based upon the premise of perfect unweighting of the rising leg
The basic physics principle applies whether or not one is pulling up or actively resisting. I never said anything about perfect unweighting, besides that's a red herring wrt to the power required to move legs up and down when they are connected to coupled cranks.

trail wrote:
If some assymetry in timing, etc, is resulting in the rising leg actually exerting some sort of resisting force against the pedal, that would be *one* explanation for both legs providing 30W more power in one orientation vs. the other. And might be worth looking into.

Or you you could just shrug and say, "5%, whatever" and move on with life, and stop trying to explain data with no obvious answer. Which, odds are, is probably just fine in the grand scheme of things.
Whether or not it's worth looking into is not a judgement I think you can make with pseudo power balance data. It requires the right tools for the job.

Equally a pseudo power balance might report 50:50 which might initially suggest no further investigation required but in reality you may actually have a power imbalance that may or may not be worth looking into.

Can you see the problem?

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
a pseudo power balance might report 50:50 which might initially suggest no further investigation required but in reality you may actually have a power imbalance that may or may not be worth looking into.

Possible even with 'true' balance measurements.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq and Left / Right Balance [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Put a Quarq spider on my Specialized crank (road bike) and have a couple of questions, specifically as it relates to L/R balance (not that I really care that much).

My ride (2nd ride on it) yesterday came out L:55% ; R:45%. Previous ride was somewhat similar. I'm seriously doubting these numbers, simply because I know my right leg is stronger than my left leg. I know this through my experiences riding PowerCranks (left side fatigues MUCH faster than my right side) and I had a lateral release done on my knee back in '95. There is no way my left leg is stronger than my right....just isn't possible.

So, how does the Quarq determine L vs R leg? Is it possible I put the spider on the crank 180* from where it is supposed to be?

Also, on my first ride, the Quarq wattage was about 10w higher than both the PT numbers and the Computrainer. I'm assuming this is primarily due to a crank PM vs. one "further down" the drivetrain....anyone have any insights here?

thanks!

Perhaps you just unweight much better w/ your right leg? The Quarq would count that as power generated by your left leg.

Looks like this may the correct answer.....part of the workout today included single-leg drills (I don't make the workouts, just ride 'em). The L/R balance from these intervals read as ~80/20 in favor of whichever leg was being used. Obviously since I was not using the other leg in these drills, the Quarq was interpreting the pull phase of my pedal stroke as power being applied to the other side.

Interesting....thanks for everyone's input.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that's a sub-optimal way to diagnose your potential problem. I'd bet your pedal stroke is a lot different when pedaling with 2 legs rather than 1. IMO, you can't just pedal with one leg and draw conclusions about pedaling with two legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq and Left / Right Balance [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
I think that's a sub-optimal way to diagnose your potential problem. I'd bet your pedal stroke is a lot different when pedaling with 2 legs rather than 1. IMO, you can't just pedal with one leg and draw conclusions about pedaling with two legs.

Of course my pedal stroke is different with one leg vs. 2.....

Did you read my other posts on this thread? I know my right leg is stronger than my left, so the fact that my L/R balance comes out as 55%L and 45%R made no sense. Combine this knowledge with the data from today's ride and the insight from one of the smarter guys around re: power analysis and you can reach a logical conclusion as to why it reads that way.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

Did you read my other posts on this thread? I know my right leg is stronger than my left, so the fact that my L/R balance comes out as 55%L and 45%R made no sense. Combine this knowledge with the data from today's ride and the insight from one of the smarter guys around re: power analysis and you can reach a logical conclusion as to why it reads that way.

Just to be clear, all that the difficulty you have with your left leg using Powercranks is actually telling you is that you left leg hip flexors are a good bit weaker than those of your right leg. Your left leg extensors may in fact be stronger than those of your right leg. If this were the case the "pseudo balance" shown by your Quarq would show the pattern you're seeing.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Did you read my other posts on this thread?

Yes, I have. To be blunt, I think you're wasting your time. The Quarq L/R data is not actionable data. It's neat to look at, but it's not measured independently, so it's nothing more than a novelty.

Just because you have a muscular issue with one leg, and you know it's stronger, doesn't necessarily mean your pedal stroke is imbalance as a result. I have a strength difference in my legs as well. I can do 10 pistol squats with my right, and 3 with my left, and yet my pedal stroke was measured as 49/51 during a 20' FTP interval on a set of Vectors.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq and Left / Right Balance [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Just to be clear, all that the difficulty you have with your left leg using Powercranks is actually telling you is that you left leg hip flexors are a good bit weaker than those of your right leg. Your left leg extensors may in fact be stronger than those of your right leg. If this were the case the "pseudo balance" shown by your Quarq would show the pattern you're seeing.

YMMV,

Hugh

If I was just looking at my PC experience, you may be right....but when you combine the PC experience with the end result of my lateral release (part of my quad is detached and I have a permanent 10-15% strength deficit), it tells a different story.

I'm not looking at just one piece of evidence and saying "Ah-ha!!".

Again, I'm not really concerned about the measurements....it was the fact that it was in such sharp contrast to what I am reasonably confident the reality is that I asked the question.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Dzero and a Polar M450, the head unit does not show Power balance, nor Polar Flow website, any one has the same issue?
It might be something wrong with the Polar BLE protocol, read somewhere on dcrainmaker comments.
Quote Reply

Prev Next