Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SRAM red eTAP [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will post a photo tomorrow evening (the bike is getting the once over now - St George next week)

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Don't think I will go for it if I have to clutter the front end. I would much rather they produce bar end shifters that are independent of the blip box.
Quote Reply
eTap Aero Setup on Roadbike [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the eTap Aero Setup on my road bike with Profile Design T4+ Clip-ons. Of course, one set of blips is on the bar ends in BlipGrips; the other set is on the bends, held in place by BlipKlamps just below the hoods.

The under-hood blips were initially covered by or peeking out from the bar tape, but shifting was too difficult. The BlipKlamps solved that problem, with the wire run under the bar tape to the hoods, and over the tape to the BlipKlamps. This allows for free access and adjustability. In this pic, they are a little high. After some testing in different positions, they ended down about 3/4", straight across from the lower silver bars on the brake levers and rotated slightly outward; that made for the most natural feel--very comfortable in the hoods.

Notice, the now obsolete paddle shifters (and related inner-workings) have been removed. All works very well. As smooth as paddle shifters? Probably not; but still a dream for the uphills, rough roads, and sketchy turns.

The view of the cockpit:

"If everything seems in control, you aren't going fast enough" -- Mario Andretti
Quote Reply
Re: eTap Aero Setup on Roadbike [etapaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drilled a hole and screwed the blip box to the stem cap. Very nice of SRAM to have threads on the blip box.

Dremmeled the front of the bento so that I could keep it tight to the stem and not interfer with the cable bends.

Happy with how it looks but I may swap the bento for the xlab 500.
Last edited by: Jnags7: May 3, 16 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: eTap Aero Setup on Roadbike [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you seeing a photo attached? Don't understand why photos are so hard for me on slowtwitch... Took a pic on my phone, replied to thread, attached photo (only let me choose one tho I took 3 angles), posted. Didn't see it. Edited and readded photo. Still don't see it... Is it me or are there still issues w the website?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see a photo, and for me photos don't work. Did you check the Inline box? if so, uncheck that and at least a link to the file will show up.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
Are you seeing a photo attached? Don't understand why photos are so hard for me on slowtwitch... ?

Did you follow the instructions in the "How to Post Pics" thread: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

"If everything seems in control, you aren't going fast enough" -- Mario Andretti
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any reason why didn't you get the road bike eTap group? You can still use the blips with the road shifters and you'd be able to shift from the hoods as well. It would also eliminate the BlipBox.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats from 2011... what is the point of the choose file and attachment at the bottom of the post editor then? And no, too much trouble for all that for a pic.

I do see that on a computer, there is another button called "upload attachment" which isn't visible on the iphone. Neither is the full "post reply". I only see "post rep", scrolling over doesn't work.

So email the photos from my phone to my computer, go boot up my computer and upload via computer so that "upload attachment" is visible. pain... but anyways, did that and get the "attachment exceeds maximum size of 250KB". Over it. If someone wants to see my shitty pictures, send me a PM.
Quote Reply
Re: eTap Aero Setup on Roadbike [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:
Any reason why didn't you get the road bike eTap group? You can still use the blips with the road shifters and you'd be able to shift from the hoods as well. It would also eliminate the BlipBox.

Two reasons:
1. Availability. My LTS had the aero kit and the SRAM rep, who happened to be onsite at the time, said it would likely be Summer before the Road kit would be available in NC.
2. Future plans. My focus this year is tris, so, depending on how the season goes, this time next year I will either transition the kit to a tri frameset or fully revert to road. If the latter, I can always buy a pair of eTap levers and be done with it. In the meantime, this setup seemed like an acceptable solution.

That said, If anyone has a pair of road levers they would like to trade for a blip box and set of blips, give me a shout.

Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys
I have Rotor Qrings and etap, and chain goes off when upshifting to big ring. Any help you can provide me is highly appreciated.
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet another shifter option:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/05/20/sram-etap-clics-make-shifting-triathlon-bike-easy-pushing-button/
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Now if they had just put transmitters in those bar ends, no Blipbox needed, and the only wire went to the blips on the basebar, they would have nailed the TT version of eTap as well as they nailed the road version.

I completely agree and I'm hoping they come out with this soon. Would make it so much easier to clean up the front end of a TT bike.

Graham Barron Design: Custom west coast house design http://www.grahambarron.com/
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [rhet0ric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree. I have the blip box on top of my stem behind the BTA cage. I doubt its creating any extra drag but just looks a bit clunky.

I must say that I just love eTAP. It was super easy to setup and adjust. Hasn't missed a shift. Not one mishap. We get so underwhelmed from Garmin and others with their new products. I give it to SRAM to take forever but getting it right.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2. Speaking of taking forever I'm hoping FSA gets it right with their upcoming electronic (probably wireless) group.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My opinion after approx. 1 month on eTap on my P5 (sorry for the long write up ...):

I Absolutely Love it. The big difference for me is not so much the wireless part, but the advantage of being able to shift from the base bar as well as the bar-ends. That does not differentiate it from Di2. eTap makes it look very clean though with no wires visible on the FD and RD. I do have the blip box mounted in the (what I think) the cleanest way possible on a P5. There is enough room to place it in the XLAB frame-mounted pocket behind the stem, but then the cables get pulled every time you turn the bar. Another big advantage over Di2 is the fact that the batteries are interchangeable and you can charge them quickly. In 1 month of riding (>1000 RD shifts and >100 FD shifts), I have only recharged them 1x and it was more of a "habit" then need. The FD is working well with the O-Symmetric 52 ring upfront, but I would strongly recommend a chain catcher anyway. I have not tried yet it with a 54-tooth O-Symmetric because of time constraint but might do so soon.

Real-estate:
When you set it up, take your time when identifying the place for everything and do mount your BTA with bottle and GPS before deciding where to put everything else. This way, you know where and how much space you have remaining and can identify the best place and spot to mount everything. I needed to drill a hole in my bottle holder so I could mount it further backwards to make enough space for my GPS. The additional advantage is that also my steering feel has improved since the CoG of a full bottle now falls nicely between the top-cap and the hub of the front-wheel so almost perfectly neutral.

Blips / Blip box:
You don't need the blips and you can only use the blip-box. You then obviously lose the ability to shift from the base bar as well. You can just mount the blip box between your extensions using the provided mount and you are done. As you can see in the picture I reverse mounted the blip box on my P5 to assure the cables don't rub against my storage. To do this, I drilled a 10mm hole in the P5's top cap and fixed the mount with a screw to the top (I think it is a M4 thread that the mount has) on the bottom. The mount also has an adhesive, but why risk fixing it with adhesive alone, if you can also lock it in place with a screw . I first tried mounting it in the right direction (top-side upwards) but that meant drilling the hole for the fixing screw directly between the two top-cap screws. I feared I might weaken the top-cap too much by doing that so I reverse mounted it. I now actually find it more useful this way, since when I'm cleaning my bike, typically I face rearwards anyway so it makes it "normal operation" again. In addition, the RD and FD both have a button that you can use during cleaning your bike. Put it in the big cog when you begin cleaning, and after some work, push it a few times so the RD shifts down to the smaller cog and now clean the big cogs that where hidden by the chain. Everything is now clean without any "shift effort".

Extensions:
I had not cut my extension too short (luckily) because after the removal of the shifters and installation of the blips, I needed to add 2.5cm back to have enough reach to place my hands in comfort. Initially, I wrapped bar-tape over the blips, but I find that a) bar-tape tends to wear faster or rip on the blips, b) you loose some of the feel when shifting. Since then (not shown in the pictures), I have re-wrapped my bar and the blips are just peeking through so I can push them directly without the bar-tape removing some of the feel. Especially in cold conditions, when you ride with gloves, this might be extra helpful.

eTap <-> Garmin:
The eTap pairs nicely with my Garmin Edge 1000 and you get a nice statistic on the total of shifts FD & RD. If you take the time (all of 30 seconds) and identify the ring-setup and cassette setup, you can show this as well, or you can show the ratio on your screen. Ideal for the tech-/ data-geeks. I have not yet been able to show the battery-status, which is the only thing I would actually really wanted. My Garmin has a battery-field, but I'm assuming this is for the Di2 one. Maybe SRAM / Garmin will add this later so you can keep an eye on this before you run out of juice. I have not yet checked if it actually pairs with the 925XT.

Long story short: I love it, and since changing, I have not looked back or thought: "wish I had not done this..."

I hope to pickup my eTap road bike soon (it actually is waiting for me, just have to drive to my LBS ...).

Pictures:

Last edited by: shamerli: Jul 5, 16 6:13
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [shamerli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased a eTAP aero kit for my Shiv TT. Has anyone put this on their bike. My questions are about blipbox placement and blips on the brake levers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next