Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“Uhtred” did a cool video post on Facebook confirming Season 4. I wish I knew how to link it, but if you “like” the show on FB, I imagine you’ll see it
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Uhtred of Bebbanburg--

Uhtred, son of Uhtred, who is also, ah...son of Uhtred...and he's...son of Uhtred.
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I did struggle a bit with the King being a bitch and out-casting Uhtred. Come on. Uhtred saved the lives of the King, the Queen and Edward. He also won countless battles for Alfred. He pretty much earned a get-out-of-banishment card for life.

But, still absolutely love the show. Love it.

ME TOO!!!!

Third season was SUPERB.

And to think I almost quit in second episode. And reviewing this thread, I am reminded that I almost quit season two also. Weird, can't think of another show that I loved, yet at moments got frustrated with. I think it is because the main characters had flaws and they stayed true to those flaws -- except -- SPOILER -- Alfred at end. Nice ending for Aethelwold.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:
“Uhtred” did a cool video post on Facebook confirming Season 4. I wish I knew how to link it, but if you “like” the show on FB, I imagine you’ll see it

In this interview at the 18:20 mark he strongly hints there will be a season 4:

Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The video I was referencing wasn't a "strong hint" of Season 4, it was him calling all the other characters together for filming because it was confirmed. Destiny is all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxIQApSV84
Last edited by: sake: Jan 2, 19 12:04
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like the show and prefer it to Vikings (also good).

However, I think the show in general is a bit constrained on where the story can go. Comparing to a show like Game of Thrones which the huge part of the draw and tension is people not having any idea where the story is going or end up.

While Uhtred is a fiction character, the world and historical events in which he exists, is not. So there is really only so much they can do and take with the story arch.

We basically have to assume that the Uhtred in this show will never get Beddanburg, because historically it does not happen.

Obviously the folks who read the books also know where the story goes. I don't, I haven't read them, so only assuming the above.

Thus, they really have to do more with the personal plot lines on a smaller scale in Season 4 to keep people interested.

There is only so many seasons where you can rinse/repeat the story lines. I thought S3 was kind of a repeat basically of S2. Some really sketchy plot devices to rip Uhtred of his land, his love interest, and set Alfred against him (all yet again). I'm assuming all this will continue in future seasons.

I thought the Danes were kind of neutered and ineffectual in S3, they kind of ceased to be a real threat to me, as a viewer. So even that tension was not there to lean on.

Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
I really like the show and prefer it to Vikings (also good).

However, I think the show in general is a bit constrained on where the story can go. Comparing to a show like Game of Thrones which the huge part of the draw and tension is people not having any idea where the story is going or end up.

While Uhtred is a fiction character, the world and historical events in which he exists, is not. So there is really only so much they can do and take with the story arch.

We basically have to assume that the Uhtred in this show will never get Beddanburg, because historically it does not happen.

Obviously the folks who read the books also know where the story goes. I don't, I haven't read them, so only assuming the above.

Thus, they really have to do more with the personal plot lines on a smaller scale in Season 4 to keep people interested.

There is only so many seasons where you can rinse/repeat the story lines. I thought S3 was kind of a repeat basically of S2. Some really sketchy plot devices to rip Uhtred of his land, his love interest, and set Alfred against him (all yet again). I'm assuming all this will continue in future seasons.

I thought the Danes were kind of neutered and ineffectual in S3, they kind of ceased to be a real threat to me, as a viewer. So even that tension was not there to lean on.

Not to drift off topic, but I had problems with the last season of Game of Thrones. I think 8 episodes was too little time. By trying to cram an entire season into 8 episodes, the season became too "plotty" and breathless. It felt very mechanical and inorganic as the writers had to move the characters from point A to point B, to point C in a very brief amount of time. All that speeding up left a lot less time for character development.

The real strength of Game of Thrones is the writer's ability to balance big plot-driven moments with smaller character moments, and I think that balance has been off the last two seasons. I really enjoyed seasons 1 through 5, when it was more about mortals and less about monsters and mysticism.
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

That is a good critique.

To me S3 was a perfect ending season. The Danes stopped being a threat because they were not truly united. England prevailed because they were united even though one elderman (don't recall the elderman but recruited by Aethelwold to attack from the rear) had planned to betray Edward, he couldn't go against England in the end. Thus, while the Danes failed as a threat in this season, there was the internal threat. Unity prevailed against self interest.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Episode 9, Season 3 had one of my favorite scenes. I won't spoil it for anyone but it involved Alfred and Uhtred.

Watching this series has forced me to do more reading about England in the 800s. In his short lifetime, it's amazing what Alfred was able to accomplish in his dream of a united England.
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Season 4 on April 26th according to wikipedia
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:
Season 4 on April 26th according to wikipedia

Wow, that’s awesome. Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
up now

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
up now

Sweet and 10 episodes too. Perfect timing as we’re about done with The 100.
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
H- wrote:
up now

Was The 100 worth it? I watched a few but couldn't quite get into it. I felt it was REALLY cliche at the beginning.
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
H- wrote:
up now

Was The 100 worth it? I watched a few but couldn't quite get into it. I felt it was REALLY cliche at the beginning.

Wife and I like it. It’s typical CW. What we like is each season has a different theme and they end it in the finale so each season ends nicely. They don’t drag stuff out.
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Season 5 dropped onto Netflix today…

Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTF?? I thought it was over after season 4.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! I enjoyed that series. Getting my fill of viking related series with Vikings Valhalla and now the Last Kingdom again.
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
WTF?? I thought it was over after season 4.

I think I read somewhere there will also be a movie to close the series out after series 5.
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like it. Seems a little more grounded that other Viking shows. Love Netflix shows and I use secure vpn android to get access to the US Netflix content. So convy. Now I can watch my favorite shows from every corner of the globe. It is also provides a high level of security.
Last edited by: WilliG: Apr 15, 22 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: The Last Kingdom now on Netflix [WilliG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i like it too, but wtf do they linger on Uhhhhhtred's grimy fingernails in the love scenes
Quote Reply

Prev Next