Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Man in the High Castle [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the catch the scene early in the first season where the double-agent is driving across the country and stops in a small town. He is met by a local sheriff. As they are chatting, the driver notices ash falling from the sky. Do you recall what the sheriff said the reason for the ash was?

That scene still stays with me.
Quote Reply
Re: Man in the High Castle [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terminally ill and mentally deficient IIRC

"Oh, it's Thursday."

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Oct 27, 16 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
twomarks wrote:
Duffy wrote:
mck414 wrote:
I started re-watching earlier this week while visiting the in-laws. My F-i-L had not heard of it, he's hooked now.

I'm wondering how many people realize just how good this is when they're watching it.

I had to point out some things to Mrs Duffy that totally changed her view of the show.

Such as?

Listen to the radio, watch tv, notice what technologies have advanced and what have not. Then fathom the reasons behind all it.

Thanks - was thinking I'd been missing things.
Quote Reply
Re: Man in the High Castle [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there anyway to see this other than subscribing to Amazon Prime? Really want to see it.
Quote Reply
Re: Man in the High Castle [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Is there anyway to see this other than subscribing to Amazon Prime? Really want to see it.

You could subscribe to Amazon Prime.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Yeah but I'm cheap and already do Netflix. Is there anything else on there worth watching that you can't get on Netflix?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Duffy wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Yeah but I'm cheap and already do Netflix. Is there anything else on there worth watching that you can't get on Netflix?

Baskets

Jim Gaffagen Show

Fleabag

TransParent

The Americans

Justified

Some of these shows aren't exclusive to amazon but if you don't have cable it may be the only/fastest way to get them.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signed up for a free 30 day Amazon Prime trial so I've watched the first two episodes.

Pretty good, lots of good actors. Interested to see how it plays out, can't figure out the film reel of actual WWII images, hoping it doesn't end up being some hokey sci-fi thing to explain it all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
twomarks wrote:
Duffy wrote:
mck414 wrote:
I started re-watching earlier this week while visiting the in-laws. My F-i-L had not heard of it, he's hooked now.

I'm wondering how many people realize just how good this is when they're watching it.

I had to point out some things to Mrs Duffy that totally changed her view of the show.

Such as?

Listen to the radio, watch tv, notice what technologies have advanced and what have not. Then fathom the reasons behind all it.

Only watched the first two episodes but I've noticed the jet technology, TV is about what it would have been including corny game shows.
Quote Reply
Re: Man in the High Castle [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Anyone else watching this? I'm into the first episode, and viscerally and unreasonably angry. Like, ready-to-join-the-resistance angry.

Never read the book.

I have watched 1 1/2 episodes and I'm not quite to the point of wanting to join a resistance. My problem with the show is that I'm not hooked yet - it may be because I started watching the first episode months ago.

I'm about 5 or 6 episodes in and will definitely keep watching. It's good but misses on a few points for me, so far.

I don't understand why people are so taken by the fake films, ok interesting, but worth dying over? Why? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The Marshall character is over the top and bit too comic bookish for my taste, doesn't really jive with the rest of the acting in the series.

Who's running the Neutral Zone? There'd be some sort of govt., LEOs. The Marshall seems to just be running around doing what he wants. Is he the law, he never says anything to indicate that. Why does the Jew running the book store seem unaware of his existence but the albino kid in town knows of him?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bosch is the only show I watch through Prime, but it is the reason we got Prime. Season 3 starts in a couple months and they already announced that season 4 is a go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Duffy wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Baskets

Jim Gaffagen Show

Fleabag

TransParent

The Americans

Justified

Some of these shows aren't exclusive to amazon but if you don't have cable it may be the only/fastest way to get them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...and_Tour_(TV_series)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Anyone else watching this? I'm into the first episode, and viscerally and unreasonably angry. Like, ready-to-join-the-resistance angry.

Never read the book.

I have watched 1 1/2 episodes and I'm not quite to the point of wanting to join a resistance. My problem with the show is that I'm not hooked yet - it may be because I started watching the first episode months ago.

I'm about 5 or 6 episodes in and will definitely keep watching. It's good but misses on a few points for me, so far.

I don't understand why people are so taken by the fake films, ok interesting, but worth dying over? Why? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The Marshall character is over the top and bit too comic bookish for my taste, doesn't really jive with the rest of the acting in the series.

Who's running the Neutral Zone? There'd be some sort of govt., LEOs. The Marshall seems to just be running around doing what he wants. Is he the law, he never says anything to indicate that. Why does the Jew running the book store seem unaware of his existence but the albino kid in town knows of him?

I agree with you on the Marshall.

The films significance will probably become more apparent later.

The neutral zone needs no government. Nobody does.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Yeah in fantasy land. In reality some sort of organization would emerge because it's necessary, if for nothing else to protection of some sort. There are business' functioning which suggests so degree of normalcy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Yeah in fantasy land. In reality some sort of organization would emerge because it's necessary, if for nothing else to protection of some sort. There are business' functioning which suggests so degree of normalcy.

Well the currency is marks.

For business to operate all they need is currency. Anything beyond that just gets in the way.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listening to the book now. Not that far in, but definitely more sci-fi, a lot more about the Nazis in space, which I think was alluded to in the TV series but not much focus. Also much more racial, which I thought was strangely not a prominent part of the TV series at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
mck414 wrote:

Are you still talking about the subject line or another show?
Quote Reply
Re: Man in the High Castle [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wife and I just finished season 2. I was disappointed. The whole alternate reality thing is ruining a great premise. They don't need that storyline to make this a great show.
Quote Reply
Re: Man in the High Castle [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But the book has alternative realities.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply

Prev Next