Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendations for Miami Cycling Routes, Spin Classes and Lap Pools?
Quote | Reply
I will be relocating to the Brickell neighborhood in Miami and would love any advice on:

- Any accessible bike routes from the neighborhood. Are there any routes with minimal road traffic that can be accessed from Brickell?
- Would you recommend any cycling or triathlon clubs in the area?
- Indoor cycling studios?
- Lap swimming pools for training?

Thank you,

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for Miami Cycling Routes, Spin Classes and Lap Pools? [returntoglory23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Bike Routes: You'll be living close to Key Biscayne which is where 99.99% of cyclists and triathletes in Miami Train. It's a 15mi loop with bike lanes and is where a lot of the local triathlons are held (check out Multirace.com). You can also hop over one of the bridges to Miami Beach and head North on A1A for all eternity (you can literally bike up A1A to the Ft. Lauderdale Airport, circle the airport, get back on A1A and take that to Palm Beach or farther). There are also some nice routes if you head down south to Homestead (head south from Brickell to Black Point Marina and then into homestead).
CAVEAT: Cycling in Miami is INSANELY dangerous during the work week. People will hit you and take off. I wouldn't recommend biking anywhere but Key Biscayne unless it's a Saturday or Sunday morning. And even then....be wary.

Closest good pools for lap swim are: Charles Hadley Aquatic Complex and Jose Marti Pool. Both are public but most triathletes train there. Costs a few dollars each visit. You can also hop over the causeway to South Beach to the Flaming Park pool. I think it's a bit more expensive if you don't live on the beach (free if you live there) but it's a really nice pool with a beautiful recently re-done public track next door.

Indoor Cycling Studios: I know a lot of people like FlyWheel (google it) but LA Fitness Signature in Mary Brickell Village is pretty nice and has some great instructors (no pool at that location but with a LA Fitness membership you can go to other LA Fitness gyms a few miles way that have indoor pools) .

Cycling or Tri Clubs: There are A LOT of clubs in the area. I am on the City Bikes Team and we have a Saturday morning ride out of the store in Aventura every week at 7am if you want to come mingle. It's a bit North of Brickell though. I live more towards Ft. Lauderdale so I'm only super familiar with the groups up this way. However, there are a lot of shops down there and smaller groups. Try also looking up Alien Endurance and Team Hammerheads which are two of the larger groups I know of.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for Miami Cycling Routes, Spin Classes and Lap Pools? [swimswam1003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't thank you enough for such a helpful response! Do you happen to recommend any bike rental companies in case I'm not able to transport my bike from the northeast down to Florida?

Thank you,

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for Miami Cycling Routes, Spin Classes and Lap Pools? [swimswam1003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimswam1003 wrote:

Bike Routes: You'll be living close to Key Biscayne which is where 99.99% of cyclists and triathletes in Miami Train. It's a 15mi loop with bike lanes and is where a lot of the local triathlons are held (check out Multirace.com). You can also hop over one of the bridges to Miami Beach and head North on A1A for all eternity (you can literally bike up A1A to the Ft. Lauderdale Airport, circle the airport, get back on A1A and take that to Palm Beach or farther). There are also some nice routes if you head down south to Homestead (head south from Brickell to Black Point Marina and then into homestead).
CAVEAT: Cycling in Miami is INSANELY dangerous during the work week. People will hit you and take off. I wouldn't recommend biking anywhere but Key Biscayne unless it's a Saturday or Sunday morning. And even then....be wary.

Closest good pools for lap swim are: Charles Hadley Aquatic Complex and Jose Marti Pool. Both are public but most triathletes train there. Costs a few dollars each visit. You can also hop over the causeway to South Beach to the Flaming Park pool. I think it's a bit more expensive if you don't live on the beach (free if you live there) but it's a really nice pool with a beautiful recently re-done public track next door.

Indoor Cycling Studios: I know a lot of people like FlyWheel (google it) but LA Fitness Signature in Mary Brickell Village is pretty nice and has some great instructors (no pool at that location but with a LA Fitness membership you can go to other LA Fitness gyms a few miles way that have indoor pools) .

Cycling or Tri Clubs: There are A LOT of clubs in the area. I am on the City Bikes Team and we have a Saturday morning ride out of the store in Aventura every week at 7am if you want to come mingle. It's a bit North of Brickell though. I live more towards Ft. Lauderdale so I'm only super familiar with the groups up this way. However, there are a lot of shops down there and smaller groups. Try also looking up Alien Endurance and Team Hammerheads which are two of the larger groups I know of.

Hey SwimSwam - sorry (sort of) for bringing this thread back from the dead. I will be staying in Aventura next Sunday through Saturday and am curious if there are any group rides during the week. I'll be renting a road bike (have an inquiry into City Bikes).
Quote Reply