Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done Jack.

From a fellow PNW native, best of luck with your short course exploits, I'll be rooting for you.

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see the tongue in cheek, but would dig it if you and Jack let us peek behind the curtain as you develop a champion. Volume, intensity, training specifics. You know, all the proprietary stuff.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the thing is, he IS letting you see behind the curtain. Everything's connected, everything changes, pay attention.

GreatScott wrote:
I see the tongue in cheek, but would dig it if you and Jack let us peek behind the curtain as you develop a champion. Volume, intensity, training specifics. You know, all the proprietary stuff.

Scott

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tongue in cheek?

I jested nowhere in my response to him.

I could write a very long post on everything he's done over the last 2 years. But I'm pretty lazy except when I'm not. If only slowman had a talk to text feature for ST, if only.

It's more working out than most people on ST want to do or are willing to do. He swims..a lot (and still needs to). He still has some ground to make up there. He rides his bike a lot. But he also is very gifted in that aspect. Having a FTP north of 5w/kg doesn't hld him back either. He runs a good bit. Not as much this year bc he climbed Denali. Soon he'll be running often, mostly easy, sometimes fast, sometimes far and often more than 1x/day. After all no one has ever finished a race and wish they ran slower.

The TLDR version: He trains a lot of hours, frequency is his friend, goes far and often, go fast but sparingly, no matter how high his FTP is we operate on the principle it's not high enough. Swim often and do a lot of yards/meters when swimming.

The even more condensed version: You either have fitness or you do not, you are either working to gain more fitness or you are not.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 19, 15 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Tongue in cheek?

I jested nowhere in my response to him.

I could write a very long post on everything he's done over the last 2 years. But I'm pretty lazy except when I'm not. If only slowman had a talk to text feature for ST, if only.

It's more working out than most people on ST want to do or are willing to do. He swims..a lot (and still needs to). He still has some ground to make up there. He rides his bike a lot. But he also is very gifted in that aspect. Having a FTP north of 5w/kg doesn't hld him back either. He runs a good bit. Not as much this year bc he climbed Denali. Soon he'll be running often, mostly easy, sometimes fast, sometimes far and often more than 1x/day. After all no one has ever finished a race and wish they ran slower.

The TLDR version: He trains a lot of hours, frequency is his friend, goes far and often, go fast but sparingly, no matter how high his FTP is we operate on the principle it's not high enough. Swim often and do a lot of yards/meters when swimming.

The even more condensed version: You either have fitness or you do not, you are either working to gain more fitness or you are not.

Brian, we should just get Slowman to add that for forum rules!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done and great write up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack, I was the guy who spoke with you at the awards ceremony about PNW swimming. For what it's worth, I wore a B70 Helix and swam 54:28.
You're welcome😀

Rick

Only those who risk going too far can find out how far they can go...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [JBADGER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [strtezbckoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too funny. Didn't realize that when we were talking. I'm in a Helix myself, but never realized how perfect that blue back panel is for sighting someone's feet! Thanks again for the pull. Really got my day started on the right note.

Re: conversation at awards- Drop in on a few Lake Washington Masters practices with Becca Watson. For reference on the level of swimmers in there I was typically top of the 2nd lane or bottom of the fast lane. Practices M-F 6-7:15 and 12-1 plus a Saturday workout. Super fun group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will for sure check that group out. I snagged a KQ myself at IMAZ, so need to step up the game.
Btw, you put 20 minutes into me on the bike, but I was able to claw 6 back on the run. Of course, I have almost 30 years on you as well.
You have a great future in the sport!

Only those who risk going too far can find out how far they can go...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [strtezbckoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats! First time to the big island?
Be sure to say hi to everyone for me when you drop in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Words to live by.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jack

Great report, and it was great running with you for a while. It took me at least 8 (or more) IMs to dial in my run pacing. IMAZ last year (2014) was actually the only race where I've pretty much kept an even pace throughout the marathon.
As far as I know, you and me were the only *really* cool guys, turning down the Kona slots and all. For me it was necessary, for you I think it's smart to focus on the shorter stuff for now, since there is plenty of time to go long later in your career.

Enjoy the recovery and let's go riding in Boulder again soon (obviously weather permitting!).

PS: what did you win for the Roka first out of the water prize?

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Rob.

Really appreciated your help getting back in the game mentally during the run. I'm sure you knew exactly what was going to happen to me the entire time!
Glad I booked my flight home early. It would have been so tempting if I had still be sitting there when they called my name.

I would imagine you are rolling right into UM training? I'm on a few weeks off at the moment, but would be great to jump back into some riding after that. I think I've got the cold weather gear at this point to handle the cold as long as it's dry out.

Roka first out of the water was a Roka IM Arizona FOTW printed swim cap and $100 gift certificate. Genius marketing in my opinion. Just enough for cap/goggles/etc. so they've now got a bunch of fast amateurs wearing their gear in training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello again Jack,

Sorry the thread earned you some extra intervals from DD. But that exchange was entertaining.

Just curious - are you racing for UC's swim, cycle, run or triathlon teams? If so, how are the coaching roles established? I know you worked with Brian during HS seasons, and figure you have the protocol down, but wondered how the collegiate environment affects the coaching dynamic.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha! That will be a brutal workout, but it's my competitors that should be worried about it...

That is definitely a question I was asking myself before getting here, but things are working out really well.

I've worked with a pretty big variety of coaches growing up sailing nationally/internationally, running cross country, and now on to triathlon and I've had the spectrum of coaching styles. I've found that the coaches who are worried about claiming and isolating athletes are generally those to steer clear of. When you come across a great coach they rely more on their knowledge and ability to capture their athletes trust and less on physical claiming and coaching isolation.

I'm racing for University of Colorado's triathlon team coached by Brad Seng. As you can imagine, Brad and Brian both fit into that latter category above. I'm still working full time under Brian, but also have Brad keeping an eye on me in person. Additionally, I'm a big fan of "run with runners, swim with swimmers, and ride with cyclists" program and as such have worked with a variety of other coaches and groups in the past few years for individual disciplines. My training overlay, season planning, and day to day training is run by Brian, but I join the CU Tri team for 3-5 workouts per week and Boulder Track Club for 1-2 workouts per week. I'm really happy with the balance and enjoying the training partners I have through CU and BTC. Back in Seattle I was swimming with Lake Washington Masters and riding for Audi Cycling which was a very similar setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to keep that ego in check when people rolled passed, took me many many races to learn that and to trust my numbers. ST has taught me everything i have ever learned about nutrition as well. Nice write up solid race!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Nov 20, 15 18:43
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm sure I'll make the mistake at some point though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, awesome Write up Jack. Gives me hope I can make a name for myself this season! I'm in the 18-24 right now and want to go under 10 this year. What are your season plans?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona Race Recap- M18-24 (First IM/Youngest Athlete) [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quite the bump. Jumping into IMAZ last minute is still right near the top of my most fun, stupid, and enjoyed experiences list. Good luck on the sub-10 goal! I'm currently studying aerospace and computer science at University of Colorado in Boulder, but still competing in the collegiate circuit. I'll be at Collegiate Nationals down in Tuscaloosa.
Quote Reply

Prev Next