Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to to keep asking the same question over and over, but how does the handing of an ENVE 7 front compare to handling of a Zipp 404?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Sorry to to keep asking the same question over and over, but how does the handing of an ENVE 7 front compare to handling of a Zipp 404?

You are trying to compare a 71mm depth rim to a 58mm depth rim - even when you integrate updated or newer aerodynamics it is still very hard to overcome 13mm of length.

The 71mm (Enve) rim does very well in cross wind for *it's size* - the 404 probably "handles" better but you really are not comparing two similar items.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very fair. I'm just trying to ascertain if the 7.8 could be a sole wheel set solution for me (since it purportedly handles better than 808 front). Or if I really also need a 4.5 (or the new 5.6) for those very windy days where I live (San Francisco).

Or if I'd be better served by an 808 NSW set, with a 404 NSW front for those windy days.I know the answer is always disk! but I want to wait for the next gen Zipp NSW disc.

I think I'm leaning toward the Zipps, if for no other reason than I've always kind of wanted some Zipps, and those Cognition hubs rock.
Last edited by: wintershade: Sep 14, 18 9:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Very fair. I'm just trying to ascertain if the 7.8 could be a sole wheel set solution for me (since it purportedly handles better than 808 front). Or if I really also need a 4.5 (or the new 5.6) for those very windy days where I live (San Francisco).

Or if I'd be better served by an 808 NSW set, with a 404 NSW front for those windy days.I know the answer is always disk! but I want to wait for the next gen Zipp NSW disc.

I think I'm leaning toward the Zipps, if for no other reason than I've always kind of wanted some Zipps, and those Cognition hubs rock.

Now that's a question!

I think either choice would be great - I mentioned on post #147 that I did not have many issues with my 7.8's on a pretty windy IMWI race.... I don't train on them either I simply pull them off the wall 1-2 weeks before the race and bolt them on for race day. I will get 2-3 rides on them typically before the race. I do have some decent cycling background however!

I will say that I have had a set of Zipp's, American Classics and Enve's and hands down these wheels roll amazing, look amazing and are probably the best "cornering" carbon wheelsets that I have ever had. That's all by seat of my pants but no matter what you are looking good with your decision.

If I was in your shoes I would do this:

Set of 7.8's
Front 5 SES (I am fairly certain they still just sell individual wheels)
Aerojacket for rear

I can ensure you can ride the rear 8 almost anywhere anytime with no issues, the 7 is almost ridable anywhere IMO but if you have a 5 front and a aerojacket rear no matter what you are set up and in for "fairly" minimal cost with all kinds of options.

I hope that helps!

(No I dont believe Enve is better than Zipps its just the route I went)
Quote Reply

Prev Next