Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Sept. 14 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope all the womens are well.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 14 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This week - have a sprint tri on Sunday, so get rested for that (read CUT THE RUNNING) I did a short run the day before... definitely could have run less during the week. Continue to be present while doing work B- on this; I did better than I have been doing. Finish my human subjects review board application tomorrow and send to advisor finished that Thurs rather than Wed, but sent it to advisor and she sent it back .

M: hiked Mt. Washington with a friend. This was an AWESOME hike.
T: 10.2 mi run
W: 6.5 mi run + 2700 yd swim + :45 min teaching spin class
T: 10.2 mi run + 10 mi bike
F: 10.1 mi run
S: 1.5 mi run + 6425 yd swim
S: sprint tri 500m swim (7:25) 15 mi bike (50:09) 3.5 mi run (27:57) --- I came in 2nd woman, lost by 16 seconds :P . Also 2 mi run c/d and 1.8 mi bike ride home

totals 9625 yd swim + 44 mi bike + 40.8 mi run

The race was a lot of fun. Someone had the run as 3.75 mi and I tend to believe that; it was 3.5 mi last year and they moved the finish line further out. I was 6 min faster than last year, 5 min of it on the bike. :-) The cost of that was then it was hard to run fast!!! Anyway I had the fastest swim of everyone (male and female) and the fastest female run. Must. Get. Faster. On. Bike. It was fun, that's the important part.

goals for this week: bike every day. be present while doing work.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Sep 14, 15 6:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I came in 2nd woman ... Anyway I had the fastest swim of everyone (male and female) and the fastest female run. Must. Get. Faster. On. Bike. It was fun, that's the important part.

Go you, that's fantastic! And hooray to fun :o)

I finally found the unicorn of tiny little cx bikes, which I promptly purchased because I've been looking for about a year now! My new baby is a Cannondale CAADX. Not fit enough to race cx this season, but it's part of the goals for next year. I did get out and ride a sweaty 13 miles midweek before it got dark, as well as a trip to Bradbury Mountain to play on the trails over the weekend. (Now I want a mountain bike too!)

A big part of last week was putting some time into planning for next season, which involved picking some races, setting some SMART goals, and also some stretch goals, and thinking about how I might get there. I have Type II diabetes, as well as fibromyalgia and a thyroid disorder, so training has been tough. I think I've finally got a good combination of meds together so that I don't hurt all over and I'm not tired all the time, but a couple of them do have the side effect of weight gain. I struggle with that anyway, so I'm hoping that some more aggressive training will help to combat that, as well as help me achieve some of the goals I'm setting.

This week I am headed down to Massachusetts where the water is still warm to round out my season at the Pilgrimman - I left it wicked late to sign up because I was totally hoping to be out of the Athena class... Now I'm totally hoping to place in the Athena class ;o) It will be the first tri I have done without my fiance there as support crew so I'm a little sad about that, but excited for the course. The weather is looking fab.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- run 3x - DONE - including an intervals session, something I haven't done in years - however I caught myself on Friday, realizing that I'd only run once so far in the week. I had to decide, was I just going to slough it off or get the runs in? I knew I'd added a few lbs during vacation, but a step on the scale and the shocking number I saw got me annoyed with myself. So I ran Sat & Sun, and have started using the ST training log again to track what I'm doing (or not). Sometimes being annoyed can be a good motivation tool. :-)
- ride 3x - DONE but just to & from work so not big distances
- skate 2x - DONE and being the first of the season it's hard and awkward and I can feel the benefits of the dryland (much stronger legs and core)
- grin like a fool :-) - DONE
- Bonus: got tons of work done on the house (mostly painting but a lot of trim needs repairing so it's sloooooow)

This week:
- skate 3x
- run 4x (I know I can do this)
- ride maybe once (school year means more driving than riding boo)
- more exterior trim repair and paint, some interior plaster repair and paint

3 weeks left to new job! eek! :-)

AP

EDIT: I got some bloodwork back and wanted to share the difference since I started on my FODMAP diet journey (about a year now). By eliminating foods that I don't digest well (almost all dairy, almost all fruit, all beans/legumes, some veg - like asparagus, odd eh?) my TSH dropped from 1.29 (not bad) to 0.39 (perfect!) and more importantly, my cholesterol readings both dropped, LDL from 3.5 (high) to 2.9 and HDL from 3.0 to 2.7. High cholesterol runs in my family yet heart disease does not, but this is still good news. AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: AndyPants: Sep 14, 15 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 14 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like with the housework you don't have to move for the new job?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
3 x swim: fail - 2 only.
1 x bike: win with 2
6 x run: WIN
4 x core/strength/stretch: win

So my final tri of the season turned into my first duathlon since 2010 since it was 10c/50f and raining sideways with 40kph/25mph wind gusts and 3' breaking waves. The water safety team didn't feel secure enough to even mark the course, so the standard 750m swim-20k bike-5k run became a 5k run-20k bike-2.5k run.

Having run almost 19km (my first run over 14km since the injury on May 30th) the day beforehand, I wasn't expecting much. I hadn't bothered to bring a vest, but dug my ghetto arm warmers (air travel socks with the toe seams cut) out of my transition bag and cut a piece of a space blanket to stuff down the front of my trisuit to ward off hypothermia. First run I just floated along, held on for dear life as the first half of the bike course was right along the lakeshore with gusting crosswinds off the water (would be insanely beautiful in nice weather), then let 'er rip with whatever I had left for run #2. Came exactly dead middle of the pack (13/26 in my AG, 51/102 women), so we'll call it a win. Frankly, I felt real fear when we arrived and looked at the conditions and saw people opting to DNS all over the parking lot: the only reason I didn't up and leave myself is because I hate the idea of forfeiting a race fee and we'd driven for 2hrs at the buttcrack of dawn to get there. Actually had some fun with it when all was said and done, and got in a double run day to boot - good training for the 50k. Would have frozen to death without my makeshift plastron, though.

This week's goals:
3 x swim
2 x bike
6 x run
4 x core/strength

Need to keep the running going in the right direction and take good care of my legs. These next couple of weeks are going to be the difference makers for the 50k in mid-October.

Quote | Reply
Smart moves there! Just goes to show that sometimes having odd stuff like that in your bag can save your race (I kept an old space blanket from a marathon in my tri bag for years, even if just for afterwards).

Which 50k are you doing? I am seriously considering the Round the Bay next year. :-)
AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun week last week. Went on a mid week ride with buddies. The first half is chill, the second half is hammer. Dirt roads. Since we converted my CX bike to one front ring, I got to find out that on this ride 38x 11 is not enough to keep up for the hammer half. They regroup after the hammering and adjourn to a local watering hole.

Done with my first CX race of the year. Finished 6th, one off the podium (shooot!) behind 5th who was an imported pro from foreign lands.
Had crap tons of fun though.
Had a good long run and got to stoker the tandem MTB again. We took 3 mins off our first time on the trail.
Super sad to say bye bye to outdoor swimming. And sad to say bye bye to LCM.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 14 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Yep my transition bag (and my running race bag) are treasure troves of "just in case" stuff. I just feel dumb for not bringing my Vanderkitten vest - I looked at it the night before and thought about packing it, but I've never actually bothered to put one on in T1 before and had no idea the swim would be cancelled. Live and learn, right?

I'm running the Vulture Bait 50k on Oct 17th - have done the 25k there a couple of times and it's incredibly beautiful running around Fanshawe Reservoir in the fall colours. Just hoping to get enough mileage in right now that I can actually enjoy the scenery on the 2nd loop instead of just feeling sorry for myself (not to mention I'm a little scared about the 7hr cut-off time, since my in-decent-shape 50k times are around 6hrs)..

Around the Bay is a pretty amazing experience. I'm not sure when I'll do it again, but I know I definitely will (have run it 2x before). Either iRun or Canadian Running Magazine put it quite high up on their list of "must do" races for Canadians.