Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Xterra [tmonica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with tmonica, that for 90% of Xterra races a dropper post would not be that much of an advantage. However, if on your regular training rides or fun outings off road you become accustomed to using one, then you'll probably be using it now and then on race day. I'd say depending on your races a HT is sufficient and lighter maybe more nimble. But, FS is comfier and might preserve you for the run better. You could always demo each and see how you like them.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [amodestou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3. Ride with flat pedals (except for racing) to reinforce proper MTB technique

Can you comment further on using flat pedals and mtb technique? I have both SPD and flat pedals and find riding flats is usually more fun on the trails I ride but never thought about technique which is very interesting. Also, do you have shoe recommendations with flat pedals for both dry and wet conditions?

Regarding racing, do you always go with SDP-type race pedals or are there any course criteria you would consider for using flats?

Btw, I agree with you on dropper seat post. I recently picked up a new FS rig with stealth dropper and can't see ever going back. My poor old hardtail sans dropper is collecting dust, and not the kind from trails...
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [tripolar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to use flat pedals for trail riding to focus on riding with "heavy feet" and "light hands". Clipped in, your feet are very secure and you don't have to think about pushing your weight in the pedals as much. I also use them to get more aggressive with cornerering (you can dab a foot a lot easier with flats), and to make sure I'm scooping with my pedals for wheel lifts (mud scraping off of boots motion) rather than simply pulling up on the pedals (which can only be done when clipped in).

For racing, I think it's always faster to go with clip-in pedals, unless you're new to mountain biking and more confident riding flats.

Alex Modestou | Elite Off-Road Triathlete
On the web: Off-Road Adventures | Tweets
Supported by: Roots Hummus | Rotor Bike Components | Effetto Mariposa Sealants and Tire Accessories | ROKA Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Alex, perhaps we'll meet in Ogden and Maui

I agree that most men XC pros are moving to FS, and some women. And there are more each year in the pro XTERRA racks. I'm thinking on an Epic as my next bike, and even perhaps the SWorks version with the dropper post. But as I said I haven't noticed them on the pro bikes in the past, and I can't think of many places where they would provide much advantage. Certainly some places back East like Blood Rock, but Ogden, Maui, Beaver Creek or Vegas don't seem to have the terrain that calls for one. Then again, I'm old and not the fastest descender so perhaps I just don't know how to use one

And I have never used flat pedals either ;-). Good luck racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that makes sense. I do like the ability to easily hang a foot in tight or aggressive situations but hadn't really given much thought about weight distribution with different pedals and how that impacts technique and overall bike handling. I'm going to keep my flat pedals on more regularly now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tmonica wrote:

I agree that most men XC pros are moving to FS, and some women. And there are more each year in the pro XTERRA racks. I'm thinking on an Epic as my next bike, and even perhaps the SWorks version with the dropper post. But as I said I haven't noticed them on the pro bikes in the past, and I can't think of many places where they would provide much advantage. Certainly some places back East like Blood Rock, but Ogden, Maui, Beaver Creek or Vegas don't seem to have the terrain that calls for one. Then again, I'm old and not the fastest descender so perhaps I just don't know how to use one

From my very short time in XTERRA (4 legitimate trail races), there doesn't seem to be much true "descending" skill needed. HOWEVER, it is definitely where you can truly separate yourself from people of equal fitness.

If a dropper post helps me descend faster once I learn how to use it (like, for example, a fork lockout helps me climb easier) then I will gladly adopt that technology.

Even in 2013 3/4 of the top male pros off the bike had FS Epics at Ogden. I'd say that's pretty clear evidence about which "style" is preferred among the best...
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I was still racing Xterras, I would have dropper on my HT in five seconds. I have one on my FS race/trail bike - currently race ultra endurance and 24 hour races. It's that much of an advantage for descending and traversing. At Alabama, I would have it down for the entire Blood Rock descent (and yes - I rode that section) - from the time we left the double track to the start of the little climbs after crossing the pavement. I'd also have in a middle position for the twisty-turny section just before the transition. Beaver Creek? There's plenty of climbing, but the two major descents and the traverse across the ski slope would also make the dropper worth it's weight. Same for Ogden. Having the saddle out of the way would mean free speed on the descents.
Out of all the Xterras I've done, the only one that didn't really warrant a dropper was Xterra Lory here in Colorado. But that is also one of the most beginner friendly courses out there.

People think dropper and assume it's just for going down steep stuff. Once you learn to use it and get accustomed to it, the dropper is almost more beneficial in suspension in managing all kinds of trails.

Vale!
Tracy T
http://www.thelencoaching.com
Some light reading::: http://www.tracythelen.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ride with flat pedals (except for racing) to reinforce proper MTB technique.

What pedals and shoes do you recommend?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [travisml] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magnolia Hill is a great race for first timers. I don't think Charlie would be offended if you said this was the easiest of the five Texas races. But it can be very hot and sandy if it has been dry the week prior. (Although this year it was the opposite, wet and muddy). The venue is not open for regular riding, though. Only the weekend before and the weekend of the race.
Camp Eagle is my favorite Texas race. March date, wetsuit swim, late morning start, beautiful and challenging course. Reveille Peak in Burnet is also really nice.
The long race in Waco at Cameron Park has a super fun, steep bike course.
If you get a chance, the Southeast Regional in Pelham, ,Alabama and the USA championship in Snowbasin Utah are well worth the travel.
You don't need to qualify for Regional and the Nationals qualifications have been changed so that effectively anyone that wants to race can go.
I will echo what I have heard and read from many former road triathletes. Once you experience the scenery, the atmosphere, and best of all, the people you find off road, it is really, really hard to go back to the pavement.
Hope to see you at some Texas races next year. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think what will help you descend faster is learning to descend faster. Technology won't do that.

My personal opinion, like a lot of new, fancy, expensive gadgets a dropper post makes people think they are going to get better without putting in the work. You would be far better off spending the money on lessons, entry fee to some XC racing against real mountain bikers, etc. The reality is that you won't become a better mountain biker without getting on the bike and riding stuff that makes you feel uncomfortable. Scare yourself, learn balance, line, technic. Improve your fitness and learn how to climb, and build your strength so your can push a bigger gear uphill. Unless your racing pro, I don't know of many Xterra courses that justify the $400 - $500 for a dropper post.

Just my two cents. I spend a lot of time on my mountain bike. I can ride some awesome trails out my back door. I see a lot of mountain bike tourists around here who have a lot of gadgets and really really expensive bikes. They spend a lot of their time shuttling runs and walking their bikes. Why? They don't learn how to ride. Learn to ride first, than if you want to spend the extra money do so.

James Haycraft wrote:
tmonica wrote:

From my very short time in XTERRA (4 legitimate trail races), there doesn't seem to be much true "descending" skill needed. HOWEVER, it is definitely where you can truly separate yourself from people of equal fitness.

If a dropper post helps me descend faster once I learn how to use it (like, for example, a fork lockout helps me climb easier) then I will gladly adopt that technology.

Even in 2013 3/4 of the top male pros off the bike had FS Epics at Ogden. I'd say that's pretty clear evidence about which "style" is preferred among the best...
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done Xterra...I am not fast but loved it for most of the reasons already stated. I am a mountain biker however and agree that the Xterra courses are very easy technically (yes, I am sure there are exceptions). That said my thoughts are as follows:
1. Don't rush out and buy a bike if you can borrow or have a "real" mountain bike (it did not come from WalMart), try and see if you like it.
2. I prefer full -suspension because I can also use the same bike for much more technical biking and with many of the new fs bikes you really don't pay much of a speed penalty vs a hardtail. Last & most importantly I am not getting any younger and fs bike is way easier on the body - I definitely hurt less the next morning.
3. On a technical trail you will be faster with a dropper post - you do not see downhill riders riding with their seats up for a reason! That said, although you likely don't need one for an Xterra, if you are new to mountain biking, being able to clear the seat will likely make it easier for you to descend and make you feel more confident due to the body position which will make you feel faster.
4. Fully agree that riding flats is a great - learning to maintain and & adjust pedal pressure and torque along with maintaining traction is a skill.
5. Recommend tubeless for about 10 different reasons - fewer flats, low pressure etc.
6. Cheapest upgrade = tires. Often the tires that come stock are mediocre or even if they are good may not be appropriate for your area. The right tire for the Pacific Northwest is not the same as Arizona or Moab. This can make a huge difference in traction and hence confidence which is magnified greatly for a newbie with weaker bike skills.

As said before - be prepared you made find your other rides collecting dust and a big smile on your face!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [bootcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For riding flats, any hard soled shoes will do, I use some old trail running shoes.

For the pedals themselves, anything with a wide body and adjustable pins is fine, no need to spend a lot of money.

Alex Modestou | Elite Off-Road Triathlete
On the web: Off-Road Adventures | Tweets
Supported by: Roots Hummus | Rotor Bike Components | Effetto Mariposa Sealants and Tire Accessories | ROKA Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got into Xterras this past year after dabbling the previous year. Qualified for Xterra nationals and ITU worlds (2016). I spent probably 6 months agonizing over getting a new MTB since my old one, while still decent, was not as competitive as I wanted. After LOTS of study I finally went with a Hardtail 29er titanium with full XT (1x10). I could write a book on the why, but it really boils done to IMO its the most competitive, while still remaining in the realm of financially prudent, set up. I got a good deal at $5k for my set up and it included some customizations.

If you want to be competitive in the Xterra world, then seriously consider the route I took. Its basically the same as the majority of the top racers. If you just want to invest in something to ride while doing the occasional xterra, the FS is a good option. I decided to stay away from Carbon however since I know too many people who have busted their carbon frames and other parts (including myself with a busted seatpost during a race a couple years back).

Regarding beginner races - they are all different. If you're not confident on a MTB or the distance, then stay away from the xterra epics. They are the equivalent to HIM races. Fun, but very tough. Anything else is between a sprint and oly distance equivalent.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [xTrilete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xTrilete wrote:
I got into Xterras this past year after dabbling the previous year. Qualified for Xterra nationals and ITU worlds (2016). I spent probably 6 months agonizing over getting a new MTB since my old one, while still decent, was not as competitive as I wanted. After LOTS of study I finally went with a Hardtail 29er titanium with full XT (1x10). I could write a book on the why, but it really boils done to IMO its the most competitive, while still remaining in the realm of financially prudent, set up. I got a good deal at $5k for my set up and it included some customizations.

#holyshit

Quote:
If you want to be competitive in the Xterra world, then seriously consider the route I took. Its basically the same as the majority of the top racers.

I don't think you've looked at the majority of the "top racers."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2015:
2 epics
2 regional championships
USAT nationals
Many regional races....
nope I haven't seen what most of the top races use.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you misunderstood yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I decided on a Marin Pine Mountain 1. I'm going to throw a 120mm 29er Reba on it to "get my feet wet". If I enjoy it and feel I can climb the learning curve enough to be competitive in an Xterra I'll get a full suspension bike in the spring... probably a Giant Anthem 29er.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What to frame did you get? A moots? I have a moots ybb and it works great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was surprised to see that Julien Absalon uses a dropper post for UCI XC events. He's the only one I've seen though.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [tri_kread23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are, after a horrendously protracted journey, finally managing to have our first child this Xmas. I am understandably overjoyed. I'm also now very aware that another ironman is a very long way down the track, because I'd far rather spend 6/7hrs on a Sunday with my little girl than sat on my Speed Concept. I've also recently borrowed a full sus trail bike from a mate for a few rides - it has been an absolute revelation. I'm now considering selling my TT rig, the bike I commute to work on, and my old roadie to fund a XC/trail bike.

I like the idea of getting in a fierce workout, having a laugh, and being done and dusted in a couple of hours max, while not exposing myself to trucks, milk tankers, and NZ drivers any more than I absolutely have to. I'm also getting very interested in the idea of Xterra - what I'm seeing in this thread is definitely backing up what I hoped to find out RE fun, chilled out attitudes, and all that. Seems a waste to leave a TT bike on the trainer for the next few years...so I've started looking at Scott 720s, the Canyon Nerve series, and the Trek EX range.

Is carbon worth the extra? It seems to command a big premium in the MTB world. I'm going to start with flats as recommended, and maybe get a helmet with a peak for rainy days. I hope this thread picks up some more comments as there's a lot to learn for a long term roadie/triathlete!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
I think what will help you descend faster is learning to descend faster. Technology won't do that.

My personal opinion, like a lot of new, fancy, expensive gadgets a dropper post makes people think they are going to get better without putting in the work. You would be far better off spending the money on lessons, entry fee to some XC racing against real mountain bikers, etc. The reality is that you won't become a better mountain biker without getting on the bike and riding stuff that makes you feel uncomfortable. Scare yourself, learn balance, line, technic. Improve your fitness and learn how to climb, and build your strength so your can push a bigger gear uphill. Unless your racing pro, I don't know of many Xterra courses that justify the $400 - $500 for a dropper post.

Just my two cents. I spend a lot of time on my mountain bike. I can ride some awesome trails out my back door. I see a lot of mountain bike tourists around here who have a lot of gadgets and really really expensive bikes. They spend a lot of their time shuttling runs and walking their bikes. Why? They don't learn how to ride. Learn to ride first, than if you want to spend the extra money do so.

James Haycraft wrote:
tmonica wrote:

I agree with what you have posted - a dropper post won't automatically make you a faster rider, and no, from what I can see most Xterra courses don't require one. However, a dropper post will allow you to get the saddle out of your way giving newer riders more confidence to allow the bike to move around underneath them, and tackle steeper, rockier terrain with more confidence. As you said - more likely to have the confidence to scare themselves and learn the required balance. This will allow them to get better more quickly. If you're keen to have fun on a mountain bike and develop your skills a dropper post and a full suspension bike are definitely the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get yourself to Rotorua for a weekend!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sister in law lives 150m from the forest ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well in that case you should definitely be aiming for Xterra next April. The new course is very non-technical. There's quite a bit of single track but all but a couple of bits can be ridden no problem by a complete beginner mountain biker. The old course had some really cool bits of trail in that were at least slightly technical and gave an advantage to mountain bikers. The new one, not so much.
Quote Reply

Prev Next