Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hed bar slipping in stem
Quote | Reply
my new hed aerobar won't stay put in the stem. if I hit a bump it will take a nosedive. I've been increasing the torque on these bolts, and while it's better, it's still not rock solid. any advice? I'm currently using a syntace megaforce and thinking about planning to get a syntace F99 once I'm sure what length I want. any chance that the 4 bolt vs 2 bolt design would help out there?

aside from this, the hed bar is great. elegant design and very adjustable.
Quote Reply
Re: hed bar slipping in stem [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can try putting a very thin rubber shim between the bar and the stem (best on the back side, away from the clamp). That should increase the friction/holding power of the interface.

Make sure it's thin though, so it can deform and not cause uneven stresses on the bar.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you didn't grease it right? never grease carbon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's what I did:

take off your aluminum faceplate

take an exacto knife or boxcutter and scratch up the inside of the faceplate using lengthwise and crosscut grooves, realy easy now, just to give it a grip

take alcohol and really remove any grease from the faceplate and bar

bolt it on

good to go
Quote Reply
Re: hed bar slipping in stem [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but isn't this the opposite of the normal carbon recommendation to make sure there are no burr's on the surface that could scratch the carbon?

as for the "never grease carbon" post, I'll add never grease the handlebar/stem combo carbon or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem with my HEDs when I got them. I was using a cheap Weyless stem ( 2 bolts on the face plate) that I got from Supergo. I switched to a Ricthey stem (4 bolt face plate) and the problem stopped. I have heard that Profile-Design stems work well with HED bars too.

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On some stems the bolts bottom out, I had this happen before. I filed off about four file strokes on the end of each bolt and that was enough to make the difference. Just don't get carrried away on your filing and get them so short that you over clamp your carbon bars.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply