Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. None of the races did.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I'm pondering riding back to AVL from the Oly on Sunday.

Want some company?

Sorry, just saw your message. Wish I had seen it before, it would have motivated me to suck it up. Instead, I drove back with my dad. Pretty cooked after two days of racing (if you could call what I did today a race....)
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy1956 wrote:
Good to know about the toilets. Sorry we did not connect also. Must not had my nutrition correct. No energy off the bike and bagged it after the first run loop. The half bike course is a different animal than the International. They made it as flat as possible but still some good climbs especially at mile 42. I will be back for one of the races next year.

Some friends that did it previously warned me about the climb after mile 40. After that initial climb I didn't think it was that bad, then came the second hill.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the half on Saturday. Agree, great race!!! I will be back.....missed my goal by 51 seconds!!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [SlemAU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew the bike course was going to have that hill section, but I wasn't expecting the course to be as technical as it was; would have ran my Zipp 101's if i knew. ran into some issues with the marshalls blocking tracffic for no reason driving down the yellow line, which blocked me, and an intersection across a 4 lane road with no one directing traffic. i knew what the run was going to be, so no surprises there; managed to throw down a decent run split and move onto the podium for Open.

i think if i do it again i'd do the international; i really liked doing it and the sprint last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How technical is this course? I was planning on running an 808/disc...I see Poster above mentioning he wished he had his 101's.

Outside of a 1 mile section at mile 42 - the course is rolling?

J. Tyler Pate
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [JTPATE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it last year. "Rolling"? Well.....yeah. Your definition may be different than mine, though. I thought Choo6 70.3 was "rolling". I thought Augusta was "rolling". Logan is more than either of those.......by a good margin.

**Edit....I just checked my Garmin file for 2016. I got 3,955' gain. I have FLO 60/90....but wouldn't hesitate to run a disc. The International and Half courses do not compare, whatsoever.
Last edited by: nc452010: Aug 2, 17 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While there are definitely some steep hills throughout the course, the amount of flats/minimal grades between definitely dictates a disc being more beneficial. Looks like there could be storms if that factors into your decision.

I will be 100% using my disc on Sunday for the International regardless of weather.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race with your disc and don't second guess it one bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard nothing but good things about this race. Would you suggest it? Thinking about putting it on the calendar for 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. Just be prepared for a real 70.3 bike course. The swim's the most pleasant I could imagine. Water is crystal clear (wetsuit legal in August) and the crowd contact (wave size) is relatively light (50?). The run is a double out-and-back that's slightly uphill the whole way out.....and (you guessed it).

Race is well-run. It's just a lot of bike course for someone my size (190+ #).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTPATE wrote:
How technical is this course? I was planning on running an 808/disc...I see Poster above mentioning he wished he had his 101's.

Outside of a 1 mile section at mile 42 - the course is rolling?

I know these bike times aren't Slowtwitch approved, but if it helps you I don't mind. In 2015 I did 3 half irons:

White Lake Half: 2:52 (must have been a slightly windy year)
IM Raleigh 70.3: 2:46
Lake Logan Half: 2:55 (first year it had a 56 mile bike - was 52 miles before)

Also, for comparison, my 70.3 bike PR is 2:40 (2016 Steelhead 70.3)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite race every year doing the International. I haven't done the Half but the course are similar. Just love the atmosphere of the race and it is always a great weekend. The International is actually typically the more competitive race as it has a decent prize purse for top 3.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I hadn't raced this past weekend I would have gone up there. I did the half in 2014, was recovering from a bike wreck in 2015, and did Vineman last year and another intown race this past year. I'm definitely planning on going up there next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
biglazybum wrote:
I've heard nothing but good things about this race. Would you suggest it? Thinking about putting it on the calendar for 2018.

Without a doubt. I'll be there next year, assuming the calendar works out...just fumbling through injuries this year.

Make a weekend out of it, Asheville is a great place to hang out and food is stellar, but you can get an Airbnb in the woods and totally relax too. Just be aware of the time it'll take to get to the race in the morning.
Swim is perfect and an all time highlight. As mentioned they do a few waves so it's not crowded at all, as clear as a lake is going to get, and beautiful scenery. Rectangle course, just basically an out in back.
Bike is not easy, I'd call it very honest. Plenty of rolling, lots of false flat, and 1 mile long grind. I'm an ok biker - injured and fat and rode <2:40. FWIW I rode 1x 50x11-32 and was fine, but barely.
Didn't run but the food was good!
Last edited by: JASpencer: Aug 2, 17 10:58
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
. Just be aware of the time it'll take to get to the race in the morning. !

This

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there on 808/disc. I'd call the course *mostly* rolling. Of course, take into consideration that my typical training rides are on similar terrain.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spectacular race!!! Did the half on Saturday and agree this is one to put on your list. Well organized, excellent volunteers, beautiful swim/bike/run courses, very challenging bike ride, fun atmosphere. We stayed in Asheville - awesome town with great beer and food. Had to get up at 4:30 to make the 45 minute drive to the lake in the morning but the early start meant cooler temps and less traffic on the bike course. Did we get lucky with the weather or what?!!
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, wonderful race weekend! The setting is about as good as it gets. So cool to have a "Triathlon Festival" weekend!

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
I did it last year. "Rolling"? Well.....yeah. Your definition may be different than mine, though. I thought Choo6 70.3 was "rolling". I thought Augusta was "rolling". Logan is more than either of those.......by a good margin.

**Edit....I just checked my Garmin file for 2016. I got 3,955' gain. I have FLO 60/90....but wouldn't hesitate to run a disc. The International and Half courses do not compare, whatsoever.

The Half is quite hilly. The International stays within the same valley as the lake and has no memorable climbs (other than to/from the lake) so is pretty fast.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

David
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Logan This Weekend [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there . It was a challenging 70.3, but the venue makes me want to make this an annual race. Weather was perfect.

They may have handicapped the tough bike course with a 12.3 mile run though ;).

Great race and atmosphere.

J. Tyler Pate
Quote Reply

Prev Next