Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Integrated Headset Change
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if you can change an Integrated headset to a Standard Headset?

This is the situation. I have a P2K (model year 2002) with the integrated headset. After racing in Ironman USA's "wonderful down pore", I believe water go into the headset. Don't asked me how, but all I can say is that the steering doesn't feel the same. It feels "sluggish" even though I did my best to dry off the bike.

Does anyone foresee any problems switching from the Integrated headset to something like a CaneCreek C2?

Much thanks,

-Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Integrated Headset Change [Kinesio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Does anyone foresee any problems switching from the Integrated headset to something like a CaneCreek C2?"

Yup. You can replace the headset, but you've got to stay with integrated. If I were you, I'd look into the Chris King perdido. It may be pretty expensive to install though as I believe they have to ream the headtube a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Integrated Headset Change [Kinesio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water in the headset is not uncommon, and it will make the handling feel wierd. After the torrential downpour at Wildflower this year I had to pull the headset and bottom bracket to drain all the water. I don't think you need to replace the headset. You can probably get by with repacking the bearings with fresh grease, or worst case replacing the bearings. The Perdido does require the head tube to be reamed, so I'd be leary of going this route. If it's not done properly the frame is toast.
Quote Reply