Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Potty Break
Quote | Reply
Just kind of curious as to how many of you handle the inevitable out on the bike course. Is it out of bounds to pee while ridding. I have no problem standing, turning sideways and doing the job. One must be on a slight downhill or tailwind of course, but is this a tri no-no. I have a fine line of too much liquids and sometimes my body just expells too much (Last 10 miles of my last marathon I had to go, full bladder, every mile.) If this were to occur in a tri I'd hate to get off every 15 minutes. When performing the above manuever, I pull all the way to the right, never by a crowd. Sorry for this one, but would it be better to just let it go. It's just about all water anyway, right?

Uncomfortable question 2

Does anyone try to regulate irregularity by either laxatives or natural foods before a race. I've often thought of a day before laxative to clean out the night before as to not have to worry on race day. I've had some problems in long bike races (out to the cornfield or woods) and would like to prevent that from happening as it usually is that real crampy got to go now or die feeling. Perhaps many don't suffer or need to worry, but this is a factor I have to deal with and any imput would be helpfull.

Don't mean to spoil anyones breaktime here, just like to take care of the big things in life.
Quote Reply
Re: Potty Break [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an acquaintance who rents porta-potties to most of the big events in this area. In fact, around here, he is No.1 in the No. 2 business. As far as how I handle it--Get a good amount of fiber in your diet and try to regulate the time of day you have your constitutional. Get up early enough the day of the race to drink a couple cups of coffee or hot tea to get things moving, and try to go before you leave the house/room. Then, get to the race site early enough in case you need an extra "insurance" dump. I find the nerves often cause me to need a second stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you are talking about the cyclist form of on bike evacuation which is fine, except that you might get busted for public nudity in some places. The tri form, where one piece suits are common is just to let it rip while riding. Some people need to stop pedaling or stand to get going, others don't.

Check out http://www.slowtwitch.com/...&text=evacuation for more information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would encourage all to be considerate while urinating on the go as to where others are around you. Was behind a guy a few years ago that was getting me quite wet with what i thought was water bottle spillage. mmmm between my lips and aerobottle that last 55 miles was tasty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that many people don't feel comfortable with this method, either literally or ideologically, but: Just do it. By the time you have to go on the bike, you're probably already sweaty, smelly, and uncomfortable, so you might as well. I use this method, and it works just fine. You probably want to use lotion or chamois butter beforehand, or you might get the triathlon form of diaper rash. This year was my first season of racing tri's, but I think I've seen just about every method you can think of except the arret pe pe, as the cyclists call it, or, more colloquially, "whipping it out". In any case, be considerate, and don't go when someone is right behind you.

As for your second issue, just try to get yourself used to going in the AM. For long races( 1/2 IM + ), where you are working hard for a long time and hydrating a lot, I think there will always be some amount of risk, especially if you make a nutritional error.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I find it near impossible to "get it started" while on the bike. This might have something to do with being 48 and no longer having a prostate the size of a peanut. Fortunately, I only seem to have the overwhelming urge in IM distance races, never shorter. In which case coming to a complete stop by the side of the road and lettin' it rip is the solution. Frankly, a stand down break for a minute often revitalizes me a little, I'll do a tiny little hamstring stretch afterwards, check the brake pad clearance etc. and stomp out any hot spots in the feet. Often I find I ride right back up to the folks in my general vicinity before the break just from having refreshed everything. Might cost a 1/2 a minute total. but better than suffeeing. Peeing off the bike can be a dicey situation from a bike handling standpoint especially on the squirrely aero set ups. Morning of, is not normally a problem, nerves and adequate pre race hydration usually get things moving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need to stop things up, er, back there? one word... ImmodiumAD. boy-howdy! i took some of this stuff one day (i wasn't afflicted, but we won't go into the whole matter), took me the better part of a week to get things started again. I'm talking stopped dead in my tracks - nothing doing. it was like a magic cork. I don't know how this might affect someone's race performance, but it certainly did the trick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are peeing while riding then make sure you aim toward the shoulder of the road. At IM Fl a couple of weeks ago some guy was peeing straight out into the middle of the lane while riding on the right side of the lane. I looked up and saw a whole group of cyclists veering off to the middle of the road (centre line violations!). Maybe that was his way of trying to punish the drafters that were riding up behind him. One of the female pros was yelling at him for improper etiquette with his pee direction :) I have never tried to pee while riding and figure that standing an trying to whip it out and stay balanced while peeing would probably cost me as much time as stopping and just peeing on the side of the road and resting for 30 or 40 seconds, plus I'd probably get urine all over myself which somehow is ok inside the wetsuit but really gross any other time :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometime this winter I'll have to photograph my illustrious training partner using his Half Superman Pee Position(TM) to drain his main vein while on the bike. It will answer all your questions. In my opinion it's one of the best triathlon-related inventions ever - right up there with aerobars, steep angles, wetsuits, aero drink bottles, and elastic laces.

The deeper you get the sweeter the pain. Don't give up the game until your heart stops beating.
--New Order
Quote Reply