Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

You know you are frustrated when...
Quote | Reply
You almost start crying in the running store trying on yet ANOTHER pair of running shoes in the hopes that these will at least allow you to walk for 10 minutes without awful pain from plantar fasciitis in your left foot and the OA in your right knee.

Today I had to take a minute to pull myself together because I'm tired of listing everything I've tried then being told what one person said is wrong and I should do this instead. Or try that shoe not the one I have. Or that orthotics and supportive shoes are wrong, walking barefoot is better. No no, walking barefoot is terrible and I need support.

The problem with having a common running injury that's hard to treat, like PF, is everyone is an expert and knows exactly what you should to do fix it. Yes, I've iced. Yes, I stretch. Yes I am wearing a night splint. I just want to walk comfortably. And if I do get past the PF, I still have my knee to deal with. I know I'll never run again but walking isn't asking too much, is it?

I hate being overweight but to lose I need to get active. I miss going for a run. I miss racing. I really miss being an athlete.

Thanks for letting me vent. It's tough to lose something like running that was such a big part of who I was.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: You know you are frustrated when... [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sucks. :(

My husband got orthotics for his PF & it made a huge difference. Hopefully you can find something that works.

My husband's shoulder got torn up in a car accident & surgery didn't do anything. No more biking, lost his ability to do his job & he's in chronic pain. No personal experience, but I have a lot of empathy for
losing the stuff you love.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(((hugs)))
Walking isn't too much to ask, and you'll find a way to cure the PF.
People really shouldn't say "[x person] is wrong, you need to do this." The only people who get to say things like that are whomever is currently researching PF treatments (that is, the actual experts). ... feel free to tell the people working in the shoe store that they're not allowed to say "[insert advice here] is wrong."

I did an internship at a PT clinic, and we did ultrasound for people with PF. Have you tried that?

Per being active - swimming? I forgot whether or not that bugs your knee.

Vent all you want!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, PF sucks. And I completely understand the frustration. It can take a long time to resolve. I've had acute episodes before but this round has lasted longer than any previous flare-ups. I was just coming back from surgery post bike crash and was ramping up my run mileage for the NYC marathon. Haven't run in 9 months now. Hang in there. It will get better. I can't tell you what will help but it will get better - eventually. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry that really sucks. I don't really have anything to add but sympathy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awww, sweetie, I know exactly how that feels. All of it--the frustration, the "weepys" (as I call 'em), the weight gain. For years I stayed away from friends and races because it was such a painful reminder of what I can no longer do.

I wish I could tell you it may get better, but nobody really knows. My only advice is to try and focus on what you can do now--find something--and to turn off the downer voices.

Best to you.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's a totally different thing and can be boring but . . . can you pool run? With or without ankle weights?

The best way to do it is with a podcast/playlist to keep you going, which means waterproofing your gear.

Even with all the faff I love it -- it feels like moving did when I was in my teens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A big thanks to everyone.

I'm just so frustrated. Tonight is lap swim at the outdoor pool that is a 5 minute walk from my apartment. I got some ROKA SIM shorts that I tried last week and they are amazing. I can swim without a lot of kicking so it doesn't aggravate my knee. It's a bit cool out today but I'll suck it up and go. I always feel better when I do.

I also got a TRX training system. It is something simple I can do at home and really effective. I figure if I get that in 2x/week, swim 2 - 3x/week that is a good start. Just gotta get going and move past this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: You know you are frustrated when... [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The best way to do it is with a podcast/playlist to keep you going, which means waterproofing your gear.

There's a company in Corvallis, OR that sells waterproofed shuffles. Underwater Audio maybe?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: You know you are frustrated when... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my pool buddies got a waterproof shuffle off Amazon.
Quote Reply
Re: You know you are frustrated when... [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
One of my pool buddies got a waterproof shuffle off Amazon.

I have a Sony MP3 player that is waterproof. Best part is no wires or extra "stuff" to hold onto/clip to yourself. Haven't actually tried it in the pool, but if you are upright I imagine it would only need to be splashproof. It's drag & drop for moving songs & all my "iMusic" moved seamlessly.

http://store.sony.com/...vva_ColorCode=000000
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen, I know how much running means to you. I know you won't run again but I can't write "meant" because it's still front and centre and very much occupies your mind, your heart and your soul. You have defined yourself for so long as a runner that it's tough to define yourself in any other way...

You will get past the PF, one day, and when you do, I want to know that you will find a way to redefine yourself. You are one tough chica so I'm sure you will. You probably just can't see it now. Obscured by clouds and some tears too. But there is a Jen who is not a runner, a Jen who is more than the sum of her parts, we just haven't met her yet.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I SO feel your pain. For years, I struggled with a problem that defied diagnosis. Doctors couldn't figure out the problem, but every runner and triathlete I knew considered themselves an expert, all had their own opinions about what I should be doing, and it was exhausting. They just wanted to help, but I just wanted them to stop trying to tell me how to "fix" the problem. I needed to know what the problem was first. Then when I finally got the problem diagnosed after seven years of not knowing what was wrong, the doctors told me they couldn't help me, I'd just have to live with it, and why was exercise so important to me anyway. Then I finally found a surgeon who would operate and got the problem "fixed," but the fix caused other problems, which led to my needing major knee surgery, which led me to me being told that I would never be able to run again. For years, I would ride along our local bike trail, watching runners effortlessly logging mile after mile, and wish so very hard that I could one day do that again, knowing full well I never could. So trust me -- I COMPLETELY sympathize with what you feel like. I'd been a triathlete for many, many years, and I just couldn't be one anymore. It was agonizing. Every e-mail I'd get with info about a race or about a sale at a tri retailer would be like a dagger.

The most important thing I can suggest is to figure out what you CAN do. Whatever that is. I guarantee that you will derive pleasure from it, because it will allow you to be active, which will get the endorphins flowing again and will get you back to feeling "normal." Your foot will eventually heal. You will eventually be able to walk. In the meantime, just do what you can do, and stop wishing you could do the things you can't. You'll just drive yourself nuts wishing for things you can't have right now.

The other thing I would suggest is, don't try to extrapolate today to the next five years. Today sucks. Figure out how to make tomorrow better by figuring out some way or ways you can move that don't hurt your foot or your knee. Let five years from now take care of itself. It will. I'm back to "racing" after years of pain and frustration. You will never stop being an athlete; you will just have to figure out how to continue staying active. Try things. See what you can do.
Quote Reply
Re: You know you are frustrated when... [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. I feel your pain. I have battled an injury for the past 5+ years. At first and on-off I ran through it, raced through it, had crappy races and then I got to the point about a year ago when I simply could not run without being in major pain. I am on my 10th PT and have finally found someone who would look past the injury itself and ask "why do you have this injury??". Other PT's simply treated the symptoms. Then I would feel better, start running again and bam--right back to where I began. I have taken a year off from racing. I have only done an OW Swim. I continue to train with limited running and I began working with a running coach to work on my form. I dont know when or if I will be able to race again (or want to race again) and I am thankful to be able to run alittle now. I hear you about people's advice...one guy told me I didn't know how to 'push through the pain' of the injury, another person said all I needed to do was wrap it (hamstring), get a deep tissue massage and stretch it alot (which is what I have tried and that only made it worse), and someone else said I was just lazy when I would not continue to do intervals. Just do what you need to do and take things one day at a time....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I went into see my regular doctor Friday and told him that I want to go meet with the orthopedic surgeon, not that I want to have knee replacement surgery right now but I have a lot of questions that I want to discuss before I even consider it seriously. Some days my knee hurts like hell; other days it feels pretty good.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply