Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [lostinT2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lostinT2 wrote:
Because bear attacks in Whistler are so common and bears are milling about everywhere just waiting to chew on uninformed tourists. Yes, she should definitely wear bear bells at all times.

[pink font...in case you missed it the first time.]

Canada ain't scary, y'all. But thanks for the laughs.

Except that Nova Scotia part. I watched South Park......
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears the upgrade in Andy's position and change from Gatorskins may be having a positive effect.

TOP 11 Pro Men - Thru Bike Split 2 - 87.5 km

1 2:52:50 Andy Potts
2 3:02:03 9:14 Callum Millward
3 3:02:06 9:17 Maik Twelsiek
4 3:02:08 9:19 Trevor Wurtele
5 3:02:09 9:20 Mike Aigroz
6 3:02:12 9:23 Pedro Gomes
7 3:03:24 10:35 Elliot Holtham
8 3:05:12 12:22 Derek Garcia
9 3:06:10 13:21 Justin Daerr
10 3:11:51 19:02 Dylan Gleeson
11 3:11:52 19:03 Jeff Manson

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
The pictures from the live blog look like they were taken on a 1.3 megapixel digital camera from 2002.

Fantastic, maybe someone should be out there with iPhone that would have better resolution

To be honest I'm surprised they're even using digital. I was expecting pictures to be uploaded after someone ran the disposable film cameras down to get developed, then scanned and saved to a floppy disk.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, this Ironman and now its all about whatever can make it more profitable, gota start cutting costs bring that profit margin up.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
It appears the upgrade in Andy's position and change from Gatorskins may be having a positive effect.

Hugh

Andy should be able to punch his Kona IM validation requirement pretty easily today!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was "just looking" at the registration for 2017. Have prices gone up?

Looks like in person registration is the same as before (685 CDN), while online registration has gone tiered, from $705-780 depending on when you register. Is that new?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike_w wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I suspect Whistler will work out to the same thing. 70.3 would started well after the 140.6 is started. You'll notice the 70,3 guys when you start coming back from Callahan and then you won't see them again until you hit the run course. That is just my hunch. Hopefully someone from the race crew comes on here and let's us know what the flow will be like.

This discussion led me to check the schedule, which shows the AG IM kicking off at 6:50 and 70.3 at 8:45. So, your suspicion seems reasonable. The lake should be clear and any mingling will begin on the bike, perhaps as soon as the descent to Pemberton.

I took another look at the 70.3 bike course and timing. I think they've planned this about as well as they could. The faster 70.3 riders will be moving through the IM FOP on the way from Callaghan to Pemberton, but that shouldn't be an issue. On the way back to Whistler, anyone under 6 on the bike might pass slower 70.3 riders, but with the hills there and the full lane available the passes shouldn't be that hard. The 70.3 skips the steep, curvy section just outside Pemberton.

What surprised me was that the 70.3 starts to go up Callaghan, to aid station 1 before making a u-turn. Hopefully this will not be an issue merging with IM riders flying down the hill. Be careful at the end of your Callaghan descent, just after the last big bend.

Friend reported from the course that this merge was downright dangerous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I was "just looking" at the registration for 2017. Have prices gone up?

Looks like in person registration is the same as before (685 CDN), while online registration has gone tiered, from $705-780 depending on when you register. Is that new?

No idea on that.

How about Andy Potts today. His 4:31 bike split is pretty awesome on the Whistler course! I guess he punched his ticket to Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a stellar split. Looks like it was a perfectly beautiful day up there today.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a few items
1. merge with 70.3 athletes was a non-event for me and looked well managed - i would be curious if anybody had an issue (i may be off base here as i missed most of the 70.3 athletes so never really saw any merging.... but it looked like decent system?)
2. it paid to be a fast swimmer as the head winds coming back from pemberton were strong and likely got stronger as the day went on (typical for the area)
3. it could not have been a nicer day! beautiful typical whistler day
4. the lake temp was perfect for a wetsuit race - a little brisk at the start and then perfect for racing
5. the entire event seemed very well managed with loads volunteers everywhere helping out
6. my only gripe were the spectators and tourists riding their bikes on the trail we were running on. Not an issue around lost lake where the trail is wide but dangerous around green lake where it was narrower and i was almost hit a few times....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what happened to Cupcakes? Just hit a wall on the run?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The roads down to Pemberton were not great - a lot of places where you could have lost it, esp. on the downhills.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:
Anyone know what happened to Cupcakes? Just hit a wall on the run?

My wife said he stepped off course holding his calf.

Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:

Hugh

No doubt he crushed the bike, but the lead car was super close and the media scooter was right next to him most of the day. I think that might have helped.

Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
sciguy wrote:

Hugh

No doubt he crushed the bike, but the lead car was super close and the media scooter was right next to him most of the day. I think that might have helped.

Oh no, here we go again. Hopefully Andy uploads his power file somewhere. Any estimates on what a 4:31 takes on that course. Google has him at 191 cm height, 79 kilos. I am guestimating in excess of 320W given his size the amount of vertical and requirement to brake in many locations at turns on downhills.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triracerboy wrote:
1. merge with 70.3 athletes was a non-event for me and looked well managed
I'm a slower swimmer and the merge was going fine when I went by. The IM had a no passing zone for a few hundred meters beforehand, and volunteers out waving at everyone to slow down. Still not my preferred location for the turn; I had to brake heavily to avoid passing. The no-pass zones should have been mentioned in the race briefing (which otherwise was pretty thorough).

The other issue was aid station 2, which was on the left hand side right after the merge. The 70.3 riders were just trying to get by (since they just hit an aid station) while IMers were slowing and moving left.

triracerboy wrote:
2. it paid to be a fast swimmer as the head winds coming back from pemberton were strong and likely got stronger as the day went on (typical for the area)
Yup. Finishing the bike I was going uphill at 10 mph in the aerobars due to the 10+ mph winds. It also got hot there; my Garmin 520 had a peak temp of 97 on the climb back from Pemberton with most of that stretch in the 90s.

triracerboy wrote:
5. the entire event seemed very well managed with loads volunteers everywhere helping out
Fantastic volunteers all over. Some pros at wetsuit stripping, change tents, and sunscreen.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know when it would be realistic to bike the course in Whistler?

Trying to plan a pre-race visit to ride the course and wondering what the earliest realistic date will be when its safe/snow-free on the highway.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [thomeeboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not there, but here are the webcams on the mountain and village. You can guess the road conditions from this:

https://www.whistler.com/webcams/

I bet you could ride Sea to Sky side since the shoulder is so huge and worst case you'd get snow run off. Not sure about the climb to Callaghan or going down to Pemberton and back up. I'd suspect you could ride the Pemberton Flats, but you can do that on your Kickr or Computrainer anyway

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have done about 7 camps there at two weeks out,

Honestly seen everything from 5c and raining to 42c in pemberton, so no way off knowing but I wouldn't plan anything until four weeks out.

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still a bit of snow lying around. Temps in the village and Pemb are normally around 5-8c and anything from snow, flurries, sleet, rain.
Plus it fairly mental there with traffic as everyone trying the squeeze the last out of the slopes....ohh and plenty of potholes too after the barrage of salt, sand etc thrown down over the last 6 months.
In summary.....hold off for another 2-4 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am considering traveling to this race from the East Coast but worried that my kids would not survive the trip... 10 hours via plane with layovers and then another 2+ hours from YVR to Whistler?! That's a haul for ages 3 and 5.

Also, what activities are there in the village for them? Is there a luge slide like IMMT? Any waterslide parks?

Are there any markings or volunteers to signal the sharp turns on the steep descent outside of Pemberton?

Are there any steep sections a la IMMT where you have 4 guys abreast bombing down while 4 guys abreast are wobbly climbing up all on a narrow road?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada Whistler Q&A Thread [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whistler has a TON of activities for kids and non-racers. At the base of Blackomb mtn (aka the "Upper Village") they set up a big kids activity area with stuff like a bungee/trampoline, alpine slide, maze, etc. And there is a playground in the Olympic Park. Also a skate park, bike park, zip lines, and indoor climbing facility. There's also hiking, taking the ski lifts to the Peak 2 Peak tram, etc. I think you'd be hard pressed to find another IM venue anywhere with more stuff for the family to do.

The only volunteers that I recall calling out turns on the descent to Pemby are at a huge S turn, where overcooking the turn on the return would be consequential, but that's the only hairy turn. There are a couple of railroad tracks to cross as well, but they're fine as long as you use the standard precaution of crossing perpendicularly.

Re the other sections, the road is closed to vehicle traffic during the race so that buys you a lot of room. There really aren't too many situations where you're facing oncoming traffic- the exception being the Callahan Pass climb/descent early in the race. There is a 2 lane bridge about a mile or 2 from the top that always is strewn with people's launched water bottles, and people climbing up while the faster swimmers are bombing down. The rest of the ride is on the hwy which divides the traffic by several lanes. (The out&back in Pemby is pretty narrow but it's totally flat)

Overall Whistler is a great race and a great venue. Definitely recommended!
Quote Reply

Prev Next