Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sore hip flexors after marathon
Quote | Reply
Did my first marathon last month and it went pretty much as planned i.e. appropriate amounts of suffering. The one thing that surprised me is that the next day (and really the next week) my hip flexors were the most sore part of my body. Not injury pain, just real sore muscles. Was expecting something else to be worse - hamstrings, gastrocs...

So my question for those of you who run better than me (which would be most of you) - is this normal? Does it suggest a problem with my running style? Is it maybe a function of a hilly course?

Thanks

Deke
Last edited by: deke: Nov 23, 03 20:25
Quote Reply
Re: Sore hip flexors after marathon [deke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deke - probably just a function of 26 and some change miles - although the PC's will tell you to start cranking!! Let you know next week after Seattle...

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 3 marathons. The first 2 were identical to yours. it was all hip flexor. I think part of it comes from a weak core. at least for me. as I get tired I lean forward a bit more to allow the back to help with picking up the driving leg. the hip flexor wraps from close to your unit (or lack thereof if you're a woman) around the sides to the middle of your back. at least for me this explained why it would only happen at long races (because you keep pushing instead of just slowing down).

my 3rd marathon came after I'd gotten into tri and switched to something more POSE like. tri forced me to focus on the core, and POSE taught me to worry about my form more. whichever I don't know, but I didn't have that problem after my 3rd marathon.

FWIW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this the other week when I'd increased my running race mileage (from 10k's up to 10 miles) on hilly courses. It was mainly caused by lifting the leg up hills rather than pushing up them. Ease yourself in gently.........
Quote Reply