Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Favorite 70.3 course (North America) [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree on Donner! I only raced the sprint, but that was the bike course, those first 3 miles of climbing, then back down. Hardest sprint EVER for me. Someday I'll race the half when it fits into my schedule.

Others have mentioned Auburn half. The only downside is that it's so small, the bike course may not always been adequately marked and staffed with volunteers at certain points. Athletes who come in from out of town that haven't ridden most of the course sometimes get a little turned around once they leave Auburn proper. I've had many people ride up next to me and ask if they were heading in the right direction. Still, I love this race, you just keep getting punched in the face with hills on the bike and run.

IM Lake Tahoe 70.3. Well, that would have been my second favorite, but WTC had other ideas.

Kinda agree on Vineman. Logistically it's a challenge and is usually freaking hot, but an easy sell ("Hey, wanna sherpa for me in wine country?" "SOLD!").

Lots of bucket-list races in this thread, like Quassy and Savageman.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite 70.3 course (North America) [MenschMaschine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only done 4 and I'll rank:

1) Boulder 70.3 2014: Nice weather (was luck with 70's that day...better that it's now in June), great roads, easy logistics...fast course that day
2) Vineman 70.3 2012 & 2014: late wave start 8:00 and mid 90's made this race really hard. Roads are horrible, but the scenery and changes from guerneville (forest with cool morning clouds) to dry creek/alexander valley/chalk hill sunhine is pretty incredible. I have fond memories, but vowed to never do the race again after temps hit 97 degrees in 2014 and late start.
3) Steelhead 70.3 2015: Great weather, great logistics, road was pretty crappy and starting in late wave (happens to me all the time...see above) made it tough to bike past everyone on the bumpy roads. run was okay.
4) Harvestmoon 2012: Love swimming in Aurora Reservoir (cleanest in front range), but didn't like the bike...windy ride with ripped up roads...not like Boulder county. Run is great...flat around the reservoir.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite 70.3 course (North America) [znerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Harvest Moon was pretty windy this year too, but I think they've repaved a lot of the problem spots since 2012 so the roads weren't too bad. The run was great though - I saw lots of wildlife, including some sort of wading crane.

I've been on the fence about whether to grab a spot in Boulder 70.3 for 2016, but it sounds like several people in this thread had a good experience with it. I'm just used to paying $100-$150 for non-WTC HIMs so the $280 price tag for Boulder is making me wince. Probably I should just ask for it as a Christmas present :)
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite 70.3 course (North America) [MenschMaschine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would do Boulder if you can. the bike course is one of my favorites. I ride it somewhat regularly in training for other rides. Did two of them yesterday and got stopped by one light in 107 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite 70.3 course (North America) [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a great time at Toughman NY. The run course was hard but very senic and bike course closed to traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. George
Silverman
Vineman
Oceanside.
Yes I am from So Cal.
None are easy courses. Other than Oceanside, they can have tough conditions. We like what we know.
Wildflower gets an honorable mention (when there is water)

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite 70.3 course (North America) [TricentralPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live near toughman ny course, have done it, have done many other halves, and this one would be near the bottom of my list. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite 70.3 course (North America) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

What do people think of Muskoka vs. Vineman?
Also Steelhead vs. Timberman?

It doesn't matter if a course is flat or hilly, as long as the course itself doesn't get in the way, unlike N.O. which is a bizarro clogged zig-zag swim in a stinky marina, or races with bottomless potholes or T1 to T2 drafters. Honu's run on the grass is great, but Superfrog's beach sand would be impossibly outside my training. Which swims are most fun? Which bikes do you prefer? Which run courses are most scenic?
Last edited by: DamonHenry: Nov 3, 15 22:06
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite 70.3 course (North America) [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DamonHenry wrote:

What do people think of Muskoka vs. Vineman?
Also Steelhead vs. Timberman?

It doesn't matter if a course is flat or hilly, as long as the course itself doesn't get in the way, unlike N.O. which is a bizarro clogged zig-zag swim in a stinky marina, or races with bottomless potholes or T1 to T2 drafters. Honu's run on the grass is great, but Superfrog's beach sand would be impossibly outside my training. Which swims are most fun? Which bikes do you prefer? Which run courses are most scenic?

I've only done Vineman so I can only comment on that one.

Swim: In the Russian River. It's dark and filled with algae or some nasty green stuff that was sticking to me as I got out of the water. Water temp is usually lower 70s I believe. Seeing the steam just on top of the water is cool. People will say that it's so shallow and you can walk many parts of it, but the only time I had to stand was at the turnaround, and that was maybe 10-20 yards. You can swim pretty much that entire course. T1 sucks. It's on the dirt and you'll get mud all over you. My advice would be to have a water bottle to rinse off your feet and a towel to sit on while getting ready for the bike.

Bike: Best thing about this course. The scenery is awesome. Rollling hills that keeps it fun and one major, if you want to call it major, climb...Chalk Hill. After doing IMLT and riding several times this summer in the Tahoe area, Chalk really isn't anything too tough. In fact, the first year I did Vineman I was expecting something crazy with all the talk of Chalk Hill. But, I got done with it and my thought was, "That was it?"

Run: I absolutely hate the run course. It's open and hardly any shade. I don't find the scenery on the course great at all. Actually, one of the worst 13.1 miles in a race I've ever run. There are a couple of hills, but nothing bad. They also try to make the run through the vineyard sound cool. It's absolutely dreadful. Hot, dirty and dusty. Last year I kept pouring water on my head at every aid station to stay cool. Did this at the aid station right before the vineyard. By the time I got out of the vineyard, I was a dirty mess. I had dirt caked all over my legs. Maybe it's just me, but I hate the Vineman 70.3 run.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite 70.3 course (North America) [Dinsky11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dinsky11 wrote:
Superiorman in Duluth, MN is my favorite. A swim in Lake Superior followed by a ride up the north shore and a two loop run along the lake in Duluth.

Yep. I like this race. I am putting it back on my race calendar for 2016.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite 70.3 course (North America) [maddog95835] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.......a towel to sit on while getting ready for the bike

Why the hell do you need to sit down to get ready for the bike?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite 70.3 course (North America) [maddog95835] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your notes. HuffNPuff is right. The best we can hope for is for people to rate the best of the races they've done, and explain why. Vineman shows up on a lot of lists, then your description raises the question of which other races people that rate it highly have done, and what there preferences are.

I'm a huge fan of the Hawaii 70.3 Though it's not North America.The swim is beautiful, T1 is kinda fun as smart racers run their bikes up the short hill exit to avoid the crashers. The bike is the pretty part of the championship course, which can be windy. T2 is on plush golf course grass. The run is as bittersweet as it gets. A mix of soft, challenging grass, ocean views, golf paths of twisting and turning small hills, all with heat, sun and wind to manage. The finish line is fantastic, with grass, showers, burgers and ocean breezes.

The Cozumel 70.3 is North American, though not U.S., and also at the top of the fifteen or so venues I know. The swim is definitely my favorite, with warm, clear, turquoise waters. The bike is my favorite, even better than Kona, with windy ocean views, isolated tropics, and segments through town. The run is a mixture of ocean, village and hotel views. Also nice. However, the race can be hot.

Anyone else have thoughts On Muskoka vs. Vineman or Steelhead vs. Timberman? All of these showed up on people's lists of favorites. Help me choose for 2016.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite 70.3 course (North America) [cmorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toughman 70.3 in Pell City, AL was tough but fun
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite 70.3 course (North America) [NOLA_TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Non-WTC 70.3 races:
  • Door County in Wisconsin July
  • Superiorman in Minnesota--jump from the boat August
  • Grand Rapids in Michigan June
  • Barrelman in Canada September