Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FHL tendon issues (foot?)
Quote | Reply
Anyone here have experience with FHL (flexor hallicus longus) tendon issues? An MRI says I have a partial tear in the FHL tendon between my arch and big toe. It just started hurting one day during a long run (of course it was my last long run before I was supposed to run a marathon :( ). Apparently, I also have tenosynovitis of the peroneous longus.

One doctor said FHL tendon issues are often misdiagnosed as plantar issues, and another Dr said FHL tears are pretty rare. And, one recommended PT right away and the other said wait 6 weeks and/or consider a boot to let it heal before trying pt or running again.

My guess was that even if it was rare, there were surely some ST folks that had been through this ringer before and would have some good advice.

Any experience/thoughts/advice for treatment, PT, prevention, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: FHL tendon issues (foot?) [G$] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True FHL tears are rare, but FHL tendon issues are not that uncommon and are usually misdiagnosed or confused with plantar fasciitis as you mentioned.

I've seen MANY posts here over the years where I figured the poster likely had FHL tendonitis/opathy/whatever rather then plantar fasciitis, but let the forum throngs chime in on every conceivable therapy under the sun ;-)

As for when to start therapy, I'd wait a bit as well, then start.

Last edited by: rroof: Jun 29, 15 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: FHL tendon issues (foot?) [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof or others.... Any thoughts on PRP injection in the FHL? I just saw another Dr about my FHL issues as it has been 2 months of laying off running and my FHL has improved but still isn't 100%--it is still slightly swollen (or maybe that is scar tissue?) when I touch it.

The new Dr recommended a walking boot for a month to really give it a chance to rest. We also talked about a PRP injection although he has never done one in an FHL. (Yikes...not sure I want to be the first time for a Dr at anything.)

Anyway, I'm looking at 3 months of inactivity now, at least, with this additional month in a boot. I'm totally out of shape now, so this year is a write off. I'd rather it be fixed right rather than fixed quickly and not right.

Just reaching out again to the ST community for people with experience with FHL issues and maybe even PRP in their foot.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: FHL tendon issues (foot?) [G$] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do PRP injections. They work merely OK and are just an option in the treatment bag for any tendinopathy.

I've also never done a PRP injection for FHL tendinopathy (and I doubt you will find anyone that has more then just a few). But, doing under ultrasound guidance it doesn't much matter.

Re: FHL tendon issues (foot?) [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My issue is in arch- see attached photo. Doesn't extend towards big toe. What could this most likely be?
Quote Reply