Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a west coaster so no opinion on the races you listed. If you are looking for a nice destination for you and your wife, you might consider Boulder or Vineman. My wife isn't a big fan of my trications but she had a really good time in Boulder a few weeks ago. Great restaurants, pubs, shopping at Pearl Street, hiking, etc. It's relatively easy to get there from Denver.

Vineman is in my backyard. I've done the half a couple of times. If you like wine, scenery, food, etc then this would be a good option as well. Not a bad drive from SF or Oakland. Sometimes you can find flights into Santa Rosa.

Neither course is particularly hilly but both can be hot. I'm planning to do full Vineman next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camtdc wrote:

Vineman is in my backyard. I've done the half a couple of times. If you like wine, scenery, food, etc then this would be a good option as well. Not a bad drive from SF or Oakland. Sometimes you can find flights into Santa Rosa.

Neither course is particularly hilly but both can be hot. I'm planning to do full Vineman next year.

I've definitely looked at Vineman. Can't go wrong with Russian River brewing........
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
IronStork wrote:
Whistler seems to be getting rated relatively high. What are the downsides to Whistler and why isn't this race sold out? Same weekend as IMLP?

Downside of Whistler if you are anywhere but the Pacific Northwest is you have to fly. IMLP, everyone drives there. There are like 50M people within driving distance of IMLP....for Whistler is is barely 5M people. Other than that Whister is slightly tougher than LP BUT I bet you if Whistler was exactly where LP was located and LP was where Whistler is located, Whister would sell out and LP would not. Its mainly a population thing.

Up side of Whistler is you are in Whistler. It is waaaaay cheaper onsite than LP with much better accommodations.
I've done Whistler twice, and did IMMT for the first time this year. Whistler is somewhat less expensive and I like its run course better. But despite the shitty weather this year, I liked Mont Tremblant better overall. It just felt more hospitable. Single transition and proximity to the village is better for racers and better for spectators. The IMMT bike course has some quick climbs to wake you up but it is fair -- versus Whistler which I feel is harder and mentally really tough at the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [thetriranger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetriranger wrote:
1. Wisconsin
2. Chattanooga
3. CDA. This is 2B and ranks right there with Chatt
4. LVL

surprised chattanooga hasnt gotten more votes
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only done 5 so I will stick to those:

1. St George (old 140.6 course) - this thing was something special. Crazy scenic, crazy hard, spectacular all around. The town is affordable, family friendly and great places to eat or to spend some extra time afterwards.
2. Wisconsin - this would be my favorite of the existing races I've done. Beautiful swim course, hard technical bike and the atmosphere on the hills is like the Tour de France. Running on State street never gets old. Great food and fun city. Affordable especially if you stay 15 mins away from the Hilton.
3. Mont Tremblant - really pretty pedestrian village that's so close by to the race. This city goes all out with fireworks and fighter jets and super smooth roads. Bike course is a bit boring and the run course is (other than the run through the pedestrian village) incredibly boring. This race could raise the bar beyond anything else but the boringness of the bike and run is a bit of a bummer. Bring your wallet.
4. Maryland - Choptank swim is cool, not an easy swim. Bike course can be anything from superfast to very hard depending on the wind. Cambridge is a cute little town, but the race needs to grow more to bring more people and make it more of a party. Bit too quiet so far. Lodging is a problem.
5. Vineman - I've never found this race very exciting. Swim feels a little too easy, the town of Windsor is similar to Maryland but lacking the waterfront finish. if you're not into wine your a bit out of place. Vineman is like Adele... totally overrated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latest poll here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._string=imc#p6033556

I vote for IMC!

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [rmontalbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience, although a bit limited......

Penticton was my favorite course.

Chattanooga was a bit easier (except for run) and nice town.

Louisville was the best finish line and was my first so a lot of emotions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of the ones I've done:

Kona
Wisconsin
Lake Placid
Florida

After Kona, I couldn't argue with the the position of the others. There are things I really liked about all of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool.

I'm still seeing Wisconsin listed fairly often. It's definitely one I was really leaning toward. A work colleague of mine went there for undergrad and loves the city. She said we'd have a good time post race for sure......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bulldog15 wrote:
Sorry to bump this thread, but it is very interesting and didn't want to lose the info already provided. I'm thinking about my first full for next year and obviously need to decide on which race.
I'm in the Philly area and would love to not fly to it, but for the right reasons, I would.

Just wanted to see if there are any new opinions out there. I guess my thoughts are for my wife and I (no kids) post race, I would love to know there would be a decent selection of things to do per eating and drinking. So I've been leaning more toward an urban destination.

In approximate order of proximity to me:

Maryland. The time of year and how it relates to weather scares me. Also the lack of lodging is tough
Lake Placid. I hear so much about it living in this area that I'm almost not interested. That and the price gouging.
Mont Tremblant.
North Carolina. Same thing about the time of year / weather..........
IMLou
IMChoo
IMMoo. Probably the outer reaches of driving per my wife.

Am I missing one(even non IM)? And if something stands out over these that required flying, I'm not totally opposed. It seems people love Whistler.......

Post-race, both Wisconsin and Mt Tremblant are really nice, if you are staying near the race venue. Being in downtown Madison, there are a number of nice places open after the race with good food and beer. Mt Tremblant is an awesome ski village with tons of places...after the race, we had burgers and beers overlooking the finish line, which was really cool.

Quote | Reply
I just finished Mont Tremblant and it moves right to the top of the list. What a great venue and course
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed with your lovely wife. I was lucky to race it 2003 after doing 4 Graham Fraser organized IM events (Florida, LP, IMC twice) and at that time I was like "this is shit in comparison!" It had mystic and a stunning swim start with sea turtles and Dolphins but that was it. I was shocked how disorganized and lack of value at that time it had.

Returning 2011 it was WAY BETTER of a race organizationally. Swim exit changed for better. T1 better designed. Way better pre and post traffic flow of athletes. Far more "welcoming" vibe. Far better swag and merchandise. Way better expo. All things that money provides-:)

I'm looking now to go watch and holy shit flights are $1200CAN from Kelowna. So agreed too on logistics and expense!

As for OP thread. I've done Florida, LP, IMC Penticton, Wisconsin, in NA. UK and Wales in Europe. IMC Penticton was always my favourite so much so I moved here. But when I lived east I loved going to train, race, spectate LP. Incredible place. I've gone to Whistler twice to watch and I have to race that course. It's incredible. Going to Whistler on vacation Labor Day weekend to soak in the mountains with wife. No bikes. It's a stunning place.

My favourite race experience was Wales. Hardest bloody course. Most amazing stunning venue. Most welcoming community. Best (drunken) fans ever.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my list for North American races I've done:

Coeur d'Alene
Louisville
Arizona
Florida (x2)

Now to add a little perspective, here's the full list of races I've done in order of preference.

Regensberg, Germany
Kalmar, Sweden
Zurich, Switzerland
Cozumel (x2)
Coeur d'Alene
Louisville
Arizona
Florida (x2)
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Here's my list for North American races I've done:

Coeur d'Alene
Louisville
Arizona
Florida (x2)

Now to add a little perspective, here's the full list of races I've done in order of preference.

Regensberg, Germany
Kalmar, Sweden
Zurich, Switzerland
Cozumel (x2)
Coeur d'Alene
Louisville
Arizona
Florida (x2)

Regensburg was amazing. Sad to see they didn't get a big field for the Challenge race... they improved on an already stellar course.
Maybe it gets unfairly compared to Roth, which is the pinnacle of iron distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:

1. St George (old 140.6 course) - this thing was something special. Crazy scenic, crazy hard, spectacular all around. The town is affordable, family friendly and great places to eat or to spend some extra time afterwards.
2. Wisconsin - this would be my favorite of the existing races I've done. Beautiful swim course, hard technical bike and the atmosphere on the hills is like the Tour de France. Running on State street never gets old. Great food and fun city. Affordable especially if you stay 15 mins away from the Hilton.
3. Mont Tremblant - really pretty pedestrian village that's so close by to the race. This city goes all out with fireworks and fighter jets and super smooth roads. Bike course is a bit boring and the run course is (other than the run through the pedestrian village) incredibly boring. This race could raise the bar beyond anything else but the boringness of the bike and run is a bit of a bummer. Bring your wallet.
4. Maryland - Choptank swim is cool, not an easy swim. Bike course can be anything from superfast to very hard depending on the wind. Cambridge is a cute little town, but the race needs to grow more to bring more people and make it more of a party. Bit too quiet so far. Lodging is a problem.
5. Vineman - I've never found this race very exciting. Swim feels a little too easy, the town of Windsor is similar to Maryland but lacking the waterfront finish. if you're not into wine your a bit out of place. Vineman is like Adele... totally overrated.

How can you be so right about IM St. George and so totally wrong about IM Vineman? I've done IMVM twice and we have stayed in Guerneville both times. The family and I have loved both of our experiences there. Nothing overrated at all about Sonoma County and the race itself. St. George is awesome in every way, but I live in Utah so I may be a bit biased. You are dead wrong about Adele. Heathen! :-)

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've done:
placid, wisconsin, cozumel, maryland, atlantic city, and now immt.

overall experience, immt HANDS DOWN. wisconsin wins with the crowd on the hills, but it was raining cats and dogs this weekend, so that def reduced the crowds (even then, tons of people were out). the wisconsin run course is also better, but the finish line at tremblant, the village, the swim. it's hard to beat how relaxing it is and how much stuff there is to do (hiking, riding, luge riding etc etc etc)...

john
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
Benv wrote:

How can you be so right about IM St. George and so totally wrong about IM Vineman? I've done IMVM twice and we have stayed in Guerneville both times. The family and I have loved both of our experiences there. Nothing overrated at all about Sonoma County and the race itself. St. George is awesome in every way, but I live in Utah so I may be a bit biased. You are dead wrong about Adele. Heathen! :-)

Haha, well maybe it's just a 'fit' thing with me and VIneman :-) I stayed in Guerneville the first time when I did the 70.3, I think it was called Applewoods Inn? I thought it was a town with potential but a lot of homeless people everywhere giving it a rundown feeling. For the 140.6 I stayed in Windsor (Hampton Inn I think). I still wouldn't know anything exciting to say about Windsor. Maybe it's simply not my thing! I wouldn't quite know what to do with the family there either. All people that I know that love it don't seem to have kids and enjoy the wine tasting type experience which is not at all a match for my family. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know of a chart, or site, that details which Ironmans are most beneficial to strong swimmers/cyclists/runners or any combination?

For example, a tough bike/run course with some current is obviously going to benefit a weaker swimmer who can bike and run well.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know of a chart, or site, that details which Ironmans are most beneficial to strong swimmers/cyclists/runners or any combination?

For example, a tough bike/run course with some current is obviously going to benefit a weaker swimmer who can bike and run well.

Thanks!

Here it is: http://www.trirating.com/course-ratings/
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:

Thanks!

Lots of fun to be had here:
http://www.trirating.com/course-ratings/

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who have responded Kona, Hawaii is not considered to be part of any continent.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Ironman course (North America) [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
For those who have responded Kona, Hawaii is not considered to be part of any continent.

Next you are going to point out Africa isn't a country. ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next