Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Overreaching (overtraining) - how to recover?
Quote | Reply
Hi - I'm training for my first sprint tri. I used a plan I found online and made sure my longest workouts increase by only 10% a week, but I think I have officially overreached in my training, and not in a healthy way.

I did a practice run for the race, which went well, a couple weeks ago. The next day, I tried a swim sighting technique, pulled some muscles in my neck, and ended up with a migraine. Two and a half weeks later, I'm better but still tired, occasionally dizzy, and just generally feeling bad.

I went to the MD and everything checks out fine, including blood tests for everything under the sun. My doc says I'm good to go back to training, and I took a couple weeks "off," training at about 50%.

Things are a bit better overall, but I'm not sure how slow to take a return to training and my first sprint tri was supposed to be July 12th. It seems that I can get through workouts, but if I don't get a ton of sleep, I might feel super tired the next day, and not be up for training then. I'm not getting overly sore, I'm eating well, and I added a multivitamin just in case.

I'm really frustrated. I want to feel like I'm taking care of my body, but after months of training, I'd also love to do this race. Any tips? I know it could be this or that, but assuming it's overreaching (like a lesser version of overtraining), does anyone have any advice? My MD seems kind of clueless.
Quote Reply
Re: Overreaching (overtraining) - how to recover? [Peti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydration, rest and a good diet of course as a first recourse. .I have been getting pretty run down as well due to life issues and 70.3 training. I've found that adding some supplemental Glutamine in for a week or so seems to help me snap back. I was really beat last week and my throat got pretty sore, so I took it for about a week. I usually start feeling better after about 3 days on it. My recovery, energy and ,therefore, my mood improve. I don't take it regularly, but do use it when I feel I might be more depleted.
Hope you feel better soon!
Last edited by: lam: Jun 26, 15 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It seems that I can get through workouts, but if I don't get a ton of sleep, I might feel super tired the next day, and not be up for training then.

Here's your answer! As a personal trainer, I remind many people who struggle on their athletic journey that sleep and rest are actually the "body-building" phase. That's where repair of damage done in training takes place. More sleep = faster training!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Overreaching (overtraining) - how to recover? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2, sleep can't be overrated.

Also, on the dizziness - I get dizzy when it is humid. Additionally, can you identify WHEN it happens? Is it if you stand up too quickly (in which case it's nothing to worry about)? Is it when you haven't eaten in awhile (in which case it could be low blood sugar)?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which came first? This? "pulled some muscles in my neck, and ended up with a migraine." or this? "if I don't get a ton of sleep, I might feel super tired the next day, and not be up for training then"?

Your OP doesn't make me think of overreaching - it makes me think that you put something outta whack with your neck/head - your symptoms sound a lot like concussion but that doesn't seem the case here. Did you get some massage/physio for that area? maybe you've got some goofy muscle knot or imbalance that could be throwing other things off (blood flow to brain? balance? I dunno, I'm not a doc).

Can you list your typical weeks worth of workouts?

Also, what did the doc check you for?

ANYTHING ELSE????? cycles normal? body fat normal? blood glucose normal? TSH normal?

I'll echo SSPs comment re: sleep - when you increase that training load you need MORE to recover. I'm just concerned that there's something else going on.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Overreaching (overtraining) - how to recover? [lam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, I am going to grab some glutamine and give it a try! It's nice to know I'm not the only one this has happened to, though your training is probably a bit more intense than mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Overreaching (overtraining) - how to recover? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am really focusing on getting more nutrient dense food and rest in. It seems like I need 45 minutes to an hour of sleep or some kind of guided relaxation along with 8.5 hours of sleep a night. So be it, for now. It's weird, because I'm 30, and this seems like a lot of time spent in bed, but I think perhaps I've over done it.
Quote Reply
Re: Overreaching (overtraining) - how to recover? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I'm not sure if I should reply individually, but thank you all for the replies. It has really helped! So, SallyShortyPnts, I took your advice most literally, and decided to really focus on food, water, salt and sleep. I'm resting maybe 10 hours a day right now, not all sleep, but sleep or some kind of relaxation. I altered my diet to add more nutrient dense foods and a bit more variety, I'm drinking lots of water, and because eating salt seems to make it feel better, I'm eating more salt. I seem to be slowly feeling better. It's just been a bit scary, you know? When I'm tired, I feel so down/low, but I have found that an hour nap can allow me to do a workout (plus a good night's sleep before and after).

Tigerchik, the dizziness seems to happen when I'm really tired, say, if I haven't gotten enough sleep or I'm wiped out from a workout. I think it is also related to muscle tension in the back of my head, as sometimes stretching those muscles can mimic it. It seems like, if I get my meals in on time (before that "I'm starving" moment) and if I lie down and sleep when I start to feel it, it is better. I think I"m feeling more tired than dizzy at this point if that makes sense. It's been really hard to figure out, actually.

Andypants, here's a proper timeline for ya:
1. Was run down from work travel and crazy schedule
2. Did a practice sprint tri
3. Pulled neck/upper back/head muscles the next day doing open water swimming
4. Migraine
5. Lingering dizziness/tiredness for weeks

I've been training since February, six days a week. Was in OK, but not amazing shape before that. I do each activity twice a week, with two easy days, two hard days (exertion), two short days, two long days, in some combination. Yoga once a week. I have a PT who does myofascial release with me (and yes, my head has been tense and yucky lately). So, it could be an easy, long day, for example. I've been building the length of the longest workouts 10% each week. So, I started at 45 mins, and made it up to 100 mins before this issue. I guess I should go back to my training log and see about overall workout time. I'm using a modified version of the Iron Girl sprint training program (triple the swim lengths, etc.)

My cycles are normal, body fat is normal (I'm actually gaining a pound a month, so I'm 5'7", 125) Blood glucose, hormone levels, organ function, iron, etc etc etc all normal. My protein level was very slightly under the normal range, but my MD said it was fine.

I guess some part of me is worried there could be something else going on, but I'm relieved to be doing even a bit better. Hard to explain how wacky it seems when one day you're cranking out a 90 minute workout and the next day you're in bed. So far, this forum has been the only legit advice I've gotten, so ... many thanks, truly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'd dial it back - if you are training for a sprint, then you don't need a 100min session of anything.

Here's what I'd do: cut your times (duration) back in half, and have at least 2 days off a week, not 1. Also, if you have a hard day, follow it by a day off. Kinda like: easy day, easy day, hard day, day off, easy day, hard day, day off.

Get to your start line rested at least.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Quote:
I am really focusing on getting more nutrient dense food and rest in. It seems like I need 45 minutes to an hour of sleep or some kind of guided relaxation along with 8.5 hours of sleep a night. So be it, for now. It's weird, because I'm 30, and this seems like a lot of time spent in bed, but I think perhaps I've over done it.

I'm 28, and I'm a 9 hr a night girl. :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Tigerchik, the dizziness seems to happen when I'm really tired, say, if I haven't gotten enough sleep or I'm wiped out from a workout. I think it is also related to muscle tension in the back of my head, as sometimes stretching those muscles can mimic it. It seems like, if I get my meals in on time (before that "I'm starving" moment) and if I lie down and sleep when I start to feel it, it is better. I think I"m feeling more tired than dizzy at this point if that makes sense. It's been really hard to figure out, actually.

I sort of get the same thing... I'm also super into salty foods (I sweat so much!)

Quote:
Hard to explain how wacky it seems when one day you're cranking out a 90 minute workout and the next day you're in bed.
Well, if you're tired from the 90 min workout, it makes perfect sense. :-)

Quote Reply