Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2016 Trek Madone 9 [elim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elim wrote:
Beauty. Advance paid. Bike ordered. I should get it by Easter. We will debut in Ronde van Vlaanderen Challenge.

What color did you order? I'm about to pull the trigger on a project 1 frame this week and I just need to figure out color and scheme.

I saw 3 new Madones this past weekend at the pace bend road race, all the guys were lovin' on their new machines. I'm not usually a big fan of red bikes, but that Madone looks really sharp in solid red. I'm a little worried about fading since I've had a red bike in the past that faded after a couple years. I was also thinking about the "minimal logo" scheme in white, but I can't really find any good pics of it in that scheme. I think it's flat white based on the description and I'm not sure about that. I really like the minimal clean look, but I'm not sure I want to go that simple. I also like the waterloo blue, but that light blue is a bit trendy right now and I plan to keep the bike a while.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Trek Madone 9 [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing special. I am more than happy with Madone 9.5 colour scheme so I ordered it but had mechanical DA substituted with electronic one and chainrings changed to 52-36.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
elim wrote:
Nothing special. I am more than happy with Madone 9.5 colour scheme so I ordered it but had mechanical DA substituted with electronic one and chainrings changed to 52-36.

That will be a nice ride. Good move on the di2, I don't think I'd want to recable that bike too often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing that kept me from ordering it was a bit problematic removal of handlebar in order to pack the bike in the case as I often fly with it. Having seen the problems people have with Spec Venge VIAS I expected the worst but two independent mechanics assured me that it will not be togher than it is on my tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
elim wrote:
The only thing that kept me from ordering it was a bit problematic removal of handlebar in order to pack the bike in the case as I often fly with it. Having seen the problems people have with Spec Venge VIAS I expected the worst but two independent mechanics assured me that it will not be togher than it is on my tri bike.

I spent an hour or so with a guy at my lbs messing with fit (including handlebar removal) for my test ride. It's obviously more complex with the internal cables, but it's all sensible and well thought out.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Trek Madone 9 [brigby1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to be able to run a clip on bar on that thing and use it for the occasional tri. But I am not aware of any solution. The only maker I am aware of that offers a solution is Giant with the Propel. Using aero road bikes for triathlon must not be a big market.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Trek Madone 9 [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would require you to change the handlebar and destroy rig's sleek cockpit. I do not think the had triathletes in mind when they developed it. Anyway I plan to do at least two triathlons on it. One will be xtreme type half distance and one sprint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure they would rather you drop another $5k on the Speed Concept.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Trek Madone 9 [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered my project 1 Madone frame today. They said I should have it by end of March.

It's replacing my Tarmac, which has been my primary race bike for the last 4-5 years. My last 7 bikes have been Specialized (and I still have 5 of them), but the Madone couldn't be ignored. The new Venge is an improvement over the previous model, but I still think they have work to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek chatline said they are working on aerobars for madone 9.2 I would love that, as one would then have an excellent roadbike, with good aero features for tri. heck, i would use it for 140, with aerobars. For slow guys like me, not sure i would sustain any significant aero penalty vs dedicated tribike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Trek Madone 9 [docdave1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
docdave1 wrote:
Trek chatline said they are working on aerobars for madone 9.2 I would love that, as one would then have an excellent roadbike, with good aero features for tri. heck, i would use it for 140, with aerobars. For slow guys like me, not sure i would sustain any significant aero penalty vs dedicated tribike.

That's awesome to hear! The 9.2 is a very fast bike. If it fit I would certainly consider one especially for long-course. IMO, comfort and integration is the next frontier for tri bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Trek Madone 9 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
docdave1 wrote:

That's awesome to hear! The 9.2 is a very fast bike. If it fit I would certainly consider one especially for long-course. IMO, comfort and integration is the next frontier for tri bikes.

Oh how I want a new Madone to replace my 16yr old Trek. Having the option for integrated aerobars would make me very happy.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Trek Madone 9 [meenanm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Here is mine. I got it a few months ago. Pretty much the best Madone I have ever owned!

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Trek Madone 9 [ttx_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa ... dude, that is one sweet bike!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the post/pics. beautiful machine; heading to Austin today to test ride one. My question; would you consider riding this bike for 70.3 race? I can only afford one bike, and train in big hills. LBS said "think about madone 9.2" I ask as you stated that you can compare to your speedconcept. thanks for your input.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Trek Madone 9 [docdave1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My rides are about 50-50 on the Modone/SC. Usually group rides at work are on the Madone and solo rides are always on the speed concept. I prefer the Madone for climbing and the speed concept for just the flats because of the positioning. Someone will come out with areo bars for the road bike eventually, but until then you can still get a great ride on the Madone in a tri and overall riding experience.
Oh yeah, I would be totally comfortable writing this in a half IM.

Last edited by: ttx_tri: Sep 4, 16 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttx_tri wrote:

Here is mine. I got it a few months ago. Pretty much the best Madone I have ever owned!

WOW! That is fantastic! Is that color combo special order? Also, would you mind sharing the specs on your bike? I want one!
John
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Trek Madone 9 [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a custom one off, from the race team. The spec is full Dura Ace Di2 and the frame is a 2016 Madone H2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttx_tri wrote:
It was a custom one off, from the race team. The spec is full Dura Ace Di2 and the frame is a 2016 Madone H2.

Thank you. It is fantastic. Which wheels are those? And is it the Madone 9.9?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Trek Madone 9 [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Madone 9.9.

The wheels are Bontrager Aeolus A5 D3 clinchers. The rear is laced to a G3 Powertap. I had the vinyl wheel decals cut at Victory Circle graphics to finish it off.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttx_tri wrote:
Yes, Madone 9.9.

The wheels are Bontrager Aeolus A5 D3 clinchers. The rear is laced to a G3 Powertap. I had the vinyl wheel decals cut at Victory Circle graphics to finish it off.

Thank you. It is quite beautiful!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next