Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy, Turbo. No one's beating up on anyone. Like I said, I knew it would be a mess. But as bad as the trail was yesterday, you should have seen the roads. No way was I tempting fate there. So, I figured I'd give it a try and make a game of it, like intervals between groups of people and go slow where it's crowded.

The thing that bothers me about trails (and roads, for that matter) is the lack of awareness and courtesy by other users. But ok, I expected that. I just never thought someone would go to such lengths to intentionally block out their surroundings. I have the same reaction when I see someone driving with ear buds in.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [S Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got bit by a dog on a local path last year. I needed to cross a river and the road bridge on my route is closed to cyclists (Red Gate Road bridge over the Fox in St Charles for those here in Chicagoland). There's a dedicated cycling/pedestrian bridge below to roadway that's fairly narrow. The ramp down to the bike bridge is fenced on both sides. Some idiotic person had their dog walking without a leash on this narrow, fenced ramp. I slowed way down to avoid hitting the dog. The dog promptly can up and without warning bit me hard on the leg. Not painful but enough to very slightly break the skin. The person's explanation: "well, you were warned". First, I wasn't warned. Secondly, put your fucking dog on a leash, idiot. Especially put a dog that has likely bitten before on a leash while walking a crowded path. I didn't get tested for rabies, apparently I'm OK. WTF is wrong with people?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
CAT 6... The ones who draft off you for miles only to sprint ahead of you (while riding in z2). Then about 250m up you pass them again when they have to deal with their own wind. This usually happens 2-5 times before they are dropped for good.

I don't ride on bike trails much but this does happen on the parkways. I will lock my brakes up or go into potholes to shake these guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"rolled back" bar ends gets me every time. People that wobbly should not have their brakes out of reach.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
Yesterday I saw a very tall, overweight, middle-age man riding a road bike while wearing bib tights (not shorts) over a mesh crop top.

There's an instagram account that captures stuff like this 'fredsofnewyork' that captures some good denizens of the bike path...
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not exactly the bike path, but when I lived in Paris I'd commute to work every day on my bicycle, and every morning, coming in the opposite direction, was "smoking fashion model." She was mid-30s, always impeccably dressed and made up, often in high-healed leather boots and a stylish overcoat, and looked like she was coming from a Vogue photo shoot. She'd invariably be smoking a cigarette while simultaneously on the phone. Occasionally I'd see her during the evening commute and she'd add a baguette to the mix, just to turn the "Frenchness" volume to 11.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [xgep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't pass up adding this guy...one of those times I was happy to have a GoPro going. I don't think the visual needs much explanation. Some things that befuddled me, apart from him drafting without a helmet (or jersey) behind a female, were:

--Pinarello Dogma F8 with bar tape matching his socks
--SRAM eTap!!!! (I felt sorry for the groupset)
--Tri shoes on his road bike (he should be able to afford more than one pair of cycling shoes)
--Lightweight front wheel (worth about the same as my entire road bike) paired with a Zipp 202 rear (maybe his other Lightweight was in the shop)
--Dual "gizmo" mounts...smartphone up nice and high on the stem and what looks like an Edge 1000 on his handlebar, yet no Strava (I checked)

Sadly, it was a pretty quiet Sun...this was about as weird as it got!

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Last edited by: allenpg: Aug 2, 16 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here in Denver, if you time it right, you can see someone shooting up on Cherry Creek trail as you head west!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [Blainedh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the weird, pokeman-like denizen searching of the bike path, I have just collected the bike helmet sun brim attachment lady. Bonus points for helmet mirror.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just did the Silver Comet for the first time Sunday.........way too many walkers......(people who walk) with earbuds. They never hear on your left....lots of rookie cyclists. nice path if it is not crowded!

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is an odd look. I will say I only have one pair of triathlon shoes and I use them on my tri bike and road bike mainly because the cleats are setup just right and I don't want to fiddle with cleats on a new pair of road bike shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Bike Path [Black Slacks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you start about 20 miles out (There is a "rest area w/ a parking lot right around MM20) and head west there are a lot less riders and walkers. Plus there are some hills out there believe it or not (between Rockmart and Cedartown).

If you can ride on a weekday it's much more tolerable... weekends... it's like Russian Roulette out there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next