Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Monday, May 25 (Memorial Day): How are you?
Quote | Reply
How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Monday, May 25 (Memorial Day): How are you? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant to go back to last week's thread and update w/ workouts and goals, and never got around to it. I had a pretty good week - we had two professors visiting from other universities, so that was fun. One is a swimmer and he accompanied me to the pool on Thursday morning.
Food went well except for one day.

Goal for this week: swim each day M-F. Preliminary oral exam and dissertation prospectus defense are Friday, so the other goal is to pass that (this is actually a pass/fail thing).

Two weeks ago workouts: 14,200 yd swim + 11 mi bike + 40.4 mi run + 2h10 stairmaster
last week: 10,800 yd swim + 21 mi bike + 43 mi run

I fly home in 13 days!!!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
- Run 4X (and try to do some skate drills after again, that worked well) - DONE and felt great, a lot less coughing up crud every morning.
- Ride once - DONE
- Football 2x - DONE
- Lay off two more people tomorrow :-( and there will be another 30 or so across the company, so tomorrow will be a really shitty day. - DONE :-(

- BONUS swim (really!)
- BONUS mountain biking with K - her first time on trails and structures.... very proud of my brave little toaster...

This week: I am in Edmonton for work this week so it will be tiring, but hopefully productive.
- Run 4x
- Swim once (why not)
- Football once

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Monday, May 25 (Memorial Day): How are you? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least the weather here is nice.

Didn't do much last week. Busy with life stuff & it's been hot - so no running for me.

I did get in 3 bike commutes though. 60km of riding with 50km of towing an empty Chariot. At least it's a good workout. I'm planning on riding at least 3 days a week, it seems to be the only way I get on my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week was rough - so I'm cutting myself some slack. I'm still having rough moments because of the dog.

I swam twice, ran 3x, biked 3x.
Put in an big training weekend - 62 mi bike on Sat. then 9 mi run 40 mi bike 3 mi run on Sunday.
Memorial Day swim workout - and the best is that for the summer I now swim outside in a 50m pool! LOVE IT!! Plus the swim workout went really well... I made two 100m on a 1:45 interval... after making 4 on 1:55 and 3 on 1:50 with some pulling in between those... I was glad to find the 1:50 interval wasn't really bad at all. PLUS it's METERS. Long course METERS.
And just being outside makes me VERY HAPPY.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Swim x 1: win
Run x 3: win
Core/strength x 1: done
Mobility/stretch x 2: win

The 50k went better than I had any right or reason to expect, despite almost no sleep in the week leading up to race day. Never would have dreamed of going under 5:45 (official time was 5:43:24), and the 24.5min PR was just enough to crack the top 10 women overall. Gorgeous day, stunning trails, and felt really good throughout. Massive amounts of win.

This week's goals:
Walk x 1: done
Run x 4
Swim x 4
Bike x 2
Core/strength x 3
Foam roll/stretch x 1: done

Legs have been rough & my feet are still a bit swollen, but I might try a short run tonight before going to the pool. Have just been walking for the last couple of days - figure I earned a bit of a break.

Quote | Reply
you may already know this, but lcm is about 14% slower than scy :-)

that is a big training weekend!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, hence my excitement. Usually our coach adjusts the intervals by 10 sec for scy vs lcm. So inside a 1:40 becomes 1:50 outside in the long pool.

But I love being outdoors. It makes swimming a pleasure instead of a drudgery. Except when it's like 10 degrees outside. Then I don't seem to mind the indoor pool. Helps me 'forget' it's winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, I may be the only swimmer in the world that is faster in lcm than scm. Due to injury can't do flip turns, and have to be quite cautious with open turns. The fewer turns the better for me.

Got cleared this week to start up light training. Whoa bessie, I've got a big hole to dig out of, and a lot of weight to lose.

Sch, I'm back to week one of guppies. Hopefully I can make it stick this time around.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Monday, May 25 (Memorial Day): How are you? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had the option, I'd swim LCM exclusively. I do flip turns, but with long distance swimming I think less of them is better.... LOVE the 50m pool. Wish it was a year round option for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Monday, May 25 (Memorial Day): How are you? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear you are back on the Guppy wagon!

I pretty much did no training and ate and drank everything in sight last week so aim for this week is to ease back into it. I got in one open water swim - I still don't really like it, who knows what could be lurking in the shadows in the depths of the lake. Well, I know, because I had a fish sighting and then the following day a snake sighting. Fish I can handle but #snakesinlakes (what the other half started calling it) was a step too far. Also did some kayaking while the other half did a post-snakesighting OWS. Walked around Brooklyn a lot; danced for hours at a wedding; met my best friend's niece and got to eat my mother's cooking. She also surprised me with an early birthday cake and that was awesome.

So this week: FTP test (done, it went well), start TrainerRoad half-iron program, get back into the pool (realistically once), run x 3.

Slight dilemma about whether to do the mid volume or high volume TR plan (difference is 1 hour per week on average). I was planning to do the high volume but the last bit of build went really well and my FTP jumped more than I expected so I'm wary I'm just going to burn myself out. That said, the biking has been the best bit of my training this year so maybe I should just go for it?
Quote Reply