Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cool Pic of Hale-Bopp
Quote | Reply
Comet Hale-Bopp Over Val Parola Pass
Credit & Copyright: A. Dimai, (Col Druscie Obs.), AAC

Explanation: Comet Hale-Bopp became much brighter than any surrounding stars. It was seen even over bright city lights. Out away from city lights, however, it put on quite a spectacular show. Here Comet Hale-Bopp was photographed above Val Parola Pass in the Dolomite mountains surrounding Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy. Comet Hale-Bopp's blue ion tail was created when fast moving particles from the solar wind struck expelled ions from the comet's nucleus. The white dust tail is composed of larger particles of dust and ice expelled by the nucleus that orbit behind the comet. Observations showed that Comet Hale-Bopp's nucleus spins about once every 12 hours.

Quote | Reply
Magnificent!

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool Pic of Hale-Bopp [The Square Peg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't this the comet that made those guys castrate themselves and commit suicide in their new Nikes with clothes over their hears?
Quote Reply
Re: Cool Pic of Hale-Bopp [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I remember that...

They called themselves, "Heaven's Gate"
Quote Reply
Re: Cool Pic of Hale-Bopp [The Square Peg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hale-Bopp was one of the coolest things I have seen. Maybe someone else will remember this from another vantage point. I'll never forget watching it for several nights when I was camping in Canyonlands park.

One night in particular a couple of friends of mine and I were looking at it during a full moon when one of us commented that it would be neat if the moon wasn't so bright so we could see it better. Not 10 minutes later it started getting darker as the moon turned an orange-red. One of us said, "is that a cloud" but it turned out to be a lunar eclipse! It was so cool that it happened because none of us knew there was supposed to be an eclipse that night.

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: j1O24: Feb 13, 09 16:58
Quote Reply
Re: Cool Pic of Hale-Bopp [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that same sight from a campground at Roosevelt Lake in Arizona. Spring Break 1997, it would have been. not a cloud in the sky, not a town around, the comet on one side and the lunar eclipse on the other.

Pulling from another thread in the main forum, if you're the JT that was at CU then, it was a spring break training trip with R Kelly, Jinger, Teri, and Amy. ah, the memories (of Jinger getting airlifted to Phoenix, but that's another story).

J
Quote Reply