We first discussed this back in 2004:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing=ultracote;#72883

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Mar 14, 17 6:20
Quote Reply
Re: DIY disc wheel - monokote heat shrink film [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can remember at least one race where I won my AG by one second.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY disc wheel - monokote heat shrink film [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
I thought I'd post this in case anyone wants to try this. I read about this in another DIY disc wheel thread, but did not find any detailed instructions or videos on the interwebs on how to do this.

There are actually a whole bunch of detailed instructions going back to the beginning of this forum, and possibly back to RST; including one that I posted. A couple improvements which are significant (IMVHO) are 1) the substitution of Monokote with Stits ultralight aircraft covering. It is MUCH MUCH tougher (acts similar to rip-stop nylon), shrinks more (so you don't have to be as careful in gluing it), is lighter! , and allows you to re-shrink if you ride the wheel and start to see wrinkles form. It is also more stable in temperatures (i.e. left in a car in summer) 2) Use hex head nipples so that you can true the wheel

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
I'd also venture that you can get a CF cover like the Catalyst, which is an order of magnitude more expensive, but only 50g heavier and most likely significantly more durable (and it shimmers.).

Unfortunately, the Catalyst is no longer made. I have one and like it a lot and plan to take good care of it so it lasts a long time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next