Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GYN question
Quote | Reply
I'm not really sure if "question" really sums it up...more of a statement, with a "what questions SHOULD I be asking".

38 years old, I have an IUD nearing the end of its lifespan (Mirena). History of cysts (chocolate and long-lived fiunctional ones), including a laparoscopy appx. a year and a half ago to remove a larger one at 6x7x5 cm. There was some very very mild endo at that time elsewhere, but not much. Family history of fibroids, cysts, and endo.

After the first 8-12 months or so of the Mirena, things evened out, and I basically had no periods. (FWIW, I'd never had a history of heavy--or even significant periods. No cramping, always very light and short. They might be inconsistent, but never anything excessive at all. And, like I said, after the Mirena "evened out", they by and large ceased, or were a day or two of very light, nothing really needed, spotting.

So I was a bit taken aback when on April 23, not only did I get a "real" period, it was HEAVY. Like large amounts of blood--wayyyy more than I'd ever seen. I used more feminine products in a five day span than I had used in like...well, years. Day 7, still going. By day 10, it had slowed/lightened, but not stopped. Here we are on Day 15, and I would say it has finally achieved what my "normal" period was like--spotting. ( I'm not sure how I had that much to shed, given that I have an IUD.) This was accompanied by cramping, intense burning (sometimes, this would wake me up at night), back pain, feeling of having to pee, etc etc.

I had an US done (on Tuesday, so Day 13). TV (reg. and 3D) and TA. The IUD is in place, but my endometrial lining is quite thick (esp. for someone who spent two weeks feeling like Sissy Spacek), at 9.6 mm. There is (what appears to be) an intrauterine fibroid on a stalk 1.5 cm inferior to the right arm of the Mirena\. Also, an endometrial cyst on the right ovary approaching 3 cm.

So, now they won't do an IUD removal/replacement, until after I talk with an MD/Surgeon about the results. Which I will do next week. My question is...should I be alarmed? Or, rather, what questions should I ask? Is this something they can fix and do the new IUD at the same time? I can't imagine they'd tell me I SHOULDN'T have an IUD, as isn't that one of the first lines of treatment for AUB from fibroids? Is there a solution to this problem, or is it something I really just need to deal with for the next 10-15 years? Tests I should ask for? The history of cysts has given me a certain amount of...tolerance for discomfort, and unless they A) rupture or B) get really big, I largely ignore them to the best of my ability. It's much harder to ignore the AUB.

Any thoughts or experiences would be great...

Sorry for the TMI! :-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: GYN question [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what its worth, my Mirena "ran out" of the hormones 3 1/2 years into it..... after 4 years I finally made it to the doc to get it removed/replaced, but the string was gone, so then had US, got sent to GYN, who managed to yank it out of there by using some very medieval techniques of grabbing my cervix and shoving tools through it in to grab the Mirena....By the time she was done, it was cramping badly, and the cervix was done for the day, so I had to go back 2 weeks later and prep myself with misoprostol to "soften" the cervix, and it still took some effort and shoving and grabbing and torture etc to get the new one in there. And this is without me having any kind of uterine/ovary abnormalities on a post 4 gravida uterus. Just go in with an open mind, and don't expect too much. Definitely don't expect a removal/replacement in 1 appointment.

Best of luck, and I hope they can fix you up. I love my Mirena. I hope I can have a 3rd one when this one runs out!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: GYN question [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

eeeeeeeeeeeeek

that is all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa. That sounds awful! I do have the misoprostal (I didn't the first time around.), and the nurse said that they typically did removal/reinsertions concurrently...so hopefully it won't be that bad :o. But knowing my luck, it probably will :p

According to the US, the mirena is perfectly positioned, and the strings are still there. The issue now is, after the ultrasound, they won't do it at all until I see a surgeon/MD...I guess to decide if they should even try and pull it out or what.

As a side note, if the hormones run out early...what happens? I mean, that seems like a bad PR move on their part, to have early-failing Mirenas :o

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When the hormones run out, it just becomes a regular (physical) IUD. It still prevents pregnancy, which is its primary purpose, I guess. I mostly like it for the hormones though. :-)

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if that were the case. Good to know. I had a sudden moment of panic ;-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms

Quote Reply
Re: GYN question [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
eeeeeeeeeeeeek

that is all

x2. No advice, just hope you get it figured out and that there's not too much pain involved.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure I'vealso noted the reduction of hormone output from my Morena. It's a known phenomenon, described on Wikipedia. It'll be due for replacemnt at my next appointment, early 2016.

I'm curious about the misoprostol you mentioned, presumably that's a script? I unknowingly took nothing prior to the insertion of this thing, and it was an eye opening experience. I've been told removal is easier, but am unsure I'd do insertion again without some solid assurance it would NOT be like last time.

ps, I miss the higher hormone output. I've got acne all the time now and really dislike the cycles of depression.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the cervical softener was a scrip.

As an update, the doc said she was "mildly" concerned in the abrupt change (as opposed to a gradual one shed expect with hormone reduction), but not overly. She is 95% sure that removal of the fibroids and insertion of a new mirena will fix the issue. (Which, much to my happiness :not: has started again... After all of five days break, the bleeding started again.)

I'm scheduled for a hysteroscopy with D&C, mirena removal and replacement, in mid-June. This is five days before vacation, but she assures me that save no sex (sorry, DH), vacation should be unaffected. BUT, any personal experiences you all would like to share would be reassuring ;-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms

Quote Reply