Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What about Barack Obama? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll go on record saying that if Hillary is NOT elected, it won't have anything to do with her gender, but rather with her politics.

She has as good a chance as (likely better than) any Democrat out there.

Frankly that scares me. I'd rather have Bill back.

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USA is the best country in the world in which all men and women are treated the same.

http://www.thepenn.org/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/01/28/41fa969b88507
=====================================
America's racist representatives
No Status Quo

Stephen Catanese

January 28, 2005

For America being the harbinger of freedom and democracy to the world, it is amazing the great influence that blatant -- and some not-so-blatant -- racists still have in American politics.

We can look to recent examples, such as conservative Sen. Zell Miller, a Democrat from Georgia.

In 1964, the aptly named Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed. This bill aimed to prevent discrimination against blacks and females in hiring practices. According to an AP report published in the Aug. 18, 2004 edition of USA Today, Zell Miller, then a Congressional candidate, told the Atlanta Journal Constitution that President Lyndon B. Johnson, the architect of the landmark bill, had "... sold his birthright for a mess of dark pottage."

Yet Miller was still popular enough years later to be the keynote speaker at the Democratic National Convention in 1992 and the Republican National Convention in 2004.

You know, during our era of great freedom, both parties have chosen to center their conventions around racists.

Consider for a moment, if you will, Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd from West Virginia. In 1953, Byrd was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. Six years later, he was elected to the Senate and has been there since. The 87-year-old Byrd is not only currently the longest-serving member of Congress, but was also a recruiter for the Ku Klux Klan in the early 1940s according to the free encyclopedia at www.wikipedia.org.

In 2001, while on "Fox News Sunday," Byrd remarked that he feels no apprehension in using the term "nigger" because he feels it is not race-specific.

Byrd remains in office and is a respected member of the Senate.

Then, of course, there is the notorious Jesse Helms.

Jesse Helms is a former senator from North Carolina. He was elected to office in 1973 and served five terms until his retirement in January 2003. Helms is not only greatly admired in Republican circles (having been voted "Most Admired Conservative" by Conservative Digest in 1980, 1981 and 1983) but is also, some say, an accomplished vocalist.

According to the Aug. 5, 1998 issue of the Chicago Sun Times, Carol Moseley-Braun, the first black woman elected to the Senate, entered the same elevator as Helms in 1993. He began singing "Dixie" and shortly after cackled, "I'm going to sing Dixie until she cries."

Among other things, the Feb. 8, 1981 issue of The New York Times reported that Helms also once wrote, "crime rates and irresponsibility among Negroes are a fact of life which must be faced."

While on "Larry King Live" in 1995, a caller thanked him for helping to "keep down the niggers." Helms responded by giving a salute to the camera and saying, "Well, thank you, I think."

Helms was loved by his constituents and remained in office for 30 years.

And then there are some politicians who have been able to avoid the direct correlation between policy and racist tendencies throughout their careers.

Take for example, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 that expounded upon the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and further outlawed discriminatory practices in voting.

In 1980, a presidential candidate went on record saying such an act was "humiliating to the South" and that individual states should be allowed to choose voting requirements as they see fit. In 1982, when the Voting Rights Act of 1965 came up for renewal, this man opposed its renewal and threatened to veto the bill, according to the non-partisan www.issues2000.org.

A few years later, this man also attempted to allow the segregated Bob Jones University to receive tax exemptions that were always denied to segregated universities. He also stood against welfare, affirmative action and food stamps, cutting funding and access to many of these programs -- programs that were designed to help minorities and the needy.

When asked about the racial impact of these stances, he always bemoaned the inquiries as simply unfounded attacks on his character.

His name was Ronald Reagan.

It is amazing how much influence pro-segregation officials on both sides of the political spectrum have had in recent U.S. history. Reagan -- and these other officials -- will be remembered as great men to their bases.

But I will remember them as bigots.
====================================
Quote Reply
Re: What about Barack Obama? [haris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I were stupid enough to believe this spin, I would think the country were racist too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, before you call me a liberal democratic hack...Hillary is unelectable.

My sister in law works for Condi...Says she's sharp as a tack, incredible mind, but...And you knew this was coming, She's a cold fish and has zero charisma. That would make it tough to get elected.
Quote Reply
Re: What about Barack Obama? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"talks a good game"

That's all you need. Just ask Bush JR.

W couldn't talk his way out of a wet paper bag

Quote | Reply
I believe I have heard every president during my lifetime described as unelectable.

I won't hazard a guess how it will all turn out. I just hope she jumps in.
Quote Reply

Prev Next