Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon Nutrition for Small Women and Sprint Tris
Quote | Reply
Hello all! I have a marathon in 10 days. This is my A race and I want to get under 4 hours.

I signed up for a Sprint Triathlon not realizing that the marathon was on the next weekend! The Sprint is in two days. Should I do it, or will it ruin my marathon qualifying chances? I don't know if I can control myself and keep my effort low.

Also... I weigh 118 pounds. What do you eat for your marathons and when? I am thinking an additional 1000 calories the day before, and then one 100g gel at 10K, 18K, 26K, 33K.

Thank you for your wisdom.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Nutrition for Small Women and Sprint Tris [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you answered your own question on the sprint tri. You said the marathon is your "A" race. You also said you didn't think you could hold back in the sprint tri.

I am roughly the same size as you and I take in one gel every 5mi on the marathon, and drink water they provide on the course. I have been practicing this in my training runs, and it came about by finding a gel every 10k was not enough - I was losing energy by the end of my long runs - by switching I felt much better.

What did you do on your long runs in training? Do that on race day. I would not change what you do on race day from what you did during training.
If you haven't practiced taking gels at a certain frequency, I would not increase that frequency.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Nutrition for Small Women and Sprint Tris [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For nutrition you should practice what you've been doing in training - for reference I'm 5'3" and 115lbs. I always have pizza & rootbeer as a pre-race dinner (every race - sprint tri, ironman, marathon - I always have pizza the night before). Then I have the same thing that I normally eat for breakfast every day - oatmeal w/OJ and maybe a cup of coffee depending on the start time. Then for running races I take 1 GU every 4-5mi (depending on how far they have the water stops spaced out), I drink only water on course, then I also bring salt tabs with me if it's a hot/humid race and take those every 15-30min depending on how I am feeling. But this is also the nutrition plan that I follow in training so I know it works for me. I wouldn't try anything new on race day. As far as doing the sprint tri - I would do it but I'm also a very experienced triathlete (9 years in the sport with the last 3-4years in long distance courses) and a collegiate runner so I know a sprint tri isn't going to wear me down. You know yourself best.

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Nutrition for Small Women and Sprint Tris [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, determination, for the advice. I avoided the sprint tri. Why take a risk?

Unfortunately I did not use proper fuel for any of my long runs! I tried jelly beans for one of my runs, but I found them hard to chew. I know what I'm supposed to do, but fail to execute for various reasons. It's going to be a big unknown.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Nutrition for Small Women and Sprint Tris [f_ahsile04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Elisha for your help. Both you and determination are in agreement about the amounts and frequency, about every 5 miles one gel. Although I am also experienced with triathlon as well, I worried about getting injured so close to the A race, wiping out on the wet roads! I'm a bit of a spaz!

Great to know what you eat pre-race as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did the marathon go? I am about the same size as you, curious what you ended up doing for fueling and how it went? Any great lessons learned?
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Nutrition for Small Women and Sprint Tris [chicklamino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chicklamino! The marathon went extremely well! I BQ'd! I thought there was a 10% chance I would BQ, so I was ecstatic!

I did learn a lot. Here is my complete advice for the 118 pound runner:

1. Day before marathon: In the early morning go for a 3 minute "all out" run and follow it with breakfast. Eat the equivalent of 5 cups of pasta in addition to your regular caloric allotment. You don't need to eat pasta, but you need the equivalent in carbs. Try to eat the bulk of the calories up to and including lunch or early afternoon. Eat a simple smaller dinner with less fibre that digests easily.

This is what I ate, so gross. For breakfast, rice porridge (congee) with a bit of shredded pork. Bagel. Sports drink 8 oz. Lunch: rice vermicelli, sweet drink. Afternoon snack: bagel, beets, sports drink 16 oz. Dinner: nabeyaki udon. Night snack: PowerGel Blasts, sports drink. SO SO GROSS!

2. Three hours before race: eat breakfast of easily digestible carbs. I had a bowl of white rice with soy sauce, bagel, and sports drink.

3. One hour before race: PowerGel Blasts, one cup of water.

4. During race: 45 mins (20mg caffeine Gu), 1:30 (20mg caffeine Gu), 2:15 (40mg caffeine Gu), then at 32K mark (40mg caffeine Gu). Drank water each time at water stations after having Gu to wash them down, so tried to eat Gu as soon as I saw water station coming up. Drank diluted Ultima (electrolytes) at two stations.

I had absolutely no digestive problems! It was heavenly! The lesson learned is that this nutrition program works perfectly for me. I felt really great, had endless energy and was able to hold my pace steady like I was some kind of running machine and had to keep myself from going too fast at the beginning. The run felt very easy and comfortable and I was able to speed up then sprint at the end. I am very grateful to the two women of Slowtwitch who gave me the exact fuelling to succeed! Thank you!

I would not do anything differently the next time around. In fact, I would try to exactly duplicate everything I ate with that timing.

Good luck, Chicklamino! When is your marathon?
Last edited by: karencoutts: May 6, 15 22:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off congratulations on your BQ!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing, always nice to see what works well for people of similar frame.

Next weekend I have the Chattanooga 70.3, but after that going back into run focus with Savannah Rock N Roll Marathon in the Fall.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Nutrition for Small Women and Sprint Tris [chicklamino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck on Chattanooga!

I hope the nutrition plan works with your Savannah R&R!
Quote Reply