Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What I have learned. Do not read if you don't want too hear what I say. [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is nothing like the simple, quiet life. It is a blessing.

Beautiful, Tim.

Thank God for average days.

-------------------------------

LOL That dog has a crazed look in his eye.

Yes, LOL!

-------------------------------

Tibbs, as far as teaching goes ... IMO, the profession needs a few more "non-stereotype" teachers. Too many teachers (IMO) come from the background of the kid that always did their homework on time, studied like crazy, loved homework, etc ... and to be honest, I think those teachers have some trouble engaging and relating to kids that don't fit the same description.

I don't think many teachers realize the variety of backgrounds and home lives that these kids have. Kids deal with some serious stuff in their lives (unfortunately), and it'd be nice for them to have someone that has "been there" (of sorts).

I think I am a pretty good teacher, and I'll say what I feels makes me that way. [1] I was never a big fan of homework, [2] I was never a big fan of listening to lecture and taking notes, [3] I was always pretty smart. So, when I plan things for kids to do ... I first ask myself if it was something I would have "bought into" as a strudent. If it's something I would have thought was "lame", I'll try a different approach-method-media.

To be a good teacher you need [1] enthusiasm for what you teach (sadly missing in some teachers), [2] love for the kids (not just tolerance, but genuine compassion), [3] Understanding of what some of the kids deal with, [4] Organized ... you really do need to have everything in order .... a contingency plan for your contingency plan (this comes with experience, too).

If you have these things, then there's "nuthin' to it, but to do it". Once you get into the teaching program and get into the actual classroom, and get around the kids ... you'll know right off whether this is something you can do and if it's something you'll be willing to do. Last I heard, the average career lifespan of a teacher is 3 years. It ain't for everybody. It's more work than you think, and it's more "parenting" than you could have imaged. Equal parts instructor, facilitator, motivator, and "uncle" (at least for me).

It's as demanding as it is rewarding.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: What I have learned. Do not read if you don't want too hear what I say. [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was in high school we had a history teacher name Mr. LeMaster and the dude was a total commie bastard but he made us look at history in a diffrent light. He went to the other side of history and challenged us to look at things differently. He never forced a view on us he just framed a fact in a true but different way and inspired us to look at everything in a new way.

My ideas of history and the role of history on present and future events are diffrent then a lot of peoples and I owe that too him.

Commie bastard.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: What I have learned. Do not read if you don't want too hear what I say. [GJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeez man, give it a rest. Pretty much every job that involved kids has a background check... I've had one. No one is saying there shouldn't be those checks. P Star's comment was solely her being snide, bitchy, and making a totally unnecesary suggestion that Mr. Tibbs would fail his check.

If she said shit like that to me, I'd tell her "fuck you" to her face every time.

Very fine post, TripleThreat.
Quote Reply

Prev Next