Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HRV for Garmin 920, Fenix3, Epix, & Vivoactive
Quote | Reply
I had always wanted the ability to try taking a heart rate variability reading in the middle of the night while I slept. https://apps.garmin.com/...63-acb5-360f2b1ebaea HRV was born. You don't have to be asleep though, you can take a reading anytime you want.

It's a work in progress.
Last edited by: sharkbait_au: Apr 3, 15 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: HRV for Garmin 920, Fenix3, Epix, & Vivoactive [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two wet-blanket comments: your link was so subtle that I almost missed it! You should edit your post to also include it in full under all of your text.

Also, I'd consider re-branding on account of the fact that HRV is already used extensively for Heart Rate Variability.

Best of luck!

edited because of my density.
Last edited by: YTS: Apr 3, 15 10:55
Quote Reply
Re: HRV for Garmin 920, Fenix3, Epix, & Vivoactive [YTS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point taken. It is called HRV because it is a heart rate variability app.
Last edited by: sharkbait_au: Apr 3, 15 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: HRV for Garmin 920, Fenix3, Epix, & Vivoactive [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm dense. I misread your first post, and thought you said you wanted just heart rate readings while sleeping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did I miss some studies out there on HRV? How does tracking your HRV help you become a better athlete? Keep in mind I ask this as one-time pacemaker rep so I know quite about HRV and the heart but haven't given it much thought in terms of healthy hearts and athletes.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: HRV for Garmin 920, Fenix3, Epix, & Vivoactive [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The story goes you can quantify recovery based on your HRV. Supposedly it correlates to "stress." There's some other info about some meditation/coherence when your HRV and breathing are in sync.

That's how the story goes at least.

Stuff:

http://www.researchgate.net/...ee3c99f165000000.pdf

http://link.springer.com/...0333120-00003#page-1

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/35/4/880.short
Quote Reply
Re: HRV for Garmin 920, Fenix3, Epix, & Vivoactive [Cyronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool :

did you compare results to any apps out there ?

i have been experimenting with ithlete for a while now. They make you inhale through nose, exhale through mouth...do you do such a test ?
Quote Reply
Re: HRV for Garmin 920, Fenix3, Epix, & Vivoactive [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not here to tout HRV, even I'm still questioning it's usefulness. I personally found that mine did not seem to correlate as I would have expected. Questioning how much influence my conscious mind had on the result, I thought that perhaps a reading at night would give a clearer picture of the physical state, hence the app.
Quote Reply
Re: HRV for Garmin 920, Fenix3, Epix, & Vivoactive [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured why reinvent the wheel? HRV in itself is clearly defined. As to comparing with the other apps, I have followed their example with reason. I have attempted to produce output that should hopefully give the majority of users a reference point of 100 as being the goal. I have not done multiple case studies or anything like that. Just n = 1, build it for fun, share it. Yes I have a breathing guide. It is largely there to help remove variables. Not only does it mean you are always breathing the same way when you take the test, I believe it has the added advantage of perhaps focusing your thoughts. Or rather, it may stop you stressing about something else for a minute. So the guide is always there should you choose to use it.
Quote Reply
Re: HRV for Garmin 920, Fenix3, Epix, & Vivoactive [YTS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And of course the app has the added advantage of being able to take a scheduled HR test as well, since the avg HR is output along with the HRV reading.
Last edited by: sharkbait_au: Apr 3, 15 17:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sharkbait_au wrote:
I'm not here to tout HRV, even I'm still questioning it's usefulness.

I was just more curious than anything. Frankly, I wasn't even aware of this connect_IQ thing, however now that I have learned a little bit more I would be interested in capturing the live HR signal as it is recorded electrically and look at it after the fact. The reason is because I would rather make the determination about what is considered a heart beat personally than garmin, also I would like to see raw output from spikes or drops and figure out what its going. Is it a electrical noise, is a PVC, is it a PAC, is it VTACH, SVT, etc. Anyway to capture the actual electrical signal and do anything with it?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can only get the information as defined by the FIT protocol. Basically every 1/4.06 seconds you get a data packet. It contains the live pulse, which is a theoretical value, because it will not drop out instantly when you take the strap off. Then there is the beat event & beat count. The beat count ticks over when a new beat is detected, and the beat event is a 1/1024 second timer which increments by the time between beats. Do with that what you may.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK. Perhaps I should have said, I'm not here to tout the validity of heart rate variability. Although since it's free, technically I'm not touting HRV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess you saw the study from 2014 showing surprisingly good correlation between Hf power from an overnight study and performance. Some think that a 3 minute test is enough obviously but my thoughts are that a sleeping measurement would be better.

On the other hand your Lf and Hf powers will be way off with a sleeping measurement since you will likely go below 10 breaths per minute when sleeping.

You mentioned in an earlier post that your numbers don't track too well.

I have some athletes for gom normalixed Hf power worked very well, I just completed another study with an athlete for whom Lf power made the most sense and Hf power didn't really show anything that made any sense.

Point being that whole some of the app makers seem to think that ln(RMSSD) is the end all and be all but my experience has been that picking a particular HRV measure takes some observation, and tracking.

Cool app though.
Quote Reply
Re: HRV for Garmin 920, Fenix3, Epix, & Vivoactive [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers Kev. Haven't seen that study, just my own thought process. I have just started taking a 1 hour test in the early hours. Your mention of your experiences has given me reason for thought. I might look in to providing other options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should warn I have found a memory leak that I believe is related to the CIQ saveProperty function. So I advise that you exit the program after you have saved a test. Navigating around the program after saving a test will soon result in a crash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great app. thanks for developing it. I've been playing with HRV for over a year without much insight. Self Loops HRV on the iPhone was ok, but your app is simpler and I like the breathing cues. That said my individual HRV did not vary mcuh at all during training, until I did a marathon. Then I saw a ~ 10% drop the day after that took most of the week to rebound. Next time I do an IM build I'll monitor HRV and perhaps see when its time for a rest week.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: HRV for Garmin 920, Fenix3, Epix, & Vivoactive [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NP, glad you like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PS there appear to be problems for Vivoactive users at the moment. Not a lot I can do. My code is stable on other devices, it works on the Vivoactive in the simulator.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love to try this app, sadly cannot download for VivoactiveHR? any fix/suggestions?

many thanks and look forward to using it!
Quote Reply