Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
gorilla cage zip tied to your bars or bolted to a tri rig stem or superbike aerobar is best.

straws are not aero =)
Torhans makes one with an aero straw, that would be my 2nd choice.

Neither's sitting up to take a drink - but Which is worse? (Honest question). I like the straw thing simply because it makes me drink regularly and in small amounts
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BEHOLD, as I do the impossible, years ago, drunk in my garage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt3Bq3UYVlo

And remember if you use a straw solution, you will have to refill it, which will take some using of one hand for a while to pour handups into it. Whereas with a normal cage you just throw the bottle in there.

HOWEVER - there is one scenario where the straw may be a good idea. If you are Kona bound, the descent from Hawi is sometimes so windy people can't take a hand off the bars, and it goes on like that for 30 or 40 minutes.

So, something to keep in mind if you are a KQer

But if you like the straw setups, just cut em shortish, then get lower so you can reach =)

gunsbuns wrote:
jackmott wrote:
gorilla cage zip tied to your bars or bolted to a tri rig stem or superbike aerobar is best.

straws are not aero =)
Torhans makes one with an aero straw, that would be my 2nd choice.

Neither's sitting up to take a drink - but Which is worse? (Honest question). I like the straw thing simply because it makes me drink regularly and in small amounts

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh - that'd take me years to get right. And as for the 'arm stretch' drink - i still can't ride no hands on my roadie, let alone the tri bike.

I see your point on the refill though. Each time I've done it it's been: stop peddling, balance, open hatch of Profile Design bottle, squeeze/release/squeeze/release x 3 or 4, toss empty quickly whilst in toss zone, close hatch, start peddling. Certainly seemed like a good idea at the time but probably not on reflection :)
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [Runnadude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin Edge 1000 will fit on the Torpedo Systems that have the next gen Aero Computer Mount. It is still a bit tight, but works :) Your other option is to mount a Space Saver Computer Mount on top of the bottle...not as aero though.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [EJ_S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EJ_S wrote:
Went to the LBS today after a CL sale went through (cash in my pocket = cycling accessories!)

They carry Tor Hans stuff and there it was right on the shelf, in fact 2 of the Aero Z's...... and this being Texas, they were both black.

I asked that they order in a clear one and they are expecting it by Friday. But this leads into my nex question on this product: does anyone know why they made them in black? aside form the rather nice, clean look of the black, black items tend to get a little hot in the sun - and I do like ice cold beverages to help regulate body temp.

Also, wouldn't one want to see what liquid content is left (via a clear bottle) and to gauge the level of fluids consumed. I know most of this is worked out with the months of training we all do, but nerves get to everyone and being able to look down and say, I have had X amount, I need to consume Y more by mile 18 or else..... or worse, I only brought this plus the refill and I am sucking it down today - I need to slow down.....

Or am I just being too sensitive to the topic?

Hi EJ,

Why do we make them in black? Everyone wants black. We did a small pre-order for the AeroZ and we were blown away that 90% of the pre-orders were for the black units. It will heat faster of course, however that is assuming you will be keeping the fluids in there long enough to do so. 22oz on a hot day will go pretty quickly, then it is very easy to refill. However, you are right that the white unit will allow you to see how much fluid you have remaining. Personal choice but I think you will be very happy with the unit. Our video on how to mount is up on our Facebook page.

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
http://www.torhans.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [skullyrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skullyrush wrote:
I've used the PD AeroDrink, Nathan AP, Pro, PD Aero HC, and now I'm using the Torhans AeroZ. I hated the PD AeroDrink, splashed liquid everywhere and didn't look sexy at all (yes that sort of matters :) ) The Nathan AP Pro was great but the mount was very rickety. The Aero HC was good and I even made a neoprene insulator sleeve for it. I mainly didn't like it because it always had that plastic taste and the bike computer mount placement was terrible. I started using the AeroZ a few weeks ago and love it. Doesn't splash, the bite valve works great and with the magnet pad and magnets at the back of the bottle you can move the straw to a few positions. I always wanted to try the Speedfill A2/Z4 combo but never pulled the trigger on it so I can't attest to how good/bad it is.

Thanks for your kind words! Glad you like it!

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
http://www.torhans.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [Ted Striker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ted Striker wrote:
EJ_S wrote:
Went to the LBS today after a CL sale went through (cash in my pocket = cycling accessories!)

They carry Tor Hans stuff and there it was right on the shelf, in fact 2 of the Aero Z's...... and this being Texas, they were both black.

I asked that they order in a clear one and they are expecting it by Friday. But this leads into my nex question on this product: does anyone know why they made them in black? aside form the rather nice, clean look of the black, black items tend to get a little hot in the sun - and I do like ice cold beverages to help regulate body temp.

Also, wouldn't one want to see what liquid content is left (via a clear bottle) and to gauge the level of fluids consumed. I know most of this is worked out with the months of training we all do, but nerves get to everyone and being able to look down and say, I have had X amount, I need to consume Y more by mile 18 or else..... or worse, I only brought this plus the refill and I am sucking it down today - I need to slow down.....

Or am I just being too sensitive to the topic?

Hi EJ,

Why do we make them in black? Everyone wants black. We did a small pre-order for the AeroZ and we were blown away that 90% of the pre-orders were for the black units. It will heat faster of course, however that is assuming you will be keeping the fluids in there long enough to do so. 22oz on a hot day will go pretty quickly, then it is very easy to refill. However, you are right that the white unit will allow you to see how much fluid you have remaining. Personal choice but I think you will be very happy with the unit. Our video on how to mount is up on our Facebook page.
Amazing that 90% were black!
I did see the video - nice footage. You are right, everyone wants black. My new frame is black (because it is so much cooler than red) and while i think the black would look amazing, I had the LBS order in a clear (personal preference). I did look at the PD and XLab options - their products are very good and will serve their owners well, but I think your design and the stable mount wins, and is why I am going with the AeroZ.

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have often wondered how many people actually stay in aero to get a drink from a bottle, anywhere on the bike. Really no excuses for not having the handling capabilities not to do so. My vote is for IM to use whatever setup can fit a bottle up front and not bounce out (the flimsy plastic ones from the aid stations), HIM it depends on your time on the bike, and anything shorter use something like the Torhans Aero 30. Just ride hard, stay low, and sip when needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [skullyrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the consensus on the Nathan AP? Can't seem to find much by way of reviews.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [sprimack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bottle itself is alright but the mount is terrible. It isn't very sturdy and rattles quite a bit. I used it for about a week and got tired of those compromises.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
I hear ya, had little drops from the regular bta bottle I used which kept the calipers of the brakes stick. Since then I only use water up front.
My 30 came with 2 different rubber covers, one slotted the other closed, don't expect splashes with the closed one.

I had the same experience with the slotted cap...I'm just going to use the closed one and maybe tape one side so that it doesn't fly off when I want to refill.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used PD Aerodrink & XLab torpedo mount. I am now using a PD Aero HC with the the XLab Torpedo mount with PD brackets to make it stiff. I use a PD BTA compuer mount between the hands. The clip on the PD Aero HC holds the bottle in place and no splash like with Aerodrink. The new PD FC(Kienle used in Kona) looks like a good solution

http://www.profile-design.com/product/hydration/fc-hydration-system/
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reviving an old thread that I found during a search.....

Been frustrated for a while with my Profile BTA bottle - with the straw set all the way towards the back of the bottle, it just doesn't match up with my positioning .... I need to really put my head totally down (eyes off the road) to take a drink ... would be much better if the straw was on the opposite end of the bottle.

As such, thinking about switching to the XLab torpedo (where the straw is on the front end of the bottle) ... anyone have any experience using both? How hard / easy is it to take the straw out and put it back in the holder while moving? I really wanted something where I could just put my head down and drink without having to use my hands ........ maybe I'll cut the straw? (then you have drag issues with the straw sitting up in the wind) ..

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [dgreen624] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's very easy to take the straw out, drink, and put it back in. The XLAB Torpedo is a great system.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [dgreen624] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the X-Lab torpedo. I don't like that it's tough to get ALL my drink out of the torpedo.

For IM, unless I hear something that makes me change my mind, I'll just be using a standard bottle in the torpedo cage. I was never one for refilling the torpedo, anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Torhans Aero 30 for two past seasons and now XLAB Torpedo 500 for this season. Quick pros and cons:

Torhans:
+ Very very very easy to drink while maintaining eyes on the road
+ Straw always available, no fiddling around with it
+ You can drink even the last drop from the bottle
- Rattles a bit (even when secured by zip ties to the bottle mount, the velcro was totally useless)
- Straw needs to be secured (buy a small o-ring that fits around the straw inside the aero cover)
- Washing a PITA when the bottle has to be secured by a zip tie (I ended up using only water in the BTA bottle)

XLAB Torpedo:
+ Mounting very solid, no zip ties needed
+ Bottle comes off from the mount easily
+ Computer mount is superb
+ You can keep your head lower than with the Torhans because there's no fixed straw keeping you from pushing your head down
- Drinking requires more effort compared to the Torhans (have to loosen straw, bite valve, straw flopping around)
- Can't drink till empty

The reason I made the switch was the XLAB's computer mount and I've been very happy with it. However, initially it was a bummer how much more difficult it was to take a sip of water (it's still very easy but not as easy). With the Torhans I really liked the fact that I was subconsciously taking a small sip every few minutes and keeping myself hydrated. So my two cents:

* If easy drinking is the priority --> Torhans.
* If seeing the computer all the time without bending your neck --> XLAB.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [AnssiT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the feedback and everything is very fair and true to the point.

The only thing I did want to mention, is that the bite valve can be cut off of the straw and then it will be like the Aero30 which doesn't have a bite valve. We included the bite valve so that you don't need to take in as much air trying to get a drink. A quick sip on the bite valve provides instant drink.

Thanks again and if you don't mind would love to share your comparison with our engineer team! We do take constructive feedback and see how we can improve for the next generation.

Best
Candice

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to find better support than Candice at XLAB.

While I do appreciate her support, I had every single piece of my Torpedo system break or fail except the bolts, straw and bottle. Looking back I really wish I had bought the TriSports BTA (but it didn't exist yet when the first gen Torpedo was released). One of the straps broke, but they moved around a bunch even though it was so tight it pulled my aerobars together. I bought the Profile Design aluminum mounts to replace the straps. The first gen computer mount holder was narrower than a Garmin mount so your Garmin would fall off the side every so often. My 510 looks like it went through a blender at some point, but it still works just fine. XLAB was nice enough to send a wider replacement when it came out, but there's isn't a ride where I don't have to adjust my Garmin/Garmin mount. The bottle cage (the non carbon fiber version) stretched and would launch anything. When a bottle didn't launch, it would at least move forward into your Garmin and knock it around...or off. The 'bite valve' got bitten through after a few uses. Candice offered a replacement. Refilling that bottle on the move isn't great. You might be able to fill it halfway before you start wearing everything else you're putting in. It's way too easy to push the cap/lid all the way through when closing it one handed and then you're really in for a treat. I'll use it for short races where that's all I need for the bike leg. Longer races it's swapped out for normal bottles.

Well darn, it appears the first couple generations of the Torpedo aren't really sold anymore. The 50+ looks like it could have the same problems as before, minus any computer mount stuff.

The new Torpedo Versas look like a much better option that address many of those issues. The aluminum version looks pretty decent for the money assuming the cage doesn't stretch. I wouldn't use a front end system that doesn't accept regular bottles as well, so I'm still inclined to recommend something along the lines of the Torpedo.

I do like the bottle though if you don't need to refill it. The fin holder works pretty well. If you don't want to shell out the cash for the carbon fiber Torpedo Versa or TriSports 2.2, I would recommend grabbing the Profile Design brackets for $10, a good bottle cage with a center opening (Lots of good options. Bontrager RL comes in LOTS of colors, Zefal Spring is an excellent cage for <$10.), the X-Labs bottle for $45 and whatever computer mount you want for ~$40.

I have seen people use retractable cords or magnets for their straws. Pop them up to drink and let the straw go back out of the way. It's a really quick movement and I haven't had any issues taking drinks out of the torpedo.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are any of the torpedo style mounts mountable UNDER the aerobars? In line with the stem or lower, ahead of the top of the head tube. I think that would be more aero, and it would also lower the centre of gravity of the bike.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply and you're welcome for the feedback!

Just an idea: include two straws in the pack - one with and one without the valve. Everyone could try out which option suits their needs and your production costs go up 0.02 cents ;) For the consumer it's a hassle to find a straw that's exactly the right size.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting thought and I'm sure you could but I doubt it's faster. The bottle is shielded by your hands and arms if you mount it below it wouldn't be. That said, I'd love to hear your thoughts on why it might be faster, it's a very interesting idea that I never even thought of.

tridork wrote:
Are any of the torpedo style mounts mountable UNDER the aerobars? In line with the stem or lower, ahead of the top of the head tube. I think that would be more aero, and it would also lower the centre of gravity of the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration systems - which one works best up front [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried a setup on a P3 with the versa plate underneath and it hit the front of the stem - so based on that, it depends on individual setups and more specifically the height of the stem with respect to the extensions.

The Mini Mount style with 4 straps fits in between the bars but you would need spacers to raise the bottle up over the extensions if you have them close together.

The Kompact plate I would think could be mounted underneath as it is shorter, but you won't be able to have a computer mount up front.

For best aerodynamics - You want the bottle to be in line with your forearm so that when cross wind hits it will be hitting just your arms. Frontal drag is dependent on hand positions, but the shape of the Torpedo bottle helps wrap the air around the bottle to avoid as much drag as possible. You can see the aerodynamic design behind the Torpedo bottle here

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply

Prev Next