Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM s30 wheel issue...anyone?
Quote | Reply
I didn't want to drop a lot of money on wheels so I bought a used pair at a local bike stop. Immediately something seemed off with the front wheel and within 120 miles of having them something was really wrong. The mechanic who sold them to me said it was the bearings and replaced them.

I rode today and within 25 miles again I have an issue. It began to spin out of balance but the spokes are fine. Again, think the bearings are bad as the tire will barely spin at all. I found the wheel service manual online for my brand and it makes a very clear point

"Proper hub adjustment is the most critical adjustment you
will need to make to your wheels. It will allow you to achieve
maximum efficiency and performance from the high precision
bearings in your wheels.
Improper preload adjustment caused by over-tightening the
hub end caps will permanently damage the hub bearing once
ridden and will void the warranty."

Warranty is not an issue but if they did over-tighten does this mean I need new hubs as well as bearing or is this wheel basically ruined?

Quote Reply
Re: SRAM s30 wheel issue...anyone? [scottd01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, we experienced the same a few seasons ago. This is the only wheelset we have seen that "featured" 1/8" steel balls in the hubs! From a surface area/load bearing perspective these are woefully under built. SRAM supported them righteously by replacing them with another set. A few weeks of riding and the replacements were toast. They replaced the replacements, with a model higher up their food chain. Again, failure struck. Finally they replaced this, the third set, with an aluminum rimmed Zipp wheelset with a different hub. This all occurred shortly after SRAM and Zipp merged, to put a time frame on it. The rider is three seasons down the road from his last replacement. All is well. It sounds like you just purchased these s30's recently. They haven't been made in a few years. Warranty applies only to the original owner. I have that sinking "uh-oh" feeling...
Quote Reply