Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"I have political capital and I plan on spending it": Ha, Bush tanking in polls
Quote | Reply
Of course, it's nice to see Bush sink in the polls and become a lame duck faster than one could possibly have hoped. (Remember the bravado: "I have political capital and I plan on spending it." Funny, that.) But what I think I am enjoying more is watching conservatives defend this mediocrity of a president and having a harder and harder time doing it. Slowly America is realizing that if you reward mediocrity in the polls, this is what you get. Or maybe I am just being too optimistic.

The New York Times
September 15, 2005
Support for Bush Continues to Drop, Poll Shows
By TODD S. PURDUM and MARJORIE CONNELLY

WASHINGTON, Sept. 14 - A summer of bad news from Iraq, high gasoline prices, economic unease and now the devastation of Hurricane Katrina has left President Bush with overall approval ratings for his job performance and handling of Iraq, foreign policy and the economy at or near the lowest levels of his presidency, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News Poll.

For the first time, just half of Americans approve of Mr. Bush's handling of terrorism, which has been his most consistent strength since he scored 90 percent approval ratings in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks. More than 6 in 10 now say that he does not share their priorities for the country, 10 percentage points worse than on the eve of his re-election last fall, while barely half say he has strong qualities of leadership, about the same as said so at the early low-ebb of his presidency in the summer of 2001.

More Americans now distrust the federal government to do the right thing than at any time since the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. And the poll revealed a sharp racial divide. While half of all respondents disapprove of the way Mr. Bush has handled the aftermath of Katrina, nearly three quarters of blacks do. (Mr. Bush won only about 10 percent of the black vote last year.)

The hurricane, alone, does not appear to have taken any significant toll on Mr. Bush's overall job approval rating, which remains stuck virtually where it has been since early summer. But the findings do suggest that the slow federal response to the hurricane has increased public doubts about the Bush administration's effectiveness. Fifty-six percent of Americans said they were now less confident about the government's ability to respond to a terrorist attack or natural disaster.

Taken together, the numbers suggest that a public that has long seen Mr. Bush as a determined leader, whether it agreed with him or not, has growing doubts about his capacity to deal with pressing problems. More than 6 in 10 said they were uneasy about his ability to make the right decisions about the war in Iraq, and half expressed similar unease about his ability to deal with the problems of the storm's victims.

Mr. Bush's support remained strong among Republicans, conservatives, evangelical Christians and those who said they voted for him last fall. Nearly twice as many people - 63 percent - said the country was "pretty seriously" on the wrong track as those who said it was headed in the right direction, equal to the worst level of Mr. Bush's presidency during a spate of bad news last year.

Over all, 41 percent of respondents approved of Mr. Bush's performance in office, while 53 percent disapproved. Those figures are in line with other national polls conducted in the last week, roughly equal to the worst ratings Mr. Bush has ever received, comparable to Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton's worst ratings, but well above the worst ever posted by the president's father, Jimmy Carter and Richard M. Nixon.

The Times/CBS News Poll was conducted Friday through Tuesday with 1,167 adults, including 877 whites and 211 blacks. The margin of sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points for all respondents and whites, and seven percentage points for blacks. The survey was mostly completed before Mr. Bush said on Tuesday that he accepted responsibility for flaws in the federal response to the hurricane.

Dan Bartlett, Mr. Bush's counselor and chief communications strategist, said the White House was not especially surprised by the poll's findings.

"Obviously, as we have said, with a sharp increase in the cost of gasoline and anxiety about the war, that is obviously reflected in the polls, and then we have a sustained amount of heavy coverage of what has been described as a major failure of government at all levels, it shouldn't surprise people that that would be reflected in the poll numbers on the president, and particularly on terrorism," Mr. Bartlett said.

"The president is going to continue to focus on his responsibilities as not only president but commander in chief, when it comes to making sure we do everything we can to help the people hit by Katrina, as well as continue to conduct the war on terrorism in an aggressive way," he added.

While the poll found that 70 percent said the Federal Emergency Management Agency was too slow in responding to the aftermath of the hurricane, 53 percent said the agency was now doing all it could reasonably be expected to do.

The same did not hold true for the Bush administration itself; 68 percent said it had not yet developed a clear plan for finding housing and jobs for people left homeless by the hurricane. Mr. Bush is to address the nation from New Orleans on Thursday night to elaborate on the government's planned response to the disaster.

Before the storm hit, polls had shown that rising gasoline prices were becoming increasingly worrisome to a majority of Americans, and the hurricane has only worsened that concern. Almost half the public said the economy was deteriorating, the worst that number has been in four years. Fifty-six percent expect the economy to decline as a result of the hurricane, and nearly three-quarters anticipate taxes will rise for the same reason.

The poll also pointed up starkly different attitudes toward Mr. Bush and the government among blacks and whites that were not so much caused by the storm as laid bare by it. While two-thirds of all Americans said Mr. Bush cares at least somewhat about the people left homeless by the hurricane, fewer than one-third of blacks agreed. Two-thirds of blacks said race was a major factor in the government's slow response to the flooding in New Orleans, while an almost identical number of whites said it was not.

Storm victims had to wait for a week for help to arrive, said Allison McKinney, 33, a housewife and former teacher in Fort Bragg, N.C. "I don't think that would happen to any other city, because New Orleans is a poor city." Ms. McKinney, who is black, grew up in New Orleans and was among those who agreed to be interviewed after participating in the poll. "It took Katrina for people to realize that the city had a major impact on the rest of the country. I think it's sad that you would wait for the total devastation of a city to come to that realization."

But Juanita Harrington, 78, a retired Verizon employee and Bush supporter in Larkspur, Colo., said critics of the president "focus everything as if he were a magician and could wave a magic wand and change things."

She added: "The people that were there locally didn't take care of matters there, either. I'm talking about the mayor of New Orleans, I'm talking about the governor, I'm talking about that crazy woman senator from Louisiana - she was an idiot. He may not have succeeded totally, but nobody else did, either."

The poll suggested the cumulative effects of months of bad news from the continuing insurgency in Iraq. Exactly 50 percent of Americans approve of Mr. Bush's handling of terrorism, for example, and while that figure is the single worst ranking since the question was first asked four years ago, it is only slightly worse than it was early this summer. But that is 11 points worse than it was in February, just after the first successful round of elections in Iraq.

The data also suggest that the residual support that has steadily buoyed Mr. Bush in the four years since the Sept. 11 attacks may have reached its limit, for now. Fifty-three percent of Americans still say he has strong qualities of leadership, down 9 percentage points since he was re-elected and essentially equal to his all-time previous low in the summer of 2001, when his presidency seemed becalmed before the attacks.

At the same time, 45 percent of Americans now say Mr. Bush does not have strong leadership qualities, six percentage points more than last fall, and the highest percentage since the Times/CBS poll first asked the question during Mr. Bush's initial campaign in 1999.

Those general impressions now extend across the board in reviews of Mr. Bush's handling of particular issues. Thirty-eight percent of Americans approve of his handling of foreign policy; 35 percent of his handling of the economy; and 36 percent of his handling of the situation in Iraq. All those are at or roughly equal to his all-time lows - and below his all-time highs by double digits.

Some of the pessimism seemed clearly fueled by higher gasoline prices. Nearly two-thirds of those polled said they had cut back on household spending as a result of higher prices, and 8 in 10 said the administration had no plan for keeping prices down, though more than 6 in 10 said the price of gas is something a president can do a lot about.

A majority of the public is willing to pay more in taxes to assist hurricane victims with job training and housing; about 4 in 10 said they would be willing to pay as much as $200 a year more to help out with the storm's aftermath.

Megan Thee and Fred Backus contributed reporting for this article.

* Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company
* Home
* Privacy Policy
* Search
* Corrections
* XML
* Help
* Contact Us
* Work for Us
Last edited by: rundhc: Sep 15, 05 6:24
Quote Reply
Re: "I have political capital and I plan on spending it": Ha, Bush tanking in polls [rundhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"More Americans now distrust the federal government to do the right thing..."

Don't you get it? That's been the plan all along!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: "I have political capital and I plan on spending it": Ha, Bush tanking in polls [rundhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll see your liberal spin and raise you a more honest view of the president and the recent crisis from Peggy Noonan. At least she has the integrity to tell the entire truth. She does in fact have a criticism of the president.

The Storm Before the Balm
Katrina didn't change everything, but it changed a lot.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 12:01 a.m. EDT

If you lived through 9/11 in New York you have nothing worthy of the city, its people, and the event worth saying that has not already been said, or, if you do opinions for a living and are relatively sane, has not been said by you. I will tell you only this. For something like four years 9/11 was for me a bruise in my heart. Someone would refer to it or I'd see a picture in a newspaper and I'd experience it as a pressing on the bruise, and I'd hurt. My feelings were immediately accessible and immediately there.

This year for the first time it is not a bruise but a scar--jagged, less open to remedy, comparatively numb. My heart has healed and is ever altered. There are about 30 million people in what we used to call the tristate area. That's roughly 30 million people who one way or another saw what happened that day, the smoke was that high. I wonder if many of them feel as I do: a scar now, not a bruise. I am not sure of the meaning of that if they do, but I suspect there is meaning.

Life moves. Time for a quick appraisal of how Katrina and its aftermath changed the lay of the presidential land.

George W. Bush still enjoys a bright spot in terms of his foes. Liberal politicians continue to respond to the calamity with delighted anguish. Their critiques are attacks and their attacks are opportunistic. Hillary Clinton, Ted Kennedy and Nancy Pelosi have come across as pols coolly using the suffering of others to club the opposition. As for liberal pundits, some of them have taken on the ways of mere party operatives: Every event exists to be used. Frank Rich, Paul Krugman: if they were dead they'd be spinning in their graves.

What's true in terms of the criticism?

"Katrina changed everything." No it didn't, but it changed a lot. It gave the administration its first indisputable domestic black eye. Roughly half the country has been attacking President Bush for an inadequate response and roughly half the country has been defending him by pointing the finger elsewhere or parsing the federal role in local emergency response. But no one is walking around saying, "Was this his best moment or what? A triumph!" Because no one thinks it was.

But a president can't control everything! True. Federal power is and must be limited. But the White House made two big mistakes. The first was not to see that New Orleans early on was becoming a locus of civil unrest. When an American city descends into lawlessness, and as in this case that lawlessness hampers or prevents the rescue of innocents, you send in the 82nd Airborne. You move your troops. You impose and sustain order. You protect life and property. Then you leave. That's what government is for. It's what Republicans are for. The White House didn't move quickly, and that was the failure from which all failure flowed. The administration was slow to see the size, scope, variations and implications of the disaster because it was not receiving and responding to reliable reports from military staff on the ground. Because they weren't there. When the administration moved, it moved, and well. But it took too long.

Second, lame gazing out the window is mere spin, not action. Soulful looks from the plane are spin. The White House was spinning when it should have been acting. I do not agree with the critique that Mr. Bush should have done a speech with a lot of "emoting." This is the kind of thing said by clever people who think everyone else is dumb. Bill Clinton felt everyone's pain, and that is remembered as a joke. What was Mr. Bush supposed to do, criticize the hurricane and make it feel bad? Say that the existence of bad weather is at odds with the American dream? Hurricanes come, disasters occur; don't talk, move. In this area the administration has gotten way too clever while at the same time becoming stupider.

What real damage has been done to the White House? It got dinged in three areas: competence, the myth of luck, and the ability to inspire fear.

On the competence issue, the Federal Emergency Management Agency is the poster child. It was the assumption of Republicans and others that in this, the age of emergency, the managerial competence and constitutional seriousness of the Bush administration was on the case, on the job and taking care of business. But FEMA was stacked with hacks. This has been absorbed by people and will linger as an issue.

As for the myth of luck, in Washington it comes down to this. When a president is lucky, Congress and the media think he's lucky. It increases his power. When people see his power they think he's powerful. Then something happens--an earthquake, a flood, a strange scandal. The myth of luck disappears. Foes in the media and on the Hill draw blood. They are startled when they see the blood, and go for more. Things become difficult for the administration. This happens one way or another with every presidency. It just happened here.

As for fear, it is important for a White House to inspire a certain amount, and this White House has been rather wickedly good at it. The administration has kept a lot of Republicans in line because they were afraid of the personal anger and flip-switching power of the president and his aides. They will be less afraid now. That's not all bad. In fact, it's good.

Didn't Mr. Bush stop the criticism Tuesday when he said he accepts responsibility? To a degree. Tonight's speech will help, too. But Tuesday's statement was a day late and a buck short. When you say "I accept responsibility," you are slyly complimenting yourself: I'm the kind of fellow who nobly accepts culpability. It's more to the point and more effective to be straight and unvarnished: "The buck stops here. The blame is mine." This has the added benefit of leaving people more likely to say, 'Oh, don't be so tough on yourself," than, "Hey, you can be a lot tougher on yourself, Buddy."

Is the Bush Era over? No, no, no. It has three more years. That's a long time. History turns on a dime. There is much ahead, and potential for progress.

What about reports the President's leadership style has grown detached and self-indulgent? This criticism is a standard one liberals have used about Republican presidents since Eisenhower. What they really mean in this case is that he's grown more peckish and irritable. This, from this week's Time magazine is, to old White House hands at least, not good news. " 'The first time I told him he was wrong, he started yelling at me,' the aide recalled about a session during the first term. 'Then I showed him where he was wrong, and he said, "All right, I understand. Good job." He patted me on the shoulder. I went and had dry heaves in the bathroom.' " One hopes this is hyperbole. If not, it's a bad sign. No president should have that effect on his aides, and no president should be surrounded by dry heavers.

Mr. Bush is famously flinty. I sometimes think of what a friend said of him years ago: There are two misconceptions about Mr. Bush; one is that he's dumb, and the other is that he's sweet. He puts great emphasis on personal loyalty, and personal loyalty is important. But when that preference becomes a governing ethos, you wind up surrounded only by loyalists. His father wound up surrounded by tennis players. This doesn't help you govern.

It's important, five years into a presidency, for a president to remember he's probably no longer fully surrounded by aides who knew him when he was first running for governor and walking around in his shorts practicing speeches. The people who work for him now first saw him as a Time magazine cover. This can be fun--it's a relief to awe someone when the rest of the world is beating your head in--but again, it doesn't help govern.

Mr. Bush probably needed a humbling experience. He just got one. May he absorb, understand, keep the helpful lessons, ignore the unhelpful ones, and waste no time being mad. And may he reach out to some old wise heads on the Democratic side who can give him a read on how his honest critics view him.

Don't all presidents ultimately get criticized for their inadequate personalities? Yes. And the criticism is always fair. All presidents have inadequate personalities, because there is no human personality equal to the demands of the modern presidency.

Can Mr. Bush dig out and move forward? Yes. He will start that process tonight in his speech. Some thought on the future will come from me next week, but here's a teaser:

The Republican Party right now is torn. It has muscle tears you can't see when you look at the body of the party, but they are there, and deepening. In the natural scheme of things the party would fight out its big issues in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Now I suspect the fight will begin sooner. And that's good.

There's much on the table that has to be addressed--immigration, spending, the size of government--including the very nature and purpose of modern conservatism. Getting serious about these questions will be helpful to the country, and helpful to those who begin this overdue heavy lifting. Why shouldn't the president summon forth, ask the help of and highlight the presence of the governors, congressmen and senators who will soon enough be trying to run the party themselves? They're coming anyway. Why not invite them? And work with them. And, as a side benefit, subtly get a little of the heat off your dramatic self?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Of course, it's nice to see Bush sink in the polls and become a lame duck faster than one could possibly have hoped. (Remember the bravado: "I have political capital and I plan on spending it." Funny, that.) But what I think I am enjoying more is watching conservatives defend this mediocrity of a president and having a harder and harder time doing it. Slowly America is realizing that if you reward mediocrity in the polls, this is what you get. Or maybe I am just being too optimistic.
You know this is what makes me the most upset about the left/right, dem/rep thing. It is disturbing to me that you would find enjoyment and pleasure in this situation. The reality is that if the President does well, makes good decisions then our lives are going to follow. It is pathetic that this makes you happy. Comments like this show that it is more about winning (or in your case losing) than what is best for the country. Based on your view of the president and the polls you should be concerned, saddened or upset but not happy. Walking around saying "I told you so" isn't going to do much for you over the next three years.
Quote Reply
Re: "I have political capital and I plan on spending it": Ha, Bush tanking in polls [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'll see your liberal spin and raise you a more honest view of the president and the recent crisis from Peggy Noonan. At least she has the integrity to tell the entire truth. She does in fact have a criticism of the president.
What is dishonest about this poll?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: "I have political capital and I plan on spending it": Ha, Bush tanking in polls [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Comments like this show that it is more about winning (or in your case losing) than what is best for the country. Based on your view of the president and the polls you should be concerned, saddened or upset but not happy. Walking around saying "I told you so" isn't going to do much for you over the next three years.

In this case, the opinion is that winning (or in his case losing) is what is best for the country, at least in the long term.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: "I have political capital and I plan on spending it": Ha, Bush tanking in polls [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good post. I agree completely.

Also, hasn't 5280 noticed that he is spending his political capital? The only approval number Bush really cares about is the one he will get 40 years from now.

That is not to say his sinking numbers are not a problem. The war against the War on Terror is proceding well and threatens to undermine those doing the heavy lifting of protecting this country.

I suppose we could go back to a president who triangulates and tackles tough issues like the length of hospital stays for new mothers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what he said.

Re: "I have political capital and I plan on spending it": Ha, Bush tanking in polls [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that Andrew Sullivan says it best:

The public is now evenly spit on that question - which may reflect the success of the recovery effort since the initial debacle. The CBS poll showed that a week ago, 58 percent disapproved. Today that number is 50 percent. More whites approve than disapprove now (49 to 46 percent), although the damage that Katrina has done to Bush's attempt to win over blacks is probably permanent. Yes, Bush's general numbers are still the lowest of his presidency. But if you can have his record on the Iraq occupation and Katrina response and still get 40 percent approval, you have a pretty solid floor. My own view is that 35 percent of Americans would support him whatever he actually does. That's how polarized we are.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't misconstrue what I am saying. I specifically said that I enjoy seeing conservatives have a harder time defending the mediocre leader of their party. Yes, I like seeing the wheels come off the well-oiled spin machine that is usually busy tearing the democratic party apart. I didn't say, however, that I enjoy seeing people suffer because of Bush's mediocrity.

Beyond that,I don't necessarily agree with your view that if the president succeeds, our lives are better. In some cases, that is true; in others, it is not necessarily the case. If he were more competent dealing with NO, we'd be better off, we can all agree on that. But if he is "successful" in getting his social security reform through, or in passing his next tax cut for the rich, or in starting another baseless war, I don't think we benefit. And in these cases, I don't mind seeing Bush fail. The less of these agendas he can push through, the better. That is basic politics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, but that is not how I read "Of course, it's nice to see Bush sink in the polls and become a lame duck faster than one could possibly have hoped."

When I say successful, I don't mean in getting everything he wants. What I mean is that if he is successful at his job, in general, that means the country does well and our lives are better. I just think we should be more concerned than happy to see him slide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, but that is not how I read "Of course, it's nice to see Bush sink in the polls and become a lame duck faster than one could possibly have hoped."

That's how I read it...

Let me put things a little differently. I don't think the country is necessarily better off when Bush is strong. In fact, I think the opposite can be true. From my point of view, his economic policies don't help most of the country, save the rich. And his unilateralist foreign policy is not particularly helpful, especially when we go it on our own and turn out to be wrong. So would I want an emboldened Bush to keep pushing more of these policies? No. And can his failure be a net positive or neutral thing for the country, I think yes.

Now of course there are obvious exceptions. Would I want him to respond well to national crises, whether it be terrorism or natural disasters, yes. And do I want to see people suffer because of his mistakes, absolutely not.

Bottom line, I don't think Bush is good for this country, and if his bungling burns his capital, all for the better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pledge Allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one nation under God, indivisible,
with Liberty and Justice for all.

Re: "I have political capital and I plan on spending it": Ha, Bush tanking in polls [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm old school:

I pledge allegiance to my Flag,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

Quote Reply