Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Breastfeeding, training and racing weight.
Quote | Reply
Ladies,

What have been your experiences with breastfeeding and training and losing baby weight? Has weight loss and/or training negatively impacted your milk supply? I got pregnant with my second baby a week after my IM and my body fat was at 11%. Now my baby is three months old. I have been training (mostly running and strength workouts) every day for 40-60min for the past two months, but have been careful about restricting my calories. But now that the baby is growing and will be starting solids soon, I am wondering if I can go back to 11% body fat without hindering milk supply? I am 6 lbs away from my pre pregnancy weight but my body fat is at 20%. But if I could get pregnant at 11% BF then doesn't it mean that my body can support breastfeeding at that BF %?
Last edited by: IronLady: Dec 3, 14 16:29
Quote Reply
Re: Breastfeeding, training and racing weight. [IronLady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, I don't think there is one answer to your question. Milk supply is so different from person to person, what one woman can do, another can't. I am one of those that cannot restrict calories at all while nursing. My milk supply is so exact. If I mess with my diet or water intake, it drops pretty quickly, baby is fussy, boobs don't ever get full. I just know my supply has taken a hit. My babies are also on the very slight side - long and skinny. My 3rd baby is now 7 months old, still nursing, finally getting the hang of solids, and I'm dying to lose the baby weight, but I know I can't until he's weaned - which won't be until at least a year. This being baby #3, I know this is how I am, how my milk supply is, but it's still hard...

What I'm trying to say is - if you do start restricting your diet more, or start burning too many calories on a quest to get back to 11% body fat, your milk supply just might take a hit, you may completely dry up, or you may still be a milk machine. You won't know until you start. Your baby may be extra fussy, might not sleep well, etc (all things that go along with teething and growth spurts too) if your supply isn't keeping up. Pay extra close attention to his/her weight gain, demeanor, diaper output, etc. I think you'll know if your supply is dwindling - your baby will tell you.

At 3 months, you're still 3 months to starting solids - that's enough time to figure out if more exercise/calorie restriction will impact your milk. I wouldn't start solids and try to lose baby weight/body fat at the same time - the first couple of months of solids are still mostly breastmilk for nutrition. It is very easy to start solids and overcompensate for a lack of milk (if your not bottle feeding and tracking oz.)- you may not know you if your supply has been affected if you do it all at the same time.

Anyways, that's my n=1. Congrats on baby #2!! Enjoy the squishy!! At 7 months, mine has been crawling for a month now, has 2 teeth and has already pulled himself up to standing. He's growing way too fast!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long are you planning on breast feeding? I would worry about your body fat after that time - besides breast feeding is a great way to lose weight. Cutting calories for *most* women means reduced milk supply. Not all, but most. Is a few more months really going to make a difference to you? It might to your wee one.

Be patient, it will come off.

Good luck!

AP

PS: I got preggo right after a marathon (recovery week likely) at my leanest - that is totally different than sustaining milk production. Body fat for getting pregnant != staying pregnant != producing enough milk.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Breastfeeding, training and racing weight. [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your replies! I am planning on breastfeeding for 12 months, so obviously it is a priority, I was just wondering when I can start seriously getting rid of this fat. Of course I can wait a few more months, but I am just soooooo eager to have my body back! With my first baby, I gained extra 10lbs after labor and was about 25lbs over my pre pregnancy weight. I gained that 10lbs because I was eating like crazy in hopes that I will have more milk supply. I also purposefully moved as little as possible. My milk supply did not increase and I just got fat and out of shape.

This time I decided to eat healthy food whenever I feel hungry and not stuff my face. And I started exercising 5 weeks post partum. So far baby #2 has been gaining more weight than baby #1 and I am 15lbs lighter than last time and fitter and happier. And by the way, I am not one of those people who gets skinny while breastfeeding. I think my body fights for the fat stores really hard while I am breastfeeding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never experienced the magic "breastfeed & watch the fat melt away". It took a while after I stopped breastfeeding for things to go back to a normal-ish state.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As everyone said, it's so variable. Everyone is completely different. I was one of the people who lost tons of weight breast feeding. I'm now the thinnest I have been in a long time and 7 pounds under my pre pregnancy weight (this is with zero effort). I never had trouble with my supply from the weight loss and it was actually really hard to wean from the pump (just finally did it). I can definitely attest that when you wean your appetite is going to plummet. I am never hungry which is very unusual for me.

I guess it comes down to what your priorities are. I wouldn't do anything drastic but you can always attempt a very slow weight loss and increase your consumption if your supply dips. The only bummer is that some people can't increase supply once it's on the downslide.

Congrats on your little one! Greatest gift ever. Take time to really enjoy your time together. Soon your baby will be a basket of energy and not want that precious snuggle time anymore!

Jodi
Quote Reply