Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prolapse post birth
Quote | Reply
Hi there, I would be keen to hear of of anyone's experience with a prolapse post-birth and whether it was possible to return to running (how long and what did you do). I gave birth about 4 weeks ago with my second child. There were few problems with the the natural birth (although it was quite quick) however after 4 days I knew that I had a problem with a prolapse. I have been to see the obstetrician and the physio. The obstetrician says that it is too soon to know if it will be permanent as the body needs oestrogen to repair and as I'm breastfeeding I won't have much of that until I stop - probably at about 6 months. The physio has given me pelvic floor exercises and says to hold off running for about 6 months.

After my first baby I returned to triathlons quite quickly - doing an ironman etc within about 8 months but can see that definitely isn't going to be happening this time. Am keen to get back into it but a bit frustrated about the uncertain outcome and definitely don't want to do myself any (more) long term damage by doing too much too soon. Any experiences, gratefully read!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Prolapse post birth [Crids] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry I've got nothing specific on prolapse, but do understand the frustration of getting back to normal after some complications. It sounds like you're getting good advice from your obs and physio. Don't try to rush the healing or returning to routine. Is it possible to look into alternate modes of exercise that won't overly stress the pelvic floor?

When you're in the fray of new babyhood it's great to have an escape, and for most of us that is getting out for a ride or run. If you can find an alternative until you're healed up you'll help your game over the long term. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a healthy baby first!

I would imagine returning to running/exercise is going to be dependent on the grade of the prolapse and if it continues to progress.
Do you know if it is a uterine or rectal prolapse, I am assuming uterine?
If it has not been broached, I would talk with your physio/OB about potentially getting a pessary no as a support for the prolapse. This will also potentially make your pelvic floor strengthening exercises more effective.
Additionally, I would avoid any valsalva - straining without blowing out your mouth at the same time. Increasing abdominal pressure over and over could (again potentially) increase the severity of the prolapse.

More things to think about: ensure that your pelvis is in proper alignment; work with your physio on overall regional exercises you can do safely that may help (low abdominal, lateral hips, etc); work on 'with baby' posture: think feeding postures, how you carry the little one, etc all to minimize stress on your body; I would go so far as to ask for the list of foods that is irritating to the bladder (i can get this to you if you can't get it) - I would work on the premise that you need to reduce as much stress and inflammation on your body and especially in your pelvis as possible. I mentioned to someone yesterday...park if you can near the cart return at a store - quickly grab a cart and put the baby carrier right in the cart instead of walking all the way to the store with it. Or alternatively, immediately into a stroller.

Without seeing you personally I think gentle low impact exercise: walking, pool stuff, appropriate resistance exercises, seated cycling (at a gym); if your physio hasn't done an internal exam to see what your musculature is doing when you are working on a 'kegel', I would highly encourage this. This information would inform what strengthening might be best for you.

Most of all, be kind to yourself! If you have the time, keep us posted!

Quote | Reply
This post is almost 4 years old. Kind of dealing with the same issue potentially.

Did your prolapse resolve? Which prolapse was it? How severity? What were your symptoms? Did physio help? We're you able to get back into running/triathlons? Any online resources? Any other comments/advice?
Quote Reply