Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pregnancy Help
Quote | Reply
I'm 10 weeks pregnant. Very exciting time! It was an absolute surprise, but we are happy. I had some symptoms before IMWisco, but took two tests and they were both negative. After I came back from the race, I noticed I wasn't recovering as I should. So, I took another test and that one was a big old positive. Dr said everything is fine.

My issue is that for the past three weeks (since the race) I can be uncomfortable. I need to eat about every 30 minutes or I get lightheaded and nauseous. I can't run more than about 5 miles without feeling like my muscles are on fire. During those 5 miles, I have to bring sports drink or the same lightheaded feeling comes. I have fainted twice. Not for long, but definitely hit the deck. Also, if I get up too fast, I get very dizzy and loose my sight for a second.

I am thinking that this is all blood sugar and pressure related. My next dr appointment is on Monday. But, I'm feeling a little nervous about these symptoms. We weren't planning on trying to get pregnant until next year so I didn't have time to do the usual research I like before embarking on a new path. Is this stuff normal? What can I do to help? I will definitely talk more to my dr about it. I thought also asking for other advice would be helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy Help [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would stop running until you have seen your doctor. You don't want to risk falling if you faint while running. Sounds to me like low blood pressure but remember that your body goes through a lot of changes those first few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even though you haven't changed size/shape yet, pregnancy can still kick your butt.

I'd stop running for now too - fainting is dangerous for you. Keep eating/drinking often & accept that your life WILL change from here out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lightheadedness is normal, fainting sounds a bit more extreme. Definitely take it easy and I'd curtail the running til you've seen your doc and things have settled down. You have a TON of changes going on internally, not to mention IM recovery, so I would err on the side of caution. My first trimester was terrible and I wasn't able to exercise much at all until weeks 12-14, when my body settled into the second trimester. Then I was able to run for the next 20 weeks or so. Everyone is different, but do not underestimate all of the needs your body has right now just to grow a whole new organ and human!

http://www.whattoexpect.com/...ions/faintness.aspx#
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What everyone else has said. Does your BP usually run low? I usually have issues with low BP early in pregnancy (I normally run 80s-90s/50s-60s) that result in dizziness and can get to the near fainting point. I'm use to it, so I never actually fainted from it.

Be patient and listen to your body, which is easier said than done. Last pregnancy, no real exercise issues and rode on the trainer until the day before I was induced. This pregnancy kicked my butt, and I haven't been up for exercise for most of it. On the upside, a week postpartum and I'm itching to get back on the bike and run - just waiting to be cleared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What everyone else said. It sounds like a low blood pressure issue, especially if you run a low-ish BP anyways. Its common. You should drink a lot (water that is :-), and keep workouts easy. You should start feeling much better in your 2nd trimester.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy Help [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the advice, everyone! I had visions of me exercising without an issues all during the pregnancy. Then when I couldn't even stand without feeling sick, it had me a little worried. Nice to know things will get better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't run during pregnancy but I walked a lot and swam or aqua jogged most days. There were times that I did not feel well enough to exercise and a good nap on the couch was the best answer. I recall days when my uterus ached so much I could barely walk or swimming made me nauseated. Try not to pressure yourself and understand that this is a short time during your life, that your pregnancy is most important, that there is no competition for who gets the most exercise during pregnancy ,and that you will get back to exercise soon enough. This is a phase in your life that is short lived and wonderful. Enjoy the changes and go for those naps!
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy Help [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailbait wrote:
Try not to pressure yourself and understand that this is a short time during your life, that your pregnancy is most important, that there is no competition for who gets the most exercise during pregnancy ,and that you will get back to exercise soon enough.

Thank you for this. I've been pretty focused on long distance tri's for a long time now, so this is a big switch for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With all 3 of my pregnancies if I wasn't eating I was sick. Baby #3 was the worst though. I always had food with me - purse, car, stroller - you name it. This last pregnancy, I had just finished losing the weight from baby #2, so I was dieting when I got pregnant - and instantly went into if I don't eat I'm going to throw up mode. It is so counter-intuitive to eat when your nauseous! I gained 15 lbs first trimester since I went from diet mode to always eating mode!

Enjoy the pregnancy. Take it easy when you need to.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During pregnancy you have to take the decision of your own which activities make you feel which doesn't and do the same. My wife loves to jogging every morning with our elder son but at her second issue doctor advice her not to go for jogging but when I bought a jogging stroller from Booyah Strollers online store she feels comfortable by jogging also there is a solution for to take our older son with here inside the stroller. So you have to make sure anything suits you is better for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clairec2007 wrote:
trailbait wrote:
Try not to pressure yourself and understand that this is a short time during your life, that your pregnancy is most important, that there is no competition for who gets the most exercise during pregnancy ,and that you will get back to exercise soon enough.

Thank you for this. I've been pretty focused on long distance tri's for a long time now, so this is a big switch for me.

This is sage advice.
Enjoy it. I will say that I had issues with lower BP when I was pregnant with #3. The increase in progesterone right now is likely what is making you feel like you are running through mud. That will even out as the placenta is formed and starts doing its job. Until then, rest, eat well and congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I am actually now 9 wks pregnant with my second and the pregnancy symptoms are pretty bad this time around. I feel like I have had the flu for 3 wks straight.

At this point I am running 3 miles a day whenever i have enough energy for it. Its hard taking a step back to evaluate when it is better to just sit back and relax vs just being lazy. Anyhow I am getting better at it but as u said it definitely is a mindset change. As others have said it really is a short time and I will tell u one of my biggest regrets from my first pregnancy is not napping more, so take some naps.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, those are common pregnancy symptoms, especially for the one, who is involved in extra activity. Calm down for a while, let your body get used to the new state... And then go back to your normal life... in a YEAR ;-)
Quote Reply