Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road trip - Route 66?
Quote | Reply
My best friend has a side business buying/flipping classic sports cars. He's purchasing a low mileage early 90's Acura NSX in L.A. Normally he has cars shipped around the USA to his home just outside Philadelphia in N.J. This time he has asked me if we should do a road trip and drive the car home. We almost did this trip together about five years ago when he was looking at a 1960 Triumph TR3. Obviously it would be a lot more romantic doing the trip in the TR3 but the NSX is far more practical. We'll each take a work week off plus have the two weekends so will have lots of time over nine days. We will probably leave in a couple of weeks.

I'm thrilled to bits about this and off the top of my head feel that historic Route 66 for a good part of the trip is the way to go to make this road trip the most interesting. Just wondering who is familiar with Route 66 and any suggestions of must see sites along the way.

Is Route 66 the way to go or are there other suggestions for a road trip across the USA from L.A. to Philly?
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip - Route 66? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peggy Sue's Diner.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip - Route 66? [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll check it out. Gotta do some more research.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you can get your kicks there.
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip - Route 66? [vibrolux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We really need an early model Corvette to do it properly. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw1tiNGQ4wI
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Sep 28, 14 20:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i wouldn't do it for any significant distance, I can only take so many run down hotels and diners. We stayed at the Blue Swallow Hotel in Tucamcari, NM and it was classic R66 and pretty cool. If you drive through central Kansas the Hutchinson space museum is incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have drove approx. 50% of Rte 66.

From Amarillo, TX to Baxter Springs, KS a few years back.

And just finished earlier this year Flagstaff, AZ to Amarillo, TX

Two MUST have books:

http://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/...01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We loved the drive and exploration. So many places to see and stop. Many you just happen upon.
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Sep 29, 14 12:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
early 90's now classifies as 'classic' - - shit am I old.
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip - Route 66? [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:
i wouldn't do it for any significant distance, I can only take so many run down hotels and diners. We stayed at the Blue Swallow Hotel in Tucamcari, NM and it was classic R66 and pretty cool. If you drive through central Kansas the Hutchinson space museum is incredible.

We also recently at the Blue Swallow Hotel in Tucamcari, NM. Plus the Wigmam Motel (Tepees) in Holbrook, AZ and the LaPodesta Hotel (really nice!!!) in Winslow, AZ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know anything about Rte 66, but am kinda curious how you plan to go east? Frankly, I wouldn't go all the way to Chicago and try to cut east as you will be on some pretty boring roads through Michigan/Ohio/ NY. You could grab route 40 out of St. Louis - I believe that was the only route to go completely across country prior to the interstate system. I have driven sections of it, and while there are some neat historic towns on the route, the road again is not a driver's road.
If at all possible, try to find a way to incorporate either route 250 (WV,VA) or Rte 33 in VA. Both will give you awesome driving over the Shenandoah mountains (serious blind decreasing radius 15-20 mph switchbacks). Both will take you to an entrance of Shenandoah National Park, and you could take skyline North through there at peak fall colour. You could then easily click up 81 to PA, and find some nice back road there to finish out your trip.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip - Route 66? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's sort of the current plan as you suggest - hit St. Louis on rte 66 ad then head across east from then. My buddy held different area sales jobs in his company in the thirty years he's been with them and knows the USA better than anybody I know so I'm trusting it to him but offering input/suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip - Route 66? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"early 90's now classifies as 'classic' - - shit am I old."

I'm with you there. I tend to think of classics as 50's, 60's and up to the mid 70's in the era before emissions and the big fugly bumpers. My 1980 Triumph TR8 is still a "classic" IMHO because of the low production volume, end of the marque, V8 engine and mostly because I own three. :-)

But I will concur that the first generation Acura NSX is an early 90's future classic. Honda designed it to take on the Magnum PI Ferrari 308/328/348 at half the price. Its a better car in every way except for the styling. That's the one area that nobody can beat the Italians. !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friend has two NSX's that he bought from $18 to 20k. What a steal. I covet those things.

Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
But I will concur that the first generation Acura NSX is an early 90's future classic. Honda designed it to take on the Magnum PI Ferrari 308/328/348 at half the price. Its a better car in every way except for the styling. That's the one area that nobody can beat the Italians. !!!
Every time I think I want to sell, I take a look at my '78 308 GTB and change my mind. The GTB carries the lines better than the GTS, IMO. Personally wouldn't put the 348 in the same class as the 308/328 in terms of styling.
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip - Route 66? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Every time I think I want to sell, I take a look at my '78 308 GTB and change my mind. "

I just love the 308 and they're "cheap" enough - I see them selling for around $40 K, which is a great price to own a genuine Ferrari. But I hear the annual maintnenace fees are what would scare many people such as myself away, especially when they feel they can only almost afford the purchase price of the car. One guy I knew who had one used to jokingly say that he was afraid to drive his 308 and further than he could walk home from. :-)

But then I've always been into British cars, so I shouldn't talk. LOL! But that's why I like my TR8's - British car with an American derived V8 engine that can give tons of power if you tweek it. Fugly when parked next to a 308 however, despite both cars having the wedge front and pop up lights.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Drove one of these back in high school that my dad bought for $1500.
All 5 kids beat the hell out it. It was geared so low and only got about 13
miles/gal. Drove like a knuckleball over 40MPH, but was fun cruising
around with the doors open yelling at friends and girls.
I see they're now a collectable and I'd love to have ours back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   Brings to mind Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley". In this case you'd be the poodle. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are planning to start a road trip, you may need to choose a good vehicle to start this trip. When you want to charge battery in this trip, you may need to take a charge with you. 400w power inverter is the tool for me to charge camera battery, shaver, laptop and phone when travel around the city. The reason for me to use this tool is it soft and convenient to take away. Simply to connect it with car cigarette lighter charger outlet, then you can charge any tool you want. Maybe you can search bestekmall on Google to know more about this charger. Hope this point is useful to you. Best regards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you did this trip now, would you be able to keep your mouth shut about the Donald long enough to survive the trip?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Big Texan in Amarillo still makes a damn good steak. Was there this spring driving a moving van across the country. I did not take much of the actual rt. 66. It is quite chopped up. Plus moving vans aren't sports cars. That's being said. It's has got to include the most boring sections of Arizona and New Mexico available. High plains and less interesting than other routes.
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip - Route 66? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
If you did this trip now, would you be able to keep your mouth shut about the Donald long enough to survive the trip?
No, he would still have time to start his obligatory one anti-trump thread per day.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip - Route 66? [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's one thing to start shit on the ol' interwebs, it's entirely another in person!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just drove Los Angeles to Virginia with the family. We have family in Yellowstone and Iowa so that sort of set our route, but I would say the driving highlights were Rt-12 in Utah and Beartooth Pass. Both are on the list of All-American Roads. Based on what I know of Rt-66, it has that great nostalgia feel to it, but there are alternative routes that are better roads. You might be better of trying to string together as many All-American Roads as you can. So hit Vegas to drive the Strip, over to Rt-12, San Jaun Skyway and Trail Ridge Road. Then you can try to head down to 66 if you really feel the need.
Quote Reply