Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting National Geographc article from last October
Quote | Reply
http://205.188.130.53/ngm/0410/feature5/

Jago
"Slow... but mellow"
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting National Geographc article from last October [jago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW. That was prophetic.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting National Geographc article from last October [jago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember that article. Mother nature took control and did damage beyond man's comprehension.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my...Guess the writing was on the wall after all. Thanks for posting that.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting National Geographc article from last October [TriPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow. it's all there.

i like the quote where the guy says that we'll go to war overseas to protect our oil there, but we don't do anything to help our infrastructure here at home....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fascinating and uncanny.

i also recommend The Control of Nature by John McPhee:

http://www.amazon.com/...s=books&n=507846

Quote | Reply
New Orleans sits on land that should have never been built upon. It was a disaster waiting to happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting National Geographc article from last October [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
New Orleans sits on land that should have never been built upon. It was a disaster waiting to happen.
The question is, will they rebuild the same city on the same spot? I believe they shouldn't but they will, then people will expect them to make it 'Cat 5 proof' and be pissed off in a few decades when the same thing happens. It just sounds like the worst possible location for a city.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting National Geographc article from last October [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]New Orleans sits on land that should have never been built upon. It was a disaster waiting to happen.[/reply]

Gosh Brian; You are smart!
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting National Geographc article from last October [sevans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't just erase and start over. You learn from your mistakes, and unfortunately they learned it the hard way. Alot of money is going to be needed to fix the levees, and hopefully it happens before another hurricane comes along.

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting National Geographc article from last October [sevans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes...Unfortunately they'll build in the same location. Hopefully I'll be long gone before another storm does the same thing to the city.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yes...Unfortunately they'll build in the same location. Hopefully I'll be long gone before another storm does the same thing to the city.
Me, me, me. "As long as it doesn't impact me, I don't give a rat's ass". Nice compassion.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting National Geographc article from last October [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would've left the city. Would you have stayed for last call?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" It just sounds like the worst possible location for a city."

Easy to say now, but remember, when New Orleans was founded, it was on the Mississippi River, and the Gulf Coast, back when the only means of transportation of goods was by boat, or horse and buggy. Fact is, New Orleans was originally built in one of the best locations at the time.

Not sure if rebuilding in the same place will make sense, I guess it will depend on the true extent of the damage. I am sure much of the city will be bulldozed and never rebuilt, but I would think old NO, the Quarter, and much of downtown are worth rebuilding. It still remains a vital port where much or our nations goods are shipped in and out of.

Jago
"Slow... but mellow"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, when New Orleans was initially built the French Quarter was one of the first areas developed. The French Quarter is above sea level and didn't flood. As time went on city planners allowed development in low lying areas.

I live next to a county planner and discussed this with him last night. Our codes do not allow any building to be placed in flood plains. New Orleans allowed it. It's water under the bridge but when you build in a flood plain expect floods to happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"...I would think old NO, the Quarter, and much of downtown are worth rebuilding. It still remains a vital port where much or our nations goods are shipped in and out of.
But if they rebuild it is it still 'old' New Orleans?
Quote Reply