Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maybe the suffering in NO could have been diminished if ...
Quote | Reply
The National Guard weren't bogged down in Iraq and if it could do what it was designed to do locally.

And perhaps the situation could have been dealt with better if Bush had been back in Washington days earlier, when we all knew that Katrina had catastrophic potential, figuring out a lightning response.

It seems unforegiveable that we were caught that flat-footed, that we don't have enough troops to keep the peace (sound like Bagdhad, right?), or the equipment/goods to help people.

I am not saying that this is Bush's fault. But I am not terribly impressed with how this is being handled. My guess is that if someone energetic, like Guiliani, were handing this, it would be done differently.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe the suffering in NO could have been diminished if ... [rundhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if they didn't build a city below the water level, if people would have listened and got out, if the national guard all prayed to stop hurricanes natural paths blah blah blah.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe the suffering in NO could have been diminished if ... [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh and the dumbasses are shooting at relief helicopters and authority. W should have a decent education system in place. Helicopter--good. His fault again.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe the suffering in NO could have been diminished if ... [rundhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please explain how LA having 11,000 National Guard troops instead of 8,000 would have changed anything.

Please explain how Bush being in Washington would change anything.

If LA had 1,000,000 National Guard troops available, would there be any less water in New Orleans?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Explain to me what they could have done to hold back this hurricane.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe the suffering in NO could have been diminished if ... [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there was a real presence of guards there, there wouldn't be the lawlessness that is there, there would be a better rescue effort, and there wouldn't be people dying in chaos.

You should read this article to get a feel for what a meaningful troop presence could do.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050901/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina_23

I am not saying that politicians could have minimized the deaths from the hurricaine itself. But I am saying that more resources and competence could get rid of an anarchic situation that should never exist.

As I said, put Guiliani in charge and let him run the show and it will go more smoothely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read your post and there is not a single reference to problems caused by the lack of an available pool of National Guardsmen to be called up. It doesn't even hint that all available troops have even been mobilized yet.

Want to try again?

No argument that Guiliani would be a great guy to lead, but he is not the mayor of New Orleans.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe the suffering in NO could have been diminished if ... [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The point of the article was to show what's going on in NO -- kinds of things that should not be happening in a country with the resources we have. It is inexcusable that, by Thursday, they still haven't even secured the Super Dome, which is the main refugee site. Nor have they gotten medical care there, and people are just being left to die. Bad planning.

A separate issue is the dearth of National Guards to help out. You are certainly right that a fully-staffed national guard is probably not enough (that is why I am separately saying that we should have been fastracking some help). But, regardless, the governors have been complaining about being short-staffed for a while, and the administration has done nothing to resolve the problem because it needs to run its war with its backdoor draft.

It will be interesting to see how Bush looks in the polls in a few weeks with a rising death toll in Iraq, with gas going through the roof, and with the crisis in the Gulf region probably going from bad to worse.

http://www.lovelandfyi.com/opinion-story.asp?ID=1930

Strained Guard crucial to relief

This summer, the nation’s governors expressed concerns that prolonged deployment of National Guard soldiers to Iraq has eaten away at their states’ ability to respond to emergencies.

At the National Governors Association meeting in July participants said the huge federal demand for National Guard troops puts them at a disadvantage in cases of domestic civil unrest or natural disasters, such as hurricanes, tornadoes or floods.

Some 7,500 National Guard troops are aiding in disaster relief efforts along the U.S. Gulf Coast in the wake of the devastating Hurricane Katrina.

In Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Florida, according to Reuters, airmen and soldiers are policing, helping out at shelters and trying to restore power to areas where electricity was knocked out by the storm.

But another 6,000 National Guardsmen from Louisiana and Mississippi who might have been part of that effort are serving in Iraq.

About 40 percent of Mississippi’s National Guard force, 35 percent of Louisiana’s and 23 percent of Alabama’s are deployed abroad.

But even with thousands of National Guard troops from the four states most affected by the hurricane stationed overseas, National Guard officials say there are adequate numbers of troops mobilized to handle the aftermath of Katrina.

Hurricane Katrina has ravaged the U.S. Gulf Coast — thousands homeless and hundreds dead, and the mayor of New Orleans has said people might not be allowed back to the city for months. Looters have taken to ransacking stores, stealing goods, clothing and guns.

National Guardsmen who are trained to help both those displaced by the devastation and provide law and order are crucial in a situation like this.

The Gulf Coast is lucky there are enough National Guard forces on hand to help.

Let’s hope that when a wildfire or tornado hits a Western state with a much smaller National Guard force that we will be as lucky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Homeland Security has 320,000 National Guard troops and their equipment to draw from. Your assertion that the Afghanistan/Iraq wars left them inadequate numbers to respond is wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe the suffering in NO could have been diminished if ... [Al P Duez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what exactly are they doing with these troops? Part of my assertion is that they are not getting in there nearly as fast as they need to. The evidence there is indisuptable. Unless of course you think leaving people to die on chaise lounges at the Super Dome, the main refugee site, is sufficient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The commander in chief of the LA national guard is the governor of LA. If anyone should be blamed for lack of leadership it should be her. Saw her on TV today crying that the situation was out of control. Not exactly words to inspire the troops.
Quote Reply