Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

does anybody else hate doing mechanical?
Quote | Reply
I just put a speed/cadence sensor on my bike, a job that should have taken 15 minutes tops. An hour and fifteen later, I'm in a sweat, covered with chain grease, and cursing zip ties and their stupid fiddly ways.

Every time I get near the bike with an allen key something goes amiss -- cables too short to work with a new stem, incorrect diameters, screws rolled under sofas (I've got to do it in my living room), saddle clamps impossible to tweak unless you've got three hands, on and on and on.

I should just be a girl and save it all up for my LBS, but I'm too impatient. Does anybody actually get the zen of bike repair and enjoy it?
Quote Reply
Re: does anybody else hate doing mechanical? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
I just put a speed/cadence sensor on my bike, a job that should have taken 15 minutes tops. An hour and fifteen later, I'm in a sweat, covered with chain grease, and cursing zip ties and their stupid fiddly ways.

Every time I get near the bike with an allen key something goes amiss -- cables too short to work with a new stem, incorrect diameters, screws rolled under sofas (I've got to do it in my living room), saddle clamps impossible to tweak unless you've got three hands, on and on and on.

I should just be a girl and save it all up for my LBS, but I'm too impatient. Does anybody actually get the zen of bike repair and enjoy it?

Yes and yes to your questions. I do not like to pay people to do things that I can or at least should attempt to do. The thought of being on the road with a problem and having to rely on others is bothersome to me.
I should add that I only hate it because my hands get dirty.

Last edited by: travelmama: Jul 18, 14 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your troubles - working on mechanical issues can be exasperating sometimes.

I do love to work on my bike. I've been doing it for ages bc when I was racing road/track/crits, I couldn't wait on the LBS to fix it so I just started to read up on things. Now, when I have an issue, I do take some time to diagnose problem by reading, and finding pics/video on Internet before I tackle the job.

What works best for me is to understand the problem, read any instructions or manual that comes with the part, gather up everything I need, and then tackle the problem. It always takes me much longer if I don't take the time to figure out what I am doing before I start.

It is kind of like tackling a complicated recipe - you need to do a little planning first - it starts with reading the recipe, getting the ingredients and tools ready and then re-reading the recipe for timing the steps.

Before you tackle your next project, ask questions here! Someone usually chimes in with something helpful. If you ride alot, it helps to be somewhat handy with the minor mechanical details. And you did get a nice sense of accomplishment with a job well done!

Good luck with your next project - and at least you don't have a cat or two who try to help with your bike projects. My kitties favorite past time is to steal something when I am not looking and then I am missing a key part! They LOVE zip ties!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learning how to work on your bike - even if it's just the basics can be a race-saver. If you are not comfortable with things, I would try taking a class or asking if the shop will let you watch some of the repairs. Some things do require three hands and having a quality stand and a place to work makes things a lot smoother.

Wrong diameters for things aren't just you - it's a common complaint from my husband and he even measures with calipers to ensure the right size!

I used to hate doing any remain work and still have my husband do most of it. But I will watch and try things to ensure that I understand what's going on. The more you do and participate the better it gets. It does take time.

Vale!
Tracy T
http://www.thelencoaching.com
Some light reading::: http://www.tracythelen.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

Yes - I agree. I don't like the aggravation that comes with it. For me - Money is Time. Spending the money to have someone else do it - gives me time back in my life for stuff I want to do. Plus, it always looks/functions better when the LBS does it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love doing it. Pick up a copy of Zinn & the art of Road Bike Maintenance, some gloves (yes I'll put on latex gloves if doing messy jobs) and get some decent tools. I can't tell you how often it's saved my bacon, plus I like understanding how things work. To be fair, it's my nature, so I'm even the same re: body/anatomy/etc. I am naturally curious and like fiddling with toys & tools.

A good set of allan keys (not a multi tool) - with decent handles and decent length (for leverage/force) - will go a long way. $20 at an auto repair store.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: does anybody else hate doing mechanical? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the latex gloves.

I can change cassettes and adjust brakes. Everything else goes to the bike shop. But I have a backup bike to ride and I bought the Trek Care plan on both my bikes, so it (basic maintenance, tune ups, repairs) doesn't cost me anything (except some beer) and I don't have to be w/o a bike.

I probably need to learn a bit about adjusting derailleur though. I do get a feeling of satisfaction after I've done something to my bike that I considered going to a shop for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a bigger woman that I.
Apparently the minority here - I don't even want to put a BTA water bottle on if I can get my bike shop to do it! ;)
I also don't like getting my hands dirty.

I have changed a tire once or twice before.
Just being honest - I really hate doing that stuff.

Maybe if I had more time, I would find it interesting.
But at the moment, I'm just fighting to get a solid workout in.
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a blue job. You need a man in your life.

Actually my wife is a very good bike mechanic. But I guess that's what a gal gets when she grows up as a tomboy with brothers. Nice thing for me is that if I put it off long enough she'll do it herself. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: does anybody else hate doing mechanical? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got round this by both my kids getting jobs in bike shops in high school then over summer vacations.

highly recommended. they are pretty good mechanics now, and I can trade for cooking for them, which I enjoy. (they don't live at home any more)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely abhor it. I've learned all the stuff I'd need to do, but have my husband do it for me 99% of the time.

We also stock up on cheap medical gloves for keeping grease off the hands.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hate to mess with anything on my bike, but I think I'm going to start doing more than the standard lubing/cleaning of chain and bike. My mechanic really ticked me off recently (nothing to do with any work on my bike), just had a discussion with shop owner today, and was told that mechanic thought I was mad at hime, she was glad as she thought he needed to be put in his proper place/ have someone stand up to him.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most if the time I enjoy it. But I'm a knicker dragged for a profession so go figure. There are those times it's frustrating and that's ok... step back have a drink and go back to it later. Never rush... EVER and know your beer limitations :-)

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: does anybody else hate doing mechanical? [space.monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
space.monkey wrote:
You're a bigger woman that I.
Apparently the minority here - I don't even want to put a BTA water bottle on if I can get my bike shop to do it! ;)
I also don't like getting my hands dirty.

I have changed a tire once or twice before.
Just being honest - I really hate doing that stuff.

Maybe if I had more time, I would find it interesting.
But at the moment, I'm just fighting to get a solid workout in.
:)

I am technically illiterate. I got a spare wheel to use on the trainer, and I hate swapping it out, I can never get it on right. I clean my bike and lube the chain and other moving parts as I was taught by my fabulous and very patient bike mechanic, and I can change a tire, but it takes me a while and is probably amusing to watch as I spin the tire round and round trying to get that last little piece of tube tucked in and the tire back on correctly. I have to admit that I tend to mentally "shut down" about anything technical - I'm not sure if it's because I have no aptitude or just a bad attitude about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mind doing it and my frustration comes from not enough knowledge about what to do, not unwillingness. I'm fine with cleaning, changing tires, cassettes, adjusting brakes etc, but if my bike starts making odd noises or doing something funny I hate the fact that I often don't really know where to start with fixing it. I know bikes aren't rocket science but I just didn't spend my childhood pulling the buggers apart developing that zen.

I'm also the type that HATES to ask for help if it's something I think I should be able to do, so I frequently find myself stuck in the dilemma of desperately wanting to ask my boy bike buddies how to do something but unable to ask because I just hate to ask for help - even though I know full well they would have no problem with showing me..:-/

However, my next race is interstate with the specific goal of learning to pack, travel and get my bike into working order at the other end by myself. So today I HTFU up and got one of my buddies to show me how to remove the rear derailleur, put it back on & adjust the gears. One more thing I now know how to do:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the idea of learning how to become "one with my bike" from a mechanical perspective, but I haven't put forth the time and effort to learn yet... so I can't complain! But your story reminds me of one time I bought new tires for my wheels and thought it would be the easiest thing to swap them out - I've changed flats lots of times and was pretty confident I could do this. I had an early ride planned the next morning, so after work I decided to swap them out... I got the wheels off and the old tires off, but for the life of me couldn't get the new tires on. Some "google-ing" lead me to believe the new tires were just not broken in and were very tight, so I couldn't get the last "bit" over the rim and on the wheel. Several hours later with bloody hands from blisters and grease / dirt everywhere I broke down in tears and cried in the shower. There were some other underlying circumstances to the "break down", but I was really pissed and angry that I couldn't do this simple task. Needless to say, I put the old tires on, rode the next morning and then popped over to the bike shop and the mechanic got the new tires on in about 5 minutes. He said it was just a matter of "hand strength" and after a while the new tires will get looser and if you get a flat you should be able to get them on / off no problem. Anywho - moral if my story is that yes, I hate doing mechanical, but one of these days I will commit myself to learning how to doing it and loving it :).

Meredith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wimp out and have my husband do it or take it to a shop. The last time we were on a long ride, I got a flat within the first 2 miles. I could have changed the tube, but he did it in under 3 minutes and I didn't have to get greasy.

But I hate cleaning toilets and I do that...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply