Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? July 14 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 14 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 bike, 2 short runs, 1 swim, and 2 strength training sessions, and even had a friendly chat with a couple ladies in the locker room...

Then I woke up on Saturday morning to the incredible pain of my left calf being locked up. Two full days of hobbling put me in a crummy mood. Good thing our house has tons of stairs... not. Such a pisser and no clue what caused it. Has anyone else ever dealt with this?

It's also been hot as hell - avg. of 95 - for the last 2 weeks, which is giving me odd fever dreams at night, but driving down my appetite.

And TC - I am team "TC gets her own kitten" - because while cats are happier in pairs, TC's are happier with kittehs :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I posted last week that I had lost the love of my life and apple of my eye (my cat) - this little bugger came home on Friday. His name is Chester Hobbes. I have not met him yet, as he is in Maine - but I have spent a lot of time Skyping with him. My little brother opens Skype on the iPad and has been good about following the cat around as he explores, eats, and so forth so I can get my cat fix and be "there" for some of the fun of having a new kitten. In this picture, he jumped into the remote control basket. He is 8 weeks old, and it is a foster-to-adopt program. Laws in Maine say you can't adopt a shelter cat until they're neutered, and he is too young - I think in four weeks he will officially be ours (or, as it works with cats, we will officially be his...)

Anyway, my goal for the week had been to finish the Portland Bridge Swim, an 11 mile swim that goes under 12 bridges on the Portland section of the Willamette. I was four miles in when we were forced to get out due to thunder and lightning :-(

Week:
M - 7.5 mi run (4 x 1 mi descending 7:30 - 7:15 pace) + 2700 yd swim
T - 6.5 mi run + 1300 yd open water swim
W - 7.4 mi run (1,2,3,4,3,2,1 min @ 6:58 pace) + 4000 yd swim
T - 7 mi run + 2500 yd swim
F - 9 mi run
S - 9 mi run + 1100 yd swim
S - 4 mi open water swim

Totals: 18,600 yd swim + 46.4 mi run

This week: I am currently on a bus to Vancouver, BC for a conference. I plan to run a 10k on Saturday so I can race abroad... hoping to get to Kit's Pool, the UBC pool, and we're going to hike Grouse Grind on Friday afternoon. Am a bit anxious about the conference (fine - I am anxious about the food part of it - and the late nights that tend to happen).

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 14 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My parents may be swayed into getting a second kitten. Mom and little brother ("LB") went to the shelter on their own Thursday, but couldn't take Chester home until Friday. They went back Thursday night to visit with my Dad. He thought all of the kittens were pretty cute, but told me he was a little sad because "there were a lot of old cats there that looked kind of sad because everyone was playing with the kittens." So I think Dad would like to adopt an adult cat, mom thought kittens playing together were cute, and LB doesn't care. I don't know if it is a better idea to adopt a second kitten, or an older cat (JENSW???) but I'm more interested in - if we were to entertain a second cat - going to the shelter and seeing which one chooses me. The wand chooses the wizard...

Thanks for the support.

Are you from the east coast? I've only ever heard someone say "such a pisser" in Maine, and it's mostly used by lobstermen to talk about a rain storm - "a wicked pissah".

I'd try getting a massage and see if that helps the calf. Fingers crossed for you; let us know.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% Californian, I just adopt a lot of odd sayings... I use 'wicked' a lot and have told MANY times I must be from Europe/second-language-English-speaker because I over-enunciate and tend to speak formally. Bees knees, happy as a clam, quite well, would you be so kind as to..., might I trouble you for..., thank you kindly... I had to deliberately drop "bloody" because people thought I was just being pretentious. I went to college in central CA, where it was a big deal to be EITHER Nor-Cal or So-Cal (and I'm from both in that I lived in So till 6 and visited frequently thereafter) and took quite a bit of shit for my abuse of "hella".

It grates on my nerves how many people in Utah, when ordering food or asking a server for something, will say "can I get..." - sans pleases or thank yous. Yes, you can, but you sound like a dick.

Long story short, I blame having two English majors for parents and being an avid (read: obsessive) reader.

I like the idea of the older cat - I've been thinking the same thing when we get our first dogs, so we don't have to worry about house-training two at once and one can learn from the other (and I'd like a more laid-back pooch).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I intentionally say "maths" and spell using British English. It is purely an affectation, but it's quite fun.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cramping exacerbated by heat??

Is there any way you can get a massage? It will probably hurt like a b*&%, but it might help loosen it up.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 14 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about the heat, since I am 99% inside (I work from home and have bike/treadmill set up in the basement with extra fans) but the foam rolling and self-massage have helped a ton. I'm back to 85% today and am planning a trainer ride. *fingers crossed*

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chica! You are coming to my town - how long are you in YVR? Definitely get to Kits pool, it's worth it - just go EARLY. If you are doing the summerfast 10k, it's a great race, and yes it's fast (flat around the seawall of Stanley Park - you will not have a prettier run almost anywhere). If it'm riding Sat, I might swing thru the park on my way outta town to cheer you on :-)

Too bad about your swim - that sucks when the race gets called early but safety is more important...

Last week: too hot for the really long ride, it only ended up ~3hrs instead of ~6. I just felt like crap the entire ride. ugh. But managed 4 runs and 4 rides last week, plus yoga. No swimming :-(

This week: 5 rides (1 long), 4 runs, 1 yoga, 1 full day consulting in a CHOCOLATE FACTORY :-). will aim for an OW swim this weekend. Also started my FODMAPping. Interesting. Even 1 day feels different - less bloaty. It's hard though. Lots of gotchas.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:

Anyway, my goal for the week had been to finish the Portland Bridge Swim, an 11 mile swim that goes under 12 bridges on the Portland section of the Willamette. I was four miles in when we were forced to get out due to thunder and lightning :-(

Am a bit anxious about the conference (fine - I am anxious about the food part of it - and the late nights that tend to happen).

TC,
Love the pics of Chester Hobbes.
Is the Portland Bridge Swim being rescheduled?
You will be fine with the food, you always do well in these situations - just trust yourself - you will do it!
John
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 14 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We go back Sunday.

I didn't realize that I had to call my bank and tell them I would be out of the country... debit card was "denied" yesterday which was a bit frightening.

12 miles on the UBC track this morning. I am a bit overwhelmed with the size of the campus (not to mention the city).

Had some food issues yesterday due to travel stress :-(

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 14 Edition [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it won't be rescheduled. They have to get the permit way ahead of time, so it is a once per year thing.

Food stress last night; need to get back on track today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
it won't be rescheduled. They have to get the permit way ahead of time, so it is a once per year thing.

Food stress last night; need to get back on track today.

Bummer about the race, 11 mile swim is simply unimaginable to me.

I am sure you will bounce back - you usually have one food stress a week so now it is done and you are back on track! :)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 14 Edition [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the support. I have been doing a good job with 0-1 bad days a week. Yesterday wasn't terrible... just a couple granola bars and some candy... but it's so easy to completely slip. I can do it :-) some of the stress right now is not a fear of bingeing, but having so many conference meals provided and not knowing what they will be.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
thanks for the support. I have been doing a good job with 0-1 bad days a week. Yesterday wasn't terrible... just a couple granola bars and some candy... but it's so easy to completely slip. I can do it :-) some of the stress right now is not a fear of bingeing, but having so many conference meals provided and not knowing what they will be.

Work/School travel is the worst for this very reason. So challenging to have healthy eating habits on the road. Good luck and know you have support here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Swim x 4: WIN
Bike x 3: WIN with 5 (though 1 was just 15mins noodling around my neighbourhood)
Run x 6: WIN
Core/strength x 4: WIN

Sorry to hear about the swim TC - love the pic of the new kitteh, though!

I used to have major problems with nighttime calf cramping, but I think that was a result of the nerve damage I have down my right side (major back injury almost 15 years ago). I haven't had a regular issue in quite some time, but had a nasty cramp a couple of weeks ago - also hot weather, and I think I'd neglected hydration a bit.

This week's goals:
Swim x 3
Bike x 2
Run x 5
Core/strength x 2
Mobility/stretch x 2

Have a race on Saturday - just a sprint tri that I'm doing for fun. Husband and I have done it as a relay in the past, and he says the bike course is lovely, so I'm doing it solo this year so I can finally see it.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Ah yes, if you don't travel outside your country regularly, they will lock up the account when they see unusual activity. I studied (and lived) at UBC, it is a pretty amazing campus. It's a LOT bigger than when I was there. If you get into the Hennings building (Physics, just W from the SUB), my pic is up on the wall, up one floor to the left (Physsoc Exec Yr 95-96). :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I also say WTF about that weather, TC? I lived in Portland for 8 years and I think I saw thunder and lightning like, twice. That was a major fluke. It was icky sticky that day down south in the Bay Area, so I can see it happening, but so weird and what a bummer.

I love your kitten. Love!

I only rode my bike once last week. My parents surprised me with a visit from my grandmother and that occupied my Saturday. I'm trying to find a day to go to the pool - hopefully tomorrow. If not, then Sat. I really need to do this!

Goals:
Walk x 6
Bike x 2
Swim x 1
PT sessions x 2
PT@home x 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh, I used to have my work-provided AmEx denied when I traveled within CA - it was SO frustrating (and embarassing, even though I knew it wasn't my fault - the thing was a no-limit corporate card!)

Mistressk - yeowie - I don't have any nerve damage (knock on wood) and make a point to drink a lot of water, especially when it's been this hot, but I'll keep that in mind. Even today, four days later, the muscle feels rock hard in comparison to the right leg. Thankfully it doesn't hurt - we'll see how PT goes.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 14 Edition [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, I was told thunder storms are rare.

some pictures from the race - I put the wetsuit on after they pulled us out of the water. (I was cold).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
O.M.G. Cutest thing EVER! And the name strikes me so much. I had a cat named Chester when I was a kid that was awesome, pure white with one blue eye and one green eye and deaf as a post. He lived a good long life and then went missing one day. He was an outside cat in spite of the fact he was deaf, and one day just didn't come home. Then my first cat when I was out on my own as an adult was named Hobbes. LOVED that cat...he was also awesome. I had to have him put down 6 years ago due to kidney failure. I still miss him. So...to have a kitten with both of those names...fantastic! :)

One of my current kitties that I thought was having a recurrence of his liver infection recovered completely...yay! Vet bills are a killer...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't hear my name called, sorry for being late!

I always so go for an adult because they take longer to find homes. But still a youngster. A year, maybe two years old. In the end though, they all need homes so if you fall for a kitten, that's OK too.

Do your best to convince them to get a second kitteh. Chester will be much happier and better behaved if he has a companion to grow up with. And two cats are twice as awesome as one :-)

My week in training:
Missed a few days because of work but lost a pound so I'm OK with that.

This week I've got 2 personal training appointments (Mon & Wed)
2 walk/runs (Tues & Thurs)
1 group class if I can get out of work in time. If not I'll swim. (Fri)
1 swim (Sat)
Sunday I'm volunteering at the Seafair Triathlon in the morning then the kitty shelter in the afternoon so I'll take a day off from working out. I'll be tired enough! I'll get in my 10,000 steps between those two.

BTW - I have a fitbit if anyone wants to friend me here is my public URL: https://www.fitbit.com/user/2QHRZF

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply