Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri training creating schizo periods
Quote | Reply
I'm 36, turning 37 in November. I took up triathlon (no, got addicted to!) when I was 33. I'm currently training for my first full (IMFL Nov. 1) and my period has been acting wacky, coming a week early every month for a year now. (I've had blood work done, everything checks out fine. I take a liquid iron supplement, and get plenty of protein.) This month's period really threw me for a loop. I started on Saturday, then nothing on Sunday.?? Started back up on Monday. Tuesday was fine. Last night during my weekly women's road ride, I started bleeding unbelievably heavily. I had to jam a ton of toilet paper in my bike shorts and race home (not a pleasurable experience). I started bleeding profusely and passing clots for about an hour, then things calmed down. I slept for ten and a half hours last night and still feel tired today. I HOPE that the extra training isn't wreaking havoc on my hormones/cycle. Anyone else experience any craziness with their periods while training?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri training creating schizo periods [melowee1977] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe you're hitting menopause and it's not training's fault ? would be kind of early though. Training does influence hormone levels

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Jul 3, 14 17:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
melowee1977 wrote:
I'm 36, turning 37 in November. I took up triathlon (no, got addicted to!) when I was 33. I'm currently training for my first full (IMFL Nov. 1) and my period has been acting wacky, coming a week early every month for a year now. (I've had blood work done, everything checks out fine. I take a liquid iron supplement, and get plenty of protein.) This month's period really threw me for a loop. I started on Saturday, then nothing on Sunday.?? Started back up on Monday. Tuesday was fine. Last night during my weekly women's road ride, I started bleeding unbelievably heavily. I had to jam a ton of toilet paper in my bike shorts and race home (not a pleasurable experience). I started bleeding profusely and passing clots for about an hour, then things calmed down. I slept for ten and a half hours last night and still feel tired today. I HOPE that the extra training isn't wreaking havoc on my hormones/cycle. Anyone else experience any craziness with their periods while training?

I think you answered your own question. You might try adjusting your hormones via birth control options to see if you can take back control of your period.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Tri training creating schizo periods [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried bc with no success and a lot of side effects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem and it was two fibroids that had to be surgically removed. Go to your doc/OBGYN. This is not about the extra training.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Tri training creating schizo periods [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
I had the same problem and it was two fibroids that had to be surgically removed. Go to your doc/OBGYN. This is not about the extra training.

AP
I would go with this post. It is quite true that you could be reaching the pre-menopausal point but fibroids are no joke and tend to do funny things to the body. Birth Control pills tend to keep the flow low and/or nearly non-existent. Visit a doctor to find out what is going on down there and not just everywhere else.

Quote | Reply
A few years ago my cycle changed to about every 21 - 23 days and has been like that ever since. Most times it starts very light and is almost non-existent, like you described, and then can get heavy for a day or so, also like you described. Last month I thought it had disappeared and then suddenly there it was in full force.

I'm not a doctor so I can't really say don't worry about it, but I'm thinking that the 10 hours of sleep and tiredness the next day could also be attributed to your IM training. My first IM was last year and I remember sleeping more than usual.. training takes a lot out of you.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri training creating schizo periods [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Go to your OBGYN. I developed profuse bleeding and clotting out of the blue last November. They detected a mass that they said was probably a fibroid, and I had to have a hysterectomy. Not to scare you, but in my case it turned out to be a malignant tumor. Go and find out. It's most likely a benign fibroid but you don't want to take any chances.
Quote Reply