Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [minny expat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the Dr. has admitted that it wasn't proper.

But was it criminal? In any way? I'm still not understanding what the AG is doing with this.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was replying to Ken's post which pointed out to me that the person who lost the 150 pounds wasn't the person who was "offended" by what the doctor said. I thought they were the same person and they aren't.

So I wasn't being sarcastic and my post is still worthless. Plus it looks like you didn't read Ken's post either. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [Tyrius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus it looks like you didn't read Ken's post either. :)

Neither did tinynoggin....

You cannot call someone "fat". It is derogatory.

Physicians have actually lost lawsuits when it is learned that a patient died of lung cancer and it was never DOCUMENTED (doesn't mean it didn't happen) that an anti-smoking message was delivered.

"No damn doctor ever told me cigarettes were bad for me"--------->doctor at fault
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [tricheermom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tell my patient's all of the time to lose weight, to stop smoking, etc. but I pretty much limit to when the issue is releant
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [Chmoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"No damn doctor ever told me cigarettes were bad for me"--------->doctor at fault

How can this possibly be when the health warning is right on the box? Hard to believe...
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [TTTorso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [tricheermom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just another example of the enabling society we live in. sickening.

sorry, but if someone came to me, with all of these health problems, and they weighed in at obese levels...you can be certain i would say, "YOU ARE OBESE. Until you change this, expect the same and worse...death".

people who get themselves in a situation of morbid obesity are addicted and sick. addiction to food is no different than gambling, alcoholism, etc. if a doctor told someone, "you are a gambling addict", i doubt there would be any investigation whatsoever.

IMO, this is total bullshit.

goes back to personal responsibility.

Oh, and BTW, i had lunch with that friend of mine who is still 50 pounds overweight and drinking like a fish. what did we discuss? how she can't get pregnant no matter what she tries. funny, the things she hasn't tried are quitting drinking and loosing 50 pounds. Geesh. personal responsiblity...i know i'm preaching to the choir on this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
sorry, but if someone came to me, with all of these health problems, and they weighed in at obese levels...you can be certain i would say, "YOU ARE OBESE. Until you change this, expect the same and worse...death".

Would you say: "your husband is going to die first, and your too fat to find another man" ?

Why doesnt anyone pay attention in this thread?

Quote | Reply
There's evidence that obesity is a risk factor for ovarian cancer - you should tell her that.

That's what her doctor told her. But once she found out it wasn't cancerous, she was right back to her old ways. She is too soft and lazy to do anything about it - like most Americans. It's so sad.
Quote Reply
Re: update: he's racist too [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think people need to be told the hard truth, but this guy just seems like an out of control asshole...

CONCORD, N.H. - The state is investigating a doctor accused of telling a patient she was so obese she might only be attractive to black men and advising another to shoot herself following brain surgery.

“Let’s face it, if your husband were to die tomorrow, who would want you?” the state Board of Medicine says Dr. Terry Bennett told the overweight patient in June 2004.

“Well, men might want you, but not the types you want to want you. Might even be a black guy,” it quoted him as saying, based on the woman’s complaint.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you say: "your husband is going to die first, and your too fat to find another man" ?

I probably wouldn't. On the other hand, sometimes it takes tough talk to get someone to wake up.

Exactly. Why won't anyone tell me what the heck the AG is doing involved in this?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

yes if pushed beyond the brink with this woman i probably would say that, and much much worse until i got the pants sued off of me. but i'm sure in medicine there are a thousand frustrating cases next to the one or two success stories...this is what would eventually break me down to the point of saying horrible things, or make me totally hard-hearted to the point where i could barly say anything out of exhaustion.
Last edited by: kittycat: Aug 31, 05 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Exactly. Why won't anyone tell me what the heck the AG is doing involved in this?
Sorry, did you say something? ;)

In Reply To:

yes if pushed beyond the brink with this woman i probably would say that, and much much worse until i got the pants sued off of me. but i'm sure in medicine there are a thousand frustrating cases next to the one or two success stories...this is what would eventually break me down to the point of saying horrible things, or make me totally hard-hearted to the point where i could barly say anything out of exhaustion.

Yes, but if you said that as a doctor, you'd be in the wrong. And when your licensing board investigates and disciples you, it's not "bullshit" or "enabling", it's proper.

Last edited by: jhc: Aug 31, 05 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been following this story for the past week and it seems to keep changing. He is a video clip of the doctor - he said he prefaces each one of these "rude" lectures with "this may be offensive to you and if you don't want to hear it then let me know now".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9063638/

These are people who ignore all the warning signs. They need to told to their face - point blank - "look in the mirror - look what you did to yourself! YOU did that." - and they still don't do anything about it. I'm glad I'm not their doctor - I would be sued for throwing donuts at them on their way out of my office while yelling "clean your fat ass up!".
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [BeeHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a difference between trying some tough talk to get someone to change their destructive behavior, and just hurling obnoxious insults at someone because you're an ass.

I'm just saying.

Quote Reply
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I'm just saying that this is what it takes for some people to "wake up". I'm not down with the attitude that everyone should be nice to everyone else and we should pretend like a obese person is not overweight. Ignoring it doesn't help. If I could insult someone into making a change, because that's the only way to get their attention, then I would. The doctor was trying to help them. In reality I would not be throwing donuts at people, but I am frustrated with how this lady reacted. Is she looking for money or just revenge?
Last edited by: BeeHunter: Aug 31, 05 12:59
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [BeeHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think she is looking for either. The purpose of publicizing this incident is to embarrass the Doctor.

To play devils advocate, why should anyone be able to tell another their narcistic view of what healthy is? What's wrong with looking the way you do regardless of what it might do to your health? Carpe Diem!

To add, I knew a guy who ran 5-10 miles every day since high school. Did the Vegan thing, real slim, healthy looking. Then croaked at 35 from a heart attack.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [Billiken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What's wrong with looking the way you do regardless of what it might do to your health? Because his job is to look after their health
To add, I knew a guy who ran 5-10 miles every day since high school. Did the Vegan thing, real slim, healthy looking. Then croaked at 35 from a heart attack. Not all heart attacks are from clogged arteries or bad diet - some poeple have heart defects they are unaware of
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I'm just saying that this is what it takes for some people to "wake up".

And I'm just saying, as a health care provider, you can only go so far in how tough or blunt you can be. You have to remain professional. There are probably some stuborn assholes who need a kcik to the balls and a "shape up you fat fucker!" speech, but it's wrong for the doctor to do that as well. Period.

The lady is an idiot. The discipline the doctor got is appropriate (except I also dont know what the deal is with the state AG being involved). The two are not mutually exclusive.

His job is to look for effective solutions to health problems. How is telling me I'm fat going to solve things? If he was at his wits end he should have told her that since she had disregarded all of his options that he wasn't going to see her as a patient.

Some people can't process comments like "you're fat", "you're a drug addict", "you've got a problem with alcohol", etc. Those people just have to hit rock bottom.

BTW some people are fat because they have a medical disorder called Prader-Willie-Syndrome. It's a genetic disorder where the person has an obsession for food and has a compulsive need to eat continually without control.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't a doctor tell a patient he/she is fat? [Billiken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, there is also a thing called alcoholism which causes a person to drink without control, but doctors are telling people all of the time "If you don't stop drinking you will lose your job, money, family, home and die alone on the street". Why is it tough love if you are an alcoholic, but rude and insenitive if you are fat?

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply

Prev Next