Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Iraq Constitution: Delievered but incomplete
Quote | Reply
http://www.cnn.com/...iraq.main/index.html

Sunnis not on board

Shiites and Kurds have agreed on the issue of federalism -- the degree of power held by provinces versus that held by a centralized government -- while the Sunnis haven't come on board, Shiite member Jalal al-Din al-Sagheer said before the deadline. "The majority [of the committee] is for federalism," al-Sagheer said. "As for the Sunnis, some got to acceptance; some accept federalism with conditions; and some rejected it."Sunni members of the committee rejected the move, with negotiator Saleh Mutlag saying the draft would be a losing proposition."This constitution does not include the Sunni voice," Mutlag said. "It doesn't include other voices in Iraq."But al-Sagheer said that time constraints required action.Al-Sagheer said that the draft writers could not wait until the Sunnis reach a consensus among themselves.Jawad al-Maliki, also a Shiite member of the committee, said that "consensus does not mean that every slice has to be approved by consensus."Calling federalism "the mother issue of contention," committee member Sa'adoon Zubaidy strongly disagreed, saying full consensus was necessary.(Zubaidy declined to identify himself as a Sunni but didn't participate in the January elections for the transitional assembly. Many Sunnis boycotted that vote.)"If two or more groups decide to go to issue a document in isolation of the view of the other group, then of course the principle of consensus will have been violated," he said. "And I don't think that would be an acceptable way of running business."Having the Sunnis' support is seen as key to the success of the constitution and Iraq's new government. Sunnis hold majorities in enough provinces to nix the constitution under the country's transitional law.

===============

I think it's a little early to be calling this a success, but we will see

Quote | Reply
Why do you hate freedom, you liberal whiner?

He only hates freedom when we try to spread it around. It's fine for him, but not for the darkies in the Middle East. He's a racist hypocrite.

Why do you hate freedom-loving Iraqis, Casey?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Iraq Constitution: Delievered but incomplete [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about how good this is. Even the conservative pundits on fox have some pretty serious reservations about it, which is a very bad sign.

I'm not sure how much freedom there is. Freedom as defined by the Sharia I guess, which isn't a whole lot of freedom.
Quote Reply
Re: Iraq Constitution: Delievered but incomplete [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>>He only hates freedom when we try to spread it around. It's fine for him, but not for the darkies in the Middle East. He's a racist hypocrite.

Damn, look at Vitus callin' names!

Trouble is, V, not all of us think a theocracy powered by strict adhesion to Shar'ia qualifies as "freedom."

Granted, some in your sect probably get hard at the idea of saving our wimmins back here from these decadent and corrupting vices of equal rights and education.

But you'll forgive us secular taxpayers who think that cadging together "Iran, Jr" wasn't exactly worth the cost.

Keep putting the "fun" in Fundie, Vitus...we love you for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Iraq Constitution: Delievered but incomplete [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any Constitution that has written into it "No less than 25 percent of Council of Deputies seats go to women" reflects some serious underlying problems and instability.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Re: Iraq Constitution: Delievered but incomplete [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, it doesn't pass without Sunni approval from my understanding. It only goes to the next step where there is a general election vote to pass it. If the Sunnis can get 3 provinces to vote against it, then it will not pass. The whole process will have to start over with a new round of elected officials. There is a pretty good chance they will get the necessary 3 provinces to vote against if they can't get the other parties to make major concessions in the next two days.
Quote Reply
Re: Iraq Constitution: Delievered but incomplete [tri_larry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, look at Vitus callin' names!

Sheesh. I'm away for a measly couple of weeks, and everyone forgets all about sarcasm.

I know Casey isn't a racist hypocrite, Larry. I just thought I'd save the neo-con contingent some typing, OK?

Trouble is, V, not all of us think a theocracy powered by strict adhesion to Shar'ia qualifies as "freedom."

Well, didn't we all see that coming even before Baghdad fell? That is part of the trouble- we insist that they take freedom, but only freedom as we define it. Oxymoronic, almost.

Granted, some in your sect probably get hard at the idea of saving our wimmins back here from these decadent and corrupting vices of equal rights and education.

Umm, yeah.

But you'll forgive us secular taxpayers who think that cadging together "Iran, Jr" wasn't exactly worth the cost.

You're memory must be slipping. You remember that I'm superfundy, but not how strongly I oppose the war? How close are you to Art's age, anyhow?*

* ;) for clarity.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My post was meant in jest but see my post above in response to the racist hypocrite monger.

Belated smilies, Casey. I was just joking. (And not so much at your expense, either. I wuz poking fun at the neo-cons who love to play this race card. Art pulled it out just last night in another thread, in fact.)

As far as I can tell, we're in near total agreement about Iraq.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought my calling you a liberal didn't need a smiley either Casey :)

Quote | Reply
I was in a sarcastic mood yesterday, see also my comments in "An interesting evolutionary development?"

"It's fine for him, but not for the darkies in the Middle East. He's a racist hypocrite. "

In that case I'm a racist hypocrite for sure. If them darkies can't even get their shit together. If them darkies are so ignorant that they always revert back to their fundamental religious interpretations, and if them darkies continue to spread a vile threat to citizens of the democratic world, then yes I am a racist but maybe not so a hypocrite. If they really can't get their shit together then maybe we are looking at partial genocide.

If it's them against us and if it's them who won't let up on that terrorist shit then why not the G word? It may be the only alternative left.
Quote Reply