Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another dead football player
Quote | Reply
49er lineman Thomas Herrion died on Saturday moments after he stepped off the field following a game with the Denver Broncos.

The team are perplexed? nobody knows how or why he died? he seemed fine and showed no signs of illness.

HELOOOOOOO HE WEIGHED 330LBS. WHAT KINDA SIGN ARE YOU LOOKING FOR??????

The human heart can only do so much. Its a small pump. Its not designed to pump blood through 330lbs of muscle tissue and fat.

Its time the NFL had weight restrictions on players the way cycling has hermatocrit restrictions on cyclists. They can't continue asking linemen to get bigger and bigger every year.

Discuss.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Another dead football player [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I am a Bronco fan (grew up in Denver) I have been following this story. The autopsy was inconclusive as to the cause of death. I was thinking that the combination of his weight (330), the heat (not sure what game temp was, but Denver has been hot this summer), and altitude may have been more than his heart could take. If you'll notice, Denver's linemen are usually among the lightest in the league (usually averaging under 300)--carrying an extra 20-30 lbs. at a mile high would, IMO, be enough to do one in.
Quote Reply
Re: Another dead football player [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see what the toxicology results determine....this could also be a genetic deal (remember Hank Gathers?), but you're right, probably not helped by 300+ pounds of body mass.

Such is the state of the NFL nowadays---I forget what the actual stat was, but something like 10 or 15 years ago there was but a handful of 300 pounders...now there's 300 or 400.
Quote Reply
Re: Another dead football player [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
temp was 65 degrees according to the news...

It's not just football players...just check cyclingnews.com almost any day and you read about another, usually younger, cyclist who died of some sort of heart related ailment.

Herrion had a long history of family heart problems. I'm sure the weight did not help, but then what about the cyclist who weighs 130 and dies of a heart attack?

If it were simply the weight then there should be a lot more dead football players at all levels.
Quote Reply
Re: Another dead football player [jaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, I'd bet there are quite a few of us running around (pun intended) with hearts that do silly things (i.e. irregular heart beats, etc).

I've known (before my endurance sport days), runners that have died suddenly while out running. Other wise very healthy peole, suddenly dying of a heart attack. My parents, my wife's good friend, and the friend of a B-in-Law, have died this way. No smoking, no drinking, just out running on the road, and *bam*, done.

Strongman is another sport that features heavy guys doing steroids tog et bigger, stronger, and faster, simultaneously. They also have a decent sized list of guys that have died young from heart ailments.

Steroid abuse does "harden" cardiac tissue.

To the opriginal question, when will they stop asking FB players, especially OL's and DL's to get bigger? never. Furtermore, they will be and are asking them to get bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, and more agile all at the same time. They are not asking, "How are you doing that?" Are you using in "moderate amounts?" etc.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply