Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Iraq opinions
Quote | Reply
Without arguing the issue of going to war in the first place, there seems to be two schools of thought on Iraq:

1. We cannot fail there. We must stay the course until Iraq has a functioning government and the ability to supply security for the country. Giving a time table for withdraw only helps the terrorists.

2. We must have a deadline to withdraw. Not having a deadline helps the terrorists. It's Ok if in the end, we don’t' win it - as long as we get out.

People giving their opinions on Iraq do it for one of two reasons:

1. They have a political axe to grind.

2. They have sincere beliefs about what is best for our country.

Unfortunately, most of the crap you hear on TV is based in politics. I would further say, most citizens with an opinion also base their opinions from a political slant. There is a lot of ignorance out there in the general public about what's really going on in the world and why.

I used to think this war had nothing to do with oil. I have changed my opinion. I think it's all about oil. It's all about trying to get fanatics out of power in the middle east, not because of altruistic motives, but because they control the oil. We need the oil. We are a junky and they are the dealers. We will do nasty things to get a more secure hold on our fix. We would not be there if they didn't have the dope.

It is also true that if democracy takes hold in the middle east the world would be a much safer place. So maybe some good can come out of this, but we are still going to eventually run out of oil!

Is Bush the dope addict? Isn't it you? Isn't it me?
Quote Reply
Re: Iraq opinions [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Is Bush the dope addict? Isn't it you? Isn't it me?
Not me: I don't drive an SUV, and I own a small house (no huge energy bills). The American citizens are the addicts; Bush is the corrupt judge/politician in the pocket of the pushers (oil companies/auto manufacturers/defense contractors).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't follow your premise. We invaded Iraq to secure oil? It seems to me that if oil was our main concern we should have made an effort to strike a deal with Saddam, he would have been happy to sell it to us. Oil is more unstable now than ever and even if you say the plan didn't go right it still doesn't make sense. Why fight for oil we can buy, especially since we will not be able to just keep the oil for ourselves. If we just want oil we should have leveled Iraq and taken it over as an invading force.

Why are we nice and cushy with our "friends" the Saudi's and we destroy Iraq if is just about oil? Shouldn't we then also invade Saudi Arabia and Kuwait?
Quote Reply
Re: Iraq opinions [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, you need it. It is pervasive throughout your entire life. You are in denial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we went to war for oil, didn't we? So we can get out as soon as the oil supply is secured. Which is as soon as a stable Iraqi government willing to sell us oil is established.

I think that the position of Iraqs government is still weak and unstable. So we can't get out of Iraq for some time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Iraq opinions [fausto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree no pull out can happen. Not for quite a while. And there should be no time table made public.
Quote Reply
Re: Iraq opinions [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's bullshitting who?
Quote Reply