Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Edmonton advice... World Champs
Quote | Reply
Hi Girls. My husband and I are lucky enough to have been selected in the Australian team to travel to Edmonton at the end of August/beginning September for the World Champs - standard distance. We have some time just before and just after the race when we can go and travel somewhere (we have about a week in Edmonton and then free) and I am after some advice/ideas from anyone who has been to Canada before about what to see and do.

Ideas .... please?? :) :)
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton advice... World Champs [Mr + Mrs C.C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to Jasper. See the Rocky Mountains. There's nothing in Edmonton (I lived there for 2 years) that will in any way compare to the natural beauty a few hours west of the city.

Congrats on being selected to represent your country!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
How much time? How much money for the extra traveling?? If you are looking relatively close to Edmonton, I would recomend either renting a car or finding a bus tour & doing the trip to Jasper, then down the Ice Fields parkway to Banff. I have lived in Alberta my whole life & every time I drive the Ice Fields parkway I'm amazed at how beautiful it is.

Drumheller is pretty cool, and a few hour drive from Edmonton. Famous dinosaur museum & the scenery is quite pretty.

Check out Trip Advisor or search tourism Alberta. If you have questions about logistics or how close things actually are, I'd be happy to help more (I live in Edmonton).

If you have the time & money, Vancouver is a quick flight (2.5 hours) and has lots to see/do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May I also recommend Elk Island Park just east of Edmonton. Some lovely hikes and you will see Buffalo. Near the same area is the Ukarainian cultural village. It's pretty neat and the kids might like the hayrides. Both of these things could easily be done in a single day.

If you're flying out of Edmonton, you can do a loop of Edmonton-Jasper-Lake Louise-Banff-Drumheller and back via highway 2. I live in Edmonton and we go camping in Jasper several times per summer it is my happy place and if you want more ideas specific to that area, I can give you a ton.
Last edited by: Marlonius: May 12, 14 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: Edmonton advice... World Champs [Marlonius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yes - Elk Island is a great idea for something close to the city!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats on making the team!

as the others have suggested, i think heading west into the rockies is your best bet. edmonton proper isn't much of a town for tourists - i lived there for 2 years but always struggled to find stuff to do with visitors in the city. jasper is closer and very stunning. banff is further south and more 'famous' - you might find it's a bit touristy, and anyway full of gap-year aussie backpackers.

you could make an awesome loop heading from edmonton to jasper, down the spine of the rockies to banff/calgary, and then back up.

anyway, enjoy!

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As suggested.. the loop from Edmonton - Jasper - Ice Fields Parkway to Banff to Calgary and back to Edmonton has some amazing scenery from Jasper to Calgary.

Congrats on your qualification.. my first duathlon world's were in Newcastle Aus..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I'll be there watching and possibly volunteering. Share your bib number once it gets closer and we'll cheer you on.

I'm not womans, but I live in Edmonton. What others have said, but here are a few things worth checking out in Edmonton proper.

1. Go for a bike ride through the entire river valley. Very scenic, except for the refineries near 17th street. Oh well, we need to pay the bills somehow! Paved trails the whole way.
2. Go see the Muttart Conservatory. Lots of cool plants and stuff.
3. The Devonian Gardens in Devon. More plants.
4. The obligatory trip to the West Edmonton Mall.
5. Royal Alberta museum.
6. Fort Edmonton Park has some cool historical stuff. Close to the race venue.
7. Legislature grounds is a cool spot.
8. Take the tram across the High Level Bridge.
9. Take a ride on the paddle wheel boat the Edmonton Queen.
10. Go to Julios Barrio for mediocre Mexican food and people watch on Whyte Avenue.
Quote Reply